Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Cheddar

Options
  • 17-01-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

I've decided to take the plunge and return to full time education - or at least apply and hopefully be successful in my application!:D Having just turned 30 and spent over a decade in unfulfilling jobs I think its probably the best decision I've ever made as I feel like I've been stagnating for years. However, I need some second opinions on a few things - all advice greatly appreciated! :D

Initially I wasn't quite sure what options suited me most so I attempted a few short courses to test the water. I'm currently attending a one year evening diploma course in Social Science so this is pretty much my priority choice as a degree option in UCD as I find it extremely interesting. Having researched the UCD BSocSc I'd like to follow the information studies path within said degree and acquire the librarianship accreditation as I think this gives me something concrete to aim for and also suits my vocational aspirations and personality.

However, I'm a bit worried about the way things have gone and are going in todays economy - what value will a librarianship accreditation hold within 3-4 years? Impossible to predict I'm sure but is it a worthwhile in terms of job market in general or based on graduates experience in recent years? I'll be roughly in my mid-thirties on completion of this course remember, and although I'm really excited to finally return to learning I'm naturally apprehensive of what will follow after that period.

For me the enjoyment is in the journey of education as well as the destination - I'm just fearful of becoming a thirty-something statistic that wasted time, money but most of all effort and still ended back where they started - in a mundane job as cog in a corporate machine, exploited, listless & tired!!

Thoughts, ideas & advice all warmly welcomed - thanks for listening

JC

Advertisement