Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens advice

• 16-01-2009 11:17pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into buying a lens for shooting landscape for my nikon d-40. I don't think there is a point in paying a premium for a nikkon AF-S lens( or am I wrong?) I really don't have a clue what to look for or where to look. Any advice guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can't advise you on the lens, but you should really give the Nikon experts a budget to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I'm looking into buying a lens for shooting landscape for my nikon d-40. I don't think there is a point in paying a premium for a nikkon AF-S lens( or am I wrong?) I really don't have a clue what to look for or where to look. Any advice guys?

Regarding paying a premium - I have a D40 and went to buy the new 50mm 1.4 AFS recently. Decided to get the 1.8 AF* instead (about a third of the price). Now I knew I wouldnt be able to autofocus on the D40, but it'd help me learn to manual focus. Also, with a 1.8, the depth of field is quite shallow, so you can have a good play around with it.

With landscapes, you nearly always focus to infinity, or just a little before it, so manual focus wouldnt be too bad. But if you want to use the lens for anything else, you might miss the autofocus function. I dont plan on shooting any gigs with my 50, I would have gone for the AFS in that case. But if shooting objects that arent moving, having only manual focus isnt the end of the world. You could use the extra few quid for a few filters, which will come in handy with landscape photography.

*Just to let anyone know who is considering the 50mm 1.8 AF for a D40/x/60 model, it does have an aperture ring, but it cant be used. You need to lock it into F22 and control it from the camera itself. I loved the fact it had one, but was disappointed I couldnt use it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

50mm would generally be too long for Landscapes.

You probably want to be about 18mm - 20mm (27mm - 30mm equiv) at the shorter end of a zoom. The lens does not need to be fast but sharp is alwys nice.

I have been using the Sigma 10-20 for landscapes* & it will AF on the D40.

* I am not good at landscapes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

CabanSail that lens looks perfect. I really didn't want to lose out on the auto-focus as I've only had it a few weeks.

They are selling for around 370 on ebay. Would that be the best price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

buy from here http://www.keaphoto.com/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=277&category_id=22

it's $470 which is about €350, and comes from a very reputible source. I have bought a canon 100mm macro and canon 70-200mm L lens off kea-photo and never had any problems.

a lot of boardsies have bought off the shop before as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Those prices are about right. They are quite a good lens for the money. Not as sharp as the top of the line Nikon (or Canon) Glass but then it's a lot cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

buy from here http://www.keaphoto.com/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=277&category_id=22

it's $470 which is about €350, and comes from a very reputible source. I have bought a canon 100mm macro and canon 70-200mm L lens off kea-photo and never had any problems.

a lot of boardsies have bought off the shop before as well.

Similar price in Belfast and no import charges

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/399-030D/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

CabanSail wrote: »
    50mm would generally be too long for Landscapes.

Sorry, should have pointed out I wasnt recommending the 50 for the OP, just using it as an example of the need (or lack thereof) for AFS and my own experience!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

soccerc wrote: »
    Similar price in Belfast and no import charges

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/399-030D/
    i've always been meaning to take a trip up there sometime :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

i've always been meaning to take a trip up there sometime :)

I would strongly recommend it. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement