Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web designers

Options
  • 17-01-2009 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a website made for a small business.Could anyone recommend someone for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Depending what you want really, if I were you I would get a student to do it, much cheaper and you would be helping them to build a portfolio should they need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i could build you a basic html site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Aye Matey!

I could build a dynamic site for you that relies on html, css, javascript, flash animation and php.

I'm not motivated by wage though. The project would actually have to interest me. PM a description or post it publically.

DO NOT go to a web firm. Whereas they might charge a grand minimum a student may charge less than half a grand.

A lot of web designers are about to loose their vocation due to the recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Aye Matey! wrote: »
    DO NOT go to a web firm. Whereas they might charge a grand minimum a student may charge less than half a grand.
    They can, and if price is the primary factor then bully for both them and the client.

However while the quality of design (or development) a student produces may be second to none, it's unlikely they can provide the range of services a dedicated firm can, such as: design and development from people dedicated to those skills; application installation, customisation and bespoke development; initial training and ongoing support; shared, virtual and dedicated hosting, and backup; and probably most critically of all, consultation and advice often based on years of experience in the industry.

So yes, a firm may cost a thousand or more - I run a development firm and our baseline is generally twice that - but the service we offer is completely different to that offered by a student. Both solutions have their places, however price is not the only factor in business, and for long-term web strategy that has a much better chance of suceeding, an experienced web firm should usually be the place to start, even if only for a consultation.

I PM'd the OP a couple days ago btw, no response. If they're not aware of the PM system, please check your Inbox.

adam

Advertisement