Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Touch Diamond users?

• 16-01-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here use a HTC touch Diamond? They've been around for some time now, and the price has dropped from release (up to €600) to about €340-400. When the phone came out I was very impressed, but, not knowing a lot about HTC and the cost factor kept me away. Now that its at a reasonable price, I can only find reviews of it from people who have had it a few hours. Main issue seems to be battery life (approx 1 day) but I would assume a firmware upgrade may solve this.

I have been waiting for the Nokia 5800, but with the N97 expected later in the year and probably better to follow, i've decided a to give windows moile a bash. Just wondering if anyone can comment on the handset if they have been using it for a longer period, and how its working out for them?

Thanks

And for those unfamiliar...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 patw

Hi,
    [FONT=&quot]I have been using the touch diamond now for the past couple of months and think it is a great phone. The battery life does remain an issue and that is after reflashing the rom etc. I have used the orbit and orbit 2 but would still prefer the diamond. In my option the diamond coupled with the software available on xda developers makes for one of the nest pda out at the moment. [/FONT]

Hope this helps :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have a diamond since August.
    I found it a great device, with wifi and bluetooth off and the newest firmware I get about 2 days, more than the E66 i'm using currently!

However I have had a problem with mine, it performed a hard reset itself a few times, wiping all my data and has gone back to HTC to get repaired.
    Looks like they have to replace the micro drive.

Overall i'm happy with it and from reading up on the issue it looks like I was unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Been using my Diamond since August. The incredible features coupled with the small size were the major attraction. If you don't mind a bit of tinkering, then you'll love the Diamond. xdadevelopers is an invaluable resource, and upgrading the firmware to a custom ROM should be the first thing you do.

Having said that, Windows Mobile isn't the best designed user experience, even with the Touch Flo 3D layer on top. There are times when I'm fairly frustrated with hard-to-hit buttons, random errors, running out of memory etc. My expectations have been high though since I used Sony Ericsson phones for years and they had IMO the best interface.

The Opera Mobile Browser would be a good enough reason to buy the diamond though. It's fast, and it works. And its thumb friendly. Just make sure you have a data plan first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The Opera Mobile Browser would be a good enough reason to buy the diamond though. It's fast, and it works. And its thumb friendly. Just make sure you have a data plan first!

My main use for this phone will be mobile internet, so that's the reason for looking at it.

Thanks for the replies lads, ordered it last night! Had a look at xdadevelopers and it looks like there is a lot of content to be looked through. If anyone else has had any experiences good or bad let me know, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

hi i've had a HTC Diamond since June/July and I have found it to be great... I use it every saturday & sunday for mobile browsing and find the opera browser meets my needs perfectly.

To be fair I only use it for reading forums, checking emails and checking soccer scores but it handles all these perfectly. The email system pulls down my gmail & yahoo emails and the weather app updates when I go online.

The main reason I like the Diamond so much is because it has a brilliant input system (in my opinion) which allows me to use a t9 panel (like my old SE) to input text. I can't use the iphone for inputting text as it takes me forever but I fly along with the Diamond.

I was seriously considering selling mine but the more I think about it the more I'm not sure if its the right thing to do.

On a side note the battery does only last a day for me but I really don't mind. I can charge it off my sat-nav charger in my car (mini-usb) charge in from a cable attached to my laptop or charge it over night so I don't see it as being a major issue but maybe it is to some people. If you have any other questions feel free to ask as sometimes asking simple questions on xdadevelopers can result in you being flamed as the same questions are asked over and over. I find boards a lot friendlier when it comes to things like that (again just my experience)

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Phone due to be delivered tomorrow or wednesday, you'll be sorry you said that! Thanks

i just won't answer them ;)

only kidding

Well, got the phone, great so far, except for 2 problems, 1 minor.

First off no matter what I try, I cannot configure the vodafone live! access point. I have used live.vodafone.com and username: dublin, password: dublin.

It connects and says I have 3G or HSDPA signal, but wont load web pages or update the weather. I've used hs.vodafone.ie as an access point and it works no problem, same for isp.vodafone.ie. Neither of these two, however, are covered by my data add-on, and thus cost a small fortune to browse.

I contacted vodafone who are updating my add-on so I can use the isp access point, but this update wont be until mid-feb. If anyone has successfully setup the live.vodafone.com access point, can you please point me in the right direction?? (i.e. address, username, password)

The minor issue is I added music and then removed it, but its still looking for it on the touchflo music screen. Any idea how to refresh?

Thanks in advance..

Your major issue I'm afraid I can't help you with as I'm with meteor and just got the settings from them.

Maybe someone else here will be able to help

As for the minor issue... do a soft reset and this should fix the issue.

To do this remove the stylus from your phone and look in the space from where the stylus has come from. You should see a red button there which you should be able to press with the stylus. This should perform a soft reset for you (its just like restarting your computer)

If there is no red button in that space maybe there is a hole under the phone beside the mini-usb slot which if pressed with the stylus will perform a soft reset.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi noblestee,

For your voda issue chack out the following link - I had the exact same problem, but the settings that mkennedy gave me worked for browsing, however did not work for imap and a few other things.

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55893452&postcount=3

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks,
    Didnt sort it but to be honest ill be using the built in media player to listen to music. The touchflo thing is nice but may be irritating to actually use as a music player.
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hi noblestee,

For your voda issue chack out the following link - I had the exact same problem, but the settings that mkennedy gave me worked for browsing, however did not work for imap and a few other things.

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55893452&postcount=3

Yeah, that did the trick. When the vodafone config was done automatically by the phone the settings were the exact same except the password was dublin. Thanks for that though, saved me a few quid between now and when vodafone set up my ISP access point!

Sorry that didn't help

If you go into the touchflo music player and select a different music file to play it should stop looking for the ones you've removed.

Its not something that has ever happened to me so I can't offer any guaranteed solutions

Try the xda-developers touch diamond forum if it persists and see if anyone else has had this problem

Yep, playing another file did the trick. The old files were still in the 'now playing' memory.

Thanks a million for the fast replys lads, appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

noblestee wrote: »
    Yep, playing another file did the trick. The old files were still in the 'now playing' memory.

Thanks a million for the fast replys lads, appreciate it

noblestee, there's a wealth of apps that you can add to your new device to transform it, if you're interested.

Check out www.xda-developers.com as suggested.
    For free apps check out www.freecabs.de and www.pocketpcfreeware.com
    www.pocketgear.com and www.handango.com do commercial apps of every kind but also some free stuff.
    www.mobilitysite.com has some good tutorials on using wm IIRC.

www.pocketpcthoughts.com is good for wm news.
    PDA Essentials is a decent enough pda mag as well that will show you how to do stuff (Easons do it).

Apps you might be interested in:
    SPB mobileshell (overhaul of the UI).
    Tomtom Navigator.
    Kinomaplay (brilliant multimedia player- music/photos/video/radio/flickr/youtube/orb/etc etc all in one)
    Flexmail (as an alternative to outlook).
    Yahoo Go 3.0 (free- combines widgets like flickr/yahoo mail/maps/etc)
    Google Maps (free)
    Mortplayer (simple mp3 player if you getsick of the native one)
    TCPMP (best free video player).
    GSPlayer (free- plays radio playlists).
    Worldmate Pro (travel app- currency conversion/flight times/etc)
    Metro- free world subway guide.
    BART- free bus and rail times app.
    Tomeraider (great reference book reader- IMDB, wikipedia, biographies, travel guides, cookbooks etc).
    SPB gprs monitor (self-explanatory).
    Handy converter (free conversion tool).
    Vtap- free video/wiki article finder (brilliant app).
    Goldenpages java app.
    Eircom phonebook java app.
    Cabbage java app (almost free texts).

Advertisement