Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom upgraded us from 1Mb to 3Mb!

Options
  • 17-01-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

So We have one of the Eircom packages which includes the 1Mb Home broadband and the wireless router... Have had this package a while now, bout a year or so..

So on Wednsay, Eircom ting to say that the 1Mb broadband in the package is being changed to 3Mb as well free calls to meteor phones (as they have also advertised recently). Strange I thought, for them to upgrade us from 1Mb to 3Mb with no extra cost...

Didn't believe them, nor was I expecting them to do something like that, so I ran a speed test on Wedsday and was getting circa 700~800.
    Today however, the speedtest is showing ~ 1700Kbps!!!!

Anyone else hear of this?
    In Dublin btw...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

So We have one of the Eircom packages which includes the 1Mb Home broadband and the wireless router... Have had this package a while now, bout a year or so..

So on Wednsay, Eircom ting to say that the 1Mb broadband in the package is being changed to 3Mb as well free calls to meteor phones (as they have also advertised recently). Strange I thought, for them to upgrade us from 1Mb to 3Mb with no extra cost...

Didn't believe them, nor was I expecting them to do something like that, so I ran a speed test on Wedsday and was getting circa 700~800.
    Today however, the speedtest is showing ~ 1700Kbps!!!!

Anyone else hear of this?
    In Dublin btw...

My Eircom speed is too fast who can I complain to:) they have broken the terms of the contract I signed up for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

dub45 wrote: »
    My Eircom speed is too fast who can I complain to:) they have broken the terms of the contract I signed up for!!!
    Oi!! no need for that!!! Does the phrase, "too good to be true" not ring a bell in your FAT IGNORANT HEAD?

What if next month I end up getting a bill for €xx, which I may not be able to afford right now? what's gonna happen then? I'll probably be left waiting for God know's how long like everyone else for a mistake THEY made. And a mistake I may not be able to afford.

Yeah, so thanks for your help and consideration before your made your post. /sarcasm.

Smartarse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

FAT IGNORANT HEAD

Personal abuse earns you 1 week off.

Oi!! no need for that!!! Does the phrase, "too good to be true" not ring a bell in your FAT IGNORANT HEAD?

What if next month I end up getting a bill for €xx, which I may not be able to afford right now? what's gonna happen then? I'll probably be left waiting for God know's how long like everyone else for a mistake THEY made. And a mistake I may not be able to afford.

Yeah, so thanks for your help and consideration before your made your post. /sarcasm.

Smartarse.

Apologies. My post was meant as a gentle slag on all the usual complaints made on here against Eircom - it wasnt at all directed at yourself in any sense.

If you get a bill next month for a mistake they made you dont pay it. Pay your usual monthly amount.

If you have concerns about what they did then ring them and ask for assurance that there is no increase in your monthly charge.

Anybody??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I run a business from my house and I have used eircom's business broadband for several years. I started with just 500kbs and was upgraded to 1mbs, 2mbs, 3mbs and 6mbs over the years, all while paying the same or similar charge. Eircom are constantly upgrading their bandwidth and as this happens the price for bandwidth falls, rather than charging you less they give you more bandwidth. It's pretty routine for telecom companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

When did the 1mbit package move to 3 tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

It didn't, but he could have been on an older package and missed an upgrade so two got rolled up at once. Like if he was on the top package when low, mid and high were 256k, 512k and 1m respectively. It happens.

I have to confess that I have my suspicions about the post in the sense that the call sounded more like someone selling an upgrade rather than gifting it.

If it had been a general upgrade boards would have been full of posts about it.

A simple call to Eircom should surely have clarified things no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1 mbit to 3mbit eh ???

Something wrong there. The last change to their retail service offerings was in December. These are the packages offered now

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Sn1_14.pdf

Did you sign up for a talktime bundle ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I think this is just a change in the bundles...

Example:
    "eircom broadband starter & eircom talktime anytime" = €56.22

"eircom family bundle eircom talktime family + 3Mb broadband" = €55.16 (includes free meteor calls too)

ambrose

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Yeah they just moved you from Anytime + 1MB BB to Family +3MB BB
    The only difference is on Anytime calls to uk, usa and canada are 10c p/m
    On Family they are 20c p/m

Also calls on Anytime to mobiles are 5% reduction
    Family calls to meteor are free up to 500 minutes and calls to Vodafone, O2, 3 ect. are 20c p/m flatrate day or night.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1 mbit to 3mbit eh ???

Something wrong there. The last change to their retail service offerings was in December. These are the packages offered now

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Sn1_14.pdf

Did you sign up for a talktime bundle ???

Not recently.
    JohnG18 wrote: »
    Yeah they just moved you from Anytime + 1MB BB to Family +3MB BB
    The only difference is on Anytime calls to uk, usa and canada are 10c p/m
    On Family they are 20c p/m

Also calls on Anytime to mobiles are 5% reduction
    Family calls to meteor are free up to 500 minutes and calls to Vodafone, O2, 3 ect. are 20c p/m flatrate day or night.

It does sound like we've been upgraded from anytime to family, as kingambrose said. Especially as they mentioned the free meteor calls.
    HOWEVER - we make a lot of calls to the U.S. (family) and whatever bundle we had, there was some add-on(or something!) that gave cheaper calls to the US - Eircom had to give it to us if they wanted our business (back). And it was my dad who took the call, so It's very unlikely that our packages would be switched, assuming that it is proceedure that you would inform customers of changes like this.

U.

Did anyone ring Eircom and ask them exactly what package you are now on?

All the speculation in the world is not going to clarify things for you only Eircom can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 artcrit

Two weeks ago i also got a call from a chirpy eircom chap and just like 'unreg' described I too am being upgraded from 1mb to 3mb and its a free upgrade I am told .... my bill stays at the same price and I get more from eircom (for zilch i too am baffled!!) not complaining mind you.... but just today I heard an ad on the radio and it sounds very like my free upgrade as being part of a 3 month trial period .... have I been had ? the chap said there were no catches . So 'unregistered' you were upgraded in january,what happened. ?

artcrit wrote: »
    Two weeks ago i also got a call from a chirpy eircom chap and just like 'unreg' described I too am being upgraded from 1mb to 3mb and its a free upgrade I am told .... my bill stays at the same price and I get more from eircom (for zilch i too am baffled!!) not complaining mind you.... but just today I heard an ad on the radio and it sounds very like my free upgrade as being part of a 3 month trial period .... have I been had ? the chap said there were no catches . So 'unregistered' you were upgraded in january,what happened. ?

Have a look at the sixth post in this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055503903

If I was you I would either email or write to Eircom asking for confirmation that the upgrade is free.

Anyone else getting such calls should definitely ask for the full name of the caller. Sounds like lots of trouble ahead to me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Got the same called and upgraded.

Basically they have a new package that is the same in all ways to one of their older packages expect you get a 3mb line a few other small things.

So i presume they were calling people on the older package to ask them did they want to move as the only difference is you get more for the same price.

Typical Irish instead of saying fair play and thanks its "What's the catch ?"

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jor el wrote: »
    Personal abuse earns you 1 week off.
    It was funny in all fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 artcrit

Thank you dub45 for the link to the other thread! i called up eircom at 1800 503 303 to enquire about my new free package up grade and yes there is a catch!!! its a 3 month trial and its an extra 5 euro a month after the trial .. and the guy should not have made the upgrade without clearly stating that its a trial . You can revert back to 1mb after the 3 months if you wish. I was also told that the eircom care and complaints number is 1800 200 481.

Just a word to to opr your quote

''Typical Irish instead of saying fair play and thanks its "What's the catch ?"

Maybe you should be making a call to eircom to clarify your upgrade instead of having a go.

artcrit wrote: »
    Thank you dub45 for the link to the other thread! i called up eircom at 1800 503 303 to enquire about my new free package up grade and yes there is a catch!!! its a 3 month trial and its an extra 5 euro a month after the trial .. and the guy should not have made the upgrade without clearly stating that its a trial . You can revert back to 1mb after the 3 months if you wish. I was also told that the eircom care and complaints number is 1800 200 481.

Just a word to to opr your quote

''Typical Irish instead of saying fair play and thanks its "What's the catch ?"

Maybe you should be making a call to eircom to clarify your upgrade instead of having a go.

If Eircom are approaching people with a trial offer it is up to the Eircom rep to ensure absolutely that there is no misunderstanding of whats involved. In fact Eircom really should follow up any uptake on this type of offer with an email clarifyiing exactly what is involved and how to cancel the trial when the the three month preriod is up. It would save both Eircom and their customers a lot of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I got the same offer before Christmas, was told that it was free for 3 months and then I would have to pay. I don't use the Home PC much, but said go ahead anyway. I only had eircom for the setanta sports and watching football. Went to watch a match, couldn't see a thing, long story short, although I was getting billed for 3mb I was gettign less than 1mb down the line. Told them to shove the broadband.

Advertisement