Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for gym buddy

Options
  • 17-01-2009 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I hate going to the gym by myself but I'm determined this new year to build some muscle. I'm looking for someone to go to gym with once or twice a week, we can spot each other when benching and give encouragement etc.

I don't think there are any weights in DIT gyms so I'd suggest the YMCA on Aungier Street, its cheap and seems to have good enough facilities.

I'm 19 in first year in Aungier Street. Pretty much a beginner to weights.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

They have free weights in the Kevin Street gym... When used correctly these weights would be more than enough to build a substancial amount of muscle.

DIT gym is just as cheap, and for off peak times (10-4) I'd recommend going to it as it can be pretty empty and has everything you'd need to work on every muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Where is the DIT gym? Do they have proper weights (bench and stuff) or just the machines? Also do they allow non-DIT students in, if they are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Gym is in Kevin Street, and is open to the public... As i said they have free weights (not machines) and a bench etc, enough to get anyone started.

All the free weights are dumbells, but as I said already they are more than enough to build a substancial amount of muscle when used correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

The dumbells are located in a small room ( in height and width ). Plenty of them, not much room to use them though. No squat rack though, and no barbells. Not dissing your advice stevire, I just think the gym is lacking. Not that it can be helped, It was never going to get upgraded much with the imminent (:rolleyes:) move to Grangegorman!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Are there fitness coaches in DIT Gym to help people who want some sort of a routine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 GiantJ

Hi dessco, I too am going into first year but in cathal brugha street.
    A gym buddy would be great and by the sounds of it your goals are similiar to mine. One or two days would suit me well as i generally workout at home
    but would like to join the ymca and go once or twice week for motivation,

Carl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

GiantJ wrote: »
    Hi dessco, I too am going into first year but in cathal brugha street.
    A gym buddy would be great and by the sounds of it your goals are similiar to mine. One or two days would suit me well as i generally workout at home
    but would like to join the ymca and go once or twice week for motivation,

Carl

Is there room for one more ??

What you studying in cathal bruagh st??

Going into first year my self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Much better Gym near YMCA that has student rates. It's called Raw and is beside Bleeding Horse pub.
    www.rawcondition.com/

no scope wrote: »
    Is there room for one more ??

What you studying in cathal bruagh st??

Going into first year my self

Your the first to reply so definetely welcome, studying culinary arts catering for health. What are you studying/Where? What are your goals in the gym/ how long you been going for?

omg i wanted to study that but didnt get enough points:(

i got into a plc course in cathal bruagh st its em professional cookery

goals in the gym ?? To lose my beer belly nd get a bit of muscle goin

• Advertisement

omg i wanted to study that but didnt get enough points:(

i got into a plc course in cathal bruagh st its em professional cookery

goals in the gym ?? To lose my beer belly nd get a bit of muscle goin

Sounds good, when u starting? You have any prefernce with regards which gym to join?

havnt a breeze where any of the gyms are tbh

start on the 14th of september

havnt a breeze where any of the gyms are tbh

start on the 14th of september

Me too, Not sure what the college gyms are like heard they don't have
    much in the way of free weights, barbells etc. The YMCA apparently does and its cheap for a student to join,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

GiantJ wrote: »
    Me too, Not sure what the college gyms are like heard they don't have
    much in the way of free weights, barbells etc. The YMCA apparently does and its cheap for a student to join,

YMCA has good selection of free weights but it is tiny and jammed even during afternoon

whatever gym is clostest and cheapest ill go to

whatever gym is clostest and cheapest ill go to

Great. My email is carl.dixon@hotmail.com so give me a shout when we start,
    i'll have a browse around the gyms, see which ones the best option

Carl

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm going into first year in aungier street and looking to join a gym as well so room for one more?:p

I'm going into first year in aungier street and looking to join a gym as well so room for one more?:p

Sure, Give me an email when we start and we'll it out. what gym, time etc.

Advertisement