Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to Travel to OZ & NZ but don't Know what to do with our Animals?Any Idea's?

• 17-01-2009 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi There,

Myself and my husband want to go to OZ and NZ for 2 months to work for a change and we want to do it this summer 09 also except we have 8 fish and 4 cats.
    I know we could but the cats into a cat hotel place but thats over €1,000 for 2 months which is very expensive.
    But maybe theres a cheaper way, i dunno but €1,000 is 2 expensive for us.

So i'm here asking everyones ideas on what should we do with the cats and fish while gone for 2 months? Any ideas would be greatful to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

TBH I would say - look at the cost of boarding them as being part of the cost of your holiday. It has to be done for you to go on holiday, same as tickets have to be bought etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭blathnaid21

TBH I would say - look at the cost of boarding them as being part of the cost of your holiday. It has to be done for you to go on holiday, same as tickets have to be bought etc.

Okay can you chill out?i do know that. i was looking for other ideas and not a leature and u must have loads of money by the way ur talking anyway. It is the recession after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Okay can you chill out?i do know that. i was looking for other ideas and not a leature and u must have loads of money by the way ur talking anyway. It is the recession after all.

There was nothing wrong with helena's tone. No need to 'chill'

She is right though, when going away for any period of time, you do need to consider your options with your pets.

If you're finding boarding too much, have you asked family or friends to look after them?

Excuse me? No need for the agression. I reckon by your defensive tone you already knew that you might do well to consider your pets when planning your travel.

You asked for advice, my advice is - look at the cost of boarding your pets as being part of the cost of your holiday, that way you can work it into your budget just as you will have to work your other travel costs into your budget. Recession or no recession you will have to pay a certain amount to carry out your plans, this is another cost of your plans. I don't see what your problem is with me saying that.

Also, no need to get personal about my financial state. It's very rude to comment on somebodys finances. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Are your cats indoor or outdoor? Could you split them up and give them to friends or family, or put an ad up in the vets perhaps?

Maybe someone with indoor cats already could take on one or two, and all you'd have to provide is food, and perhaps pay for bills if the cat gets sick .....

The fish should be easy enough to offload, or are they tropical? You could ask around pet shops to see if they'd look after them for you? You've got plenty of time to plan this at least, and I agree, 1000 is madness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Its either friends and family, or permanently re home them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Where abouts are you based?
    Would you not just rent your house out for two months for a cheap enough price and work minding the cats and the fish into the deal? I know you would have to make sure the person was trustworthy and an animal lover but I'd say you'd find someone.
    Or ask a family member if they wanted to stay there while you are away? I'd say a family member would be happier to look after the cats in their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Would you not just rent your house out for two months for a cheap enough price and work minding the cats and the fish into the deal? I know you would have to make sure the person was trustworthy and an animal lover but I'd say you'd find someone.
    Or ask a family member if they wanted to stay there while you are away?

Exactly what I was going to suggest when I was reading this.... especially if they are indoor, less responsibility on someone IMO

Best of luck with it OP, I hope you get sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'm actually house-sitting at the moment for friends who have gone travelling for a few months . I'm looking after their two cats and the house - no money is changing hands because they are happy to have someone minding their place & their cats, and I'm happy to be living nearer to work. They paid for heating oil as a gesture.

You should try asking around your friends to see if you can get anyone to do similar. Yes, it will mean you will still have to pay rent/mortgage while you are away, but when you think that when you come back you would be faced with a deposit on a new place etc, then it probably would be worth your while.

(And I think you should apologise to Helena btw - she was only trying to be helpful! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

its simple fish and chips
    only joking i think you were right people need to chill out

Excuse me? No need for the agression. I reckon by your defensive tone you already knew that you might do well to consider your pets when planning your travel.

You asked for advice, my advice is - look at the cost of boarding your pets as being part of the cost of your holiday, that way you can work it into your budget just as you will have to work your other travel costs into your budget. Recession or no recession you will have to pay a certain amount to carry out your plans, this is another cost of your plans. I don't see what your problem is with me saying that.

Also, no need to get personal about my financial state. It's very rude to comment on somebodys finances. :pac:

Hi helena,
    I'm sorry 4 being rude but it sounded like u had loads of money to just throw away like and i was thinking of a cheaper way.anyway sorry.:)

Where abouts are you based?
    Or ask a family member if they wanted to stay there while you are away? I'd say a family member would be happier to look after the cats in their own home.

Hi Laura,
    ya we would let our house out for 2 months but dunno where we'd find ppl for our house that r trustful and honest. Most of our friends live outside of ireland and some here and family can't do it coz they have no cars and it be complaining we'd get all the time coz i tried asking my mum and got no as my ans and and can't ask the rest coz they double complain.generally when we ask friends to do favours, there suddenly all busy 4 some reason. i like your idea and its a good idea really and its cheaper also.I'd say we'll have to get my hubby dad in the end to do it for us.Thanks.:)

looserock wrote: »
    Its either friends and family, or permanently re home them.

We'd never rehome them permanently ever as we want to keep them forever so i guess its friends or family like u say.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Oh my god! Thats horrible!

Why would they permanently rehome them?? The are going away for 2 MONTHS.

Hi helena,
    I'm sorry 4 being rude but it sounded like u had loads of money to just throw away like and i was thinking of a cheaper way.anyway sorry.:)
    Thats ok, it's stressful trying to figure out what to do, I was trying to be helpful though. Unfortunately it can be hard to pick up on tones.

I most certainly don't have money to throw away, to the point where I was looking for advice in another forum on what tent to buy because a holiday is out of the question for us this year. :D
    We'd never rehome them permanently ever as we want to keep them forever so i guess its friends or family like u say.:)
    Hopefully you will have friends or family in a position to help, another thing you might be able to look at is leaving the cats in the house and paying someone to call in, feed them, play with them, spend time with them etc. Although you'd have to be sure the person would actually spend time with them and not just leave them to their own devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

what about a house sitter who will pet sit too .There are people who will move in your home and look after your animals .for a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

blathnaid21 can i ask were in kerry do u live.?? you can pm me i live in tralee,

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

"Myself and my husband want to go to OZ and NZ for 2 months to work for a change and we want to do it this summer 09 also except we have 8 fish and 4 cats".

I suggest you do your homework on jobs before you do any planing about your animals, if your not flush with cash this trip will suck your wallet dry, it can take weeks or months to sort out work in either Australia or New Zealand and there aint that many jobs going at the moment, even if your a tradie of which there is a high demand you cant work because your qualifications won't be recognised. Any apartment that you want to rent will be for be for a 6 month or a years lease and will be unfurnished. The low paid jobs are snapped up by 18 year old back packers so just consider this when your making your plans. Plan wisely hit NZ for winter, avail of the winter bargains (camper vans are half price), then Oz but stay away from Sydney, It'll bleed you dry. So make it a proper holiday and enjoy yourself as working could be a head ache that you could do without. And ggod luck with your animals, have you considered a house swop?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Starstream

I have a similar dilemma, although a little further in the future, so instead of starting a new thread I'll ask anyone here for their advice.
    Myself and my boyfriend plan on travelling for a year in about 2 years time, however we have a lovely cat that we've had for about 3 and a half years. So I'm worrying already what we'll do with her. I think the best advice for the OP is to rent their place out to someone who would love to mind some pets too, but unfortunatley we don't own, we rent. My parents have already indicated they don't want to, and any friends that don't hate cats may be travelling at the same time. I really don't want to give her up, but I'm stumped at who's gonna want to mind her!
    Any advice appreciated!

• Advertisement

Morganna wrote: »
    what about a house sitter who will pet sit too .There are people who will move in your home and look after your animals .for a price.

I didn't know that. How much is it do you know to do that for people?

mossie110 wrote: »
    blathnaid21 can i ask were in kerry do u live.?? you can pm me i live in tralee,

Hi Mossie,

Is ur surname Quirke by any chance? I live in Killarney but i go to Tralee often as well.

melbourne wrote: »
    "Myself and my husband want to go to OZ and NZ for 2 months to work for a change and we want to do it this summer 09 also except we have 8 fish and 4 cats".

I suggest you do your homework on jobs before you do any planing about your animals, if your not flush with cash this trip will suck your wallet dry, it can take weeks or months to sort out work in either Australia or New Zealand and there aint that many jobs going at the moment, even if your a tradie of which there is a high demand you cant work because your qualifications won't be recognised. Any apartment that you want to rent will be for be for a 6 month or a years lease and will be unfurnished. The low paid jobs are snapped up by 18 year old back packers so just consider this when your making your plans. Plan wisely hit NZ for winter, avail of the winter bargains (camper vans are half price), then Oz but stay away from Sydney, It'll bleed you dry. So make it a proper holiday and enjoy yourself as working could be a head ache that you could do without. And ggod luck with your animals, have you considered a house swop?

Hi There,

We not looking 4 a place in aussie because we staying in brisbane with friends so we have that bit arranged already so its just jobs we after next and to get our visa's. Does it really take ages to get a job there. I'm a student myself and my husband works. I'm 24 now and at college so i thought it mite not be a probelm if i got a job at least but maybe i'm wrong. What do u think? Thanks for the advice and tips.

Starstream wrote: »
    I have a similar dilemma, although a little further in the future, so instead of starting a new thread I'll ask anyone here for their advice.
    Myself and my boyfriend plan on travelling for a year in about 2 years time, however we have a lovely cat that we've had for about 3 and a half years. So I'm worrying already what we'll do with her. I think the best advice for the OP is to rent their place out to someone who would love to mind some pets too, but unfortunatley we don't own, we rent. My parents have already indicated they don't want to, and any friends that don't hate cats may be travelling at the same time. I really don't want to give her up, but I'm stumped at who's gonna want to mind her!
    Any advice appreciated!

Hi There,

Thats okay. Np at all. What about a Cat Hotel? Have u got any siblings that could mind it for you.Cats r so cute. Did u know u can get a passport for your cat but thats expensive thou. U said family and friends can't look after your cat and u 2 want to travel for a year so the only idea i have is a cat hotel but it mite be expensive thou. Could you do a house swap and if there animals lovers, they could mind the cat for you or could you get someone to call in for you that likes cats?

What about a Cat Hotel?

Have u got any siblings that could mind it for you.

Cats r so cute. Did u know u can get a passport for your cat but thats expensive thou.

Could you do a house swap and if there animals lovers, they could mind the cat for you or could you get someone to call in for you that likes cats?

Do you mean a kennels/ cattery?
    I don't think it would be fair to have her couped up in a cattery for a year, plus that would cost waaay to much!

I have a sister with young kids and a brother that has an apartment in dublin so I don't know if either are suitable, but I guess I can always ask!

Yes they are, I'd be sad to leave her! Could get a passport, but plan on backbacking in a few different continents so that wouldn't really work!
    Again, we only rent our house so we couldn't swap or even leave her there without landlady and other tenants permission

I think you're in the best position because you own your house so you can rent it to animal lovers or get a house/ pet sitter.
    I got a petsitter for Christmas, it was 15euro a day, but you could prob get a reduced rate for a 2month period.

Starstream wrote: »
    Do you mean a kennels/ cattery?
    I don't think it would be fair to have her couped up in a cattery for a year, plus that would cost waaay to much!

I have a sister with young kids and a brother that has an apartment in dublin so I don't know if either are suitable, but I guess I can always ask!

Yes they are, I'd be sad to leave her! Could get a passport, but plan on backbacking in a few different continents so that wouldn't really work!
    Again, we only rent our house so we couldn't swap or even leave her there without landlady and other tenants permission

I think you're in the best position because you own your house so you can rent it to animal lovers or get a house/ pet sitter.
    I got a petsitter for Christmas, it was 15euro a day, but you could prob get a reduced rate for a 2month period.

How did you find these pet sitters like where did you look for one?:)

How did you find these pet sitters like where did you look for one?:)

I don't know where you are located but there a couple of websites for ones in galway like petsitters.ie and petangels. I'm sure there are plenty more if you google for your region. You can also find lots of local people advertising in vets or pet shops for these services. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Advertisement