Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying new car

Options
  • 17-01-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking for my first car and im extremely picky I really like the look of the 1999 bmws my max price is 5000 and the engine size cant be more that 1.6 as i won't get insured on anything serious as a result of a crash i Had few years ago. I've seen a couple for nice 99 bmw 316 coupes but the milege is high enough (120k on one and 134k another). Is a car like this silly to buy for me? are the older beamers hard to maintain? I'm worried that the car i get will end up breaking my heart in the long run. Any advice or past experiences with these cars? would parts be expensive/difficult to get? Or should I look at different cars completely?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

brmccfc wrote: »
    Is a car like this silly to buy for me?

I'm not gonna call you silly, but you might be better off running a small 1l car for a few years while you build up some no claims bonus. With the money saved over those years, you will be able to afford to buy and run a nice car indeed. It's just my personal view, but I feel a BMW 316 is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

brmccfc wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for my first car and im extremely picky I really like the look of the 1999 bmws my max price is 5000 and the engine size cant be more that 1.6 as i won't get insured on anything serious as a result of a crash i Had few years ago.
    wat

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy something else that you can afford to insure and maintain. When you can afford it then buy a proper BMW not a 1.6 one.

Advertisement