Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is 'black coddle'?

• 17-01-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,
    I know about Dublin coddle, but but I'm wondering what exactly a black coddle is. I've across that term a few times, and tried googling it to no avail. So, what's black coddle? Inquiring minds would like to know.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tbw

my gran used to make a "black coddle" which was basically a coddle with something like an oxo or dark stock in it. that's the only reference to black coddle i ever had. its very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

I thought a black coddle was with a bottle of Guinness in it? The old Guinness not the new draught Guinness!

Its mentioned here by Ronnie Drew! I must get some old Guinness off the dad and try it! I made a Guinness Pie during the week and it was pretty tasty, but am not sure about in a coddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lanternchikk

Thanks tbw and branners69!
    And yeah, I'm a big fan of Luke Kelly (luvvv the Ginger Dubliner!) so I've read that Gubuwire article too, as well as another one they did about Ronnie and Luke. Both articles mention coddle...and by the way, what do they smoke at Gubuwire?;)

Advertisement