Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana On UCD Campus, Campus Security, Powers Of Both On UCD CAMPUS.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

IT Loser wrote: »
    Is there much drug abuse going on then too??

Anyone else get the impression that IT Loser may be
    an enforcer of the law
    or is he really just
    an IT Loser
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Anyone else get the impression that IT Loser may be
    an enforcer of the law
    or is he really just
    an IT Loser
    ?

just an "IT LOSER".

Ironically, it seems to have escaped your attention that I might be more hell bent on causing trouble or breaking the law, thus my tentative enquiries.

Why would "enforcing the law" alone be the preserve of someone asking the questions I am??

The ones people like you whinge and cry about every single day?

Very simple idea, even for you to follow: is it not better to have private security firms dick the students about rather than have the Gardai waste time doing it.

I always regarded what went on in College as being a special localised form of horseplay, not requiring Garda attention in the first instance.

Telling 8 guys to get out of a 900,000 sq ft car park miles from anywhere at 11pm should never, ever, be the preserve of a fully paid-up member of the Police force.

Let UCD foot the bill to pay an ossified ancient old jobsworth to threaten to puncture footballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I imagine the guards were there because in my experience services get absolutely zero respect from students and are usually just laughed at/abused/run away from/ignored in situations like that outside the student bar on monday at midnight.

Blut wrote: »
    I imagine the guards were there because in my experience services get absolutely zero respect from students and are usually just laughed at/abused/run away from/ignored in situations like that outside the student bar on monday at midnight.

Here is the thing: why not set up a UCD Services which has certain limited powers, powers which could be excercised to right the sort of situation you have described.

One thing I always thought necessary was the surrendering of one student card in order to gain access to these premises to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Here is the thing: why not set up a UCD Services which has certain limited powers, powers which could be excercised to right the sort of situation you have described.
    I don't think that would be possible under Irish law... you'd be talking about effectively setting up a campus police force. Anything that's serious enough to warrant getting the gardai involved would usually allow security (or anyone else present for that matter) to restrain the person until the gardai arrive anyway.
    One thing I always thought necessary was the surrendering of one student card in order to gain access to these premises to begin with.

Yeah, I think strictly speaking the student bar is a members club for UCD students, not a public house. They're pretty relaxed about enforcing that though... I don't think any bar likes turning away customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BusterHighman

Glad I found this thread! There I was thinking the guards where just stalking me, my somewhat boyraceresque car and those lovely big L plates.:p

Advertisement