Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed limits.. try this.

Options
  • 17-01-2009 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

I drive the 6 miles to and from work every day, i work mostly nights and tend to drive in the bus lanes because i cannot stand people sitting on my tail. I do not ever exceed the speed limit, where its 50km i sat below that, where its 60km i do likewise. The next time you're on a dual carriage way or a road with more than two lanes in either direction for once attempt to stick to the limit for the road you are on and watch how many drivers braek the speed limit.. its practically 100% pf drivers i guarantee you. The vast majority of drivers braek numerous laws evrytime they get in their car, be thwy provisional drivers or if tehy have been driving for 40 years.. the most basic and the easiest to control however is ones speed. Please just try for one day sticking to the speed limit, you will be shocked at how many drivers whizz past you no matter what the road conditions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

heybaby wrote: »
    I drive the 6 miles to and from work every day, i work mostly nights and tend to drive in the bus lanes because i cannot stand people sitting on my tail. I do not ever exceed the speed limit, where its 50km i sat below that, where its 60km i do likewise. The next time you're on a dual carriage way or a road with more than two lanes in either direction for once attempt to stick to the limit for the road you are on and watch how many drivers braek the speed limit.. its practically 100% pf drivers i guarantee you. The vast majority of drivers braek numerous laws evrytime they get in their car, be thwy provisional drivers or if tehy have been driving for 40 years.. the most basic and the easiest to control however is ones speed. Please just try for one day sticking to the speed limit, you will be shocked at how many drivers whizz past you no matter what the road conditions.

And what's it going to achieve exactly?

I've stuck to the speed limit many times but I usually go a few kmh's over.

I can't stand people who go below the speed limit - 40kmh in a 50kmh zone.

Also of course drivers are going to overtake you if you're going BELOW the speed limit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

the speed limit is the max speed in a zone..its not a target

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have you done your test?

Try drivign it at 10kmph and tell the tester its not a target. See do you pass.

The speed limit is a target. On a motorway you should be drving at 120kmph when possible (or 100 on the ones with lower speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You drive a micra with fluffy bunnys on the parcel shelf don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

bigkev49 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

You drive a micra with fluffy bunnys on the parcel shelf don't you?

my thoughts exactly:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not your job to try to police speed limits - and if you're cruising at 50, a person doing 60 is going to look like they going much faster. And you've just said its at night, when there is going to be less traffic at 60 in a 50 is in many cases not going to be any real danger.

I'm a habitual speeder, I will drive at a speed suitable for the road conditions at all times. But this doesn't always mean speeding, far from it. People who obey the speed limits religiously are FAR more likely to go at 50 through a town on an icy night at pub closing time because "its the limit" - even though they're going far faster than is safe; just as they'll pootle along a WS2 grade, empty rural ex-N road because "its the limit".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

You tend to drive in the bus lanes?

Then STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

IIRC There are signs on the way to Knock airport that state that the speed limit is not a target.

Transport.ie state
    "It must be remembered that a speed limit is the maximum speed at which a vehicle may be driven" and

"A speed limit establishes the maximum speed at which vehicles are legally permitted to travel on a length of road. It does not indicate the speed at which all vehicles may travel at all times and in all conditions."

But then.....
    I know that in the test you should drive at the speed that is signposted - If it is safe to do so, or you could fail for not making proper progress.

However if speed limits are a target i pity the poor cyclists who venture outside a 50kph zone!

Personally, I wouldnt be too bothered about someone driving a few kph over the limit( i think the speed cameras allow a slight variation of a couple of kph dont they?)the same as i wouldnt worry too much about someone driving a few kph under. Driving excessively under or over the speed limit is a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

You should concentrate more on your own driving and stop thinking about other people's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

You should concentrate more on your own driving and stop thinking about other people's.
    Agreed 100%. Cant stand people who go on about others driving badly, if their looking at everyone else how can they drive properly themselves. Get a hobby people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

qz wrote: »
    You tend to drive in the bus lanes?

Then STFU.

He works nights, most bus lanes open up at 7. You shut up with your abuse. Well, read the thread first, at least.

@OP - there's ansoultely no reason to be driving at 40km/h not 50. I can understand someone doing 100 or 110 on a motorway if thier car is old or they're not comfortable with the guts of 80mph. But the stupid speeds some people do on main roads is shocking on BOTH sides of the limit. I had to jam on only a few days back cos some dufus pulled out in front of me and absolutely refused to accelerate past 40km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

In one case the op is right. Theres way too many people speeding on a dual carrageway, im not ranting on about it though. People can do what they want if they feel like risking it. I do feel more points should be slapped on people that drive by so many kms over the speed limit.

Not sure about keeping inside the speed limit though i'd rather stay right on the 100km/hr. Yes there is some idiots on the road but life goes on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What i find with dual carrage ways it peoples speed will fluctuate up and down (not the lucky ones with cruise control:rolleyes:), which will always result in people passing out, seeming like others are speeding etc.

When i was getting lessons for my test, i was told to have to speedo marking just a tiny bit above the speed limit. If you go under the speed limit (which a friend of mine did recently) you'll fail for not making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The OP did not say whether or not he is driving in bus lanes which are 24 hour if so then the OP is a hypocrate.

Also you should be driving in the bus lanes when they are not in use. The road becomes are two laned road and you are obliged to keep in the left lane unless otherwise directed.

On speed, leave it to the Traffic corps. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

watch how many drivers braek the speed limit.. its practically 100% pf drivers i guarantee you.

UNQUOTE

Ever heard the saying /phrase "Everybodys out of step except my Johnny ..."?!

There's a common sense reason why everybody but you is going faster.The speed limit is clearly too low.

You hate people 'up your tail' well believe me most drivers HATE being caught /trapped behind an inconsiderately slow driver .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I wish the councils would use the 85th percentile rule when deciding speed limits and that certain drivers would use their brains when driving. Tall order, I know.

I thought the councils were going to review the speed limits a few months after we converted to metric? :confused:

Maybe then we could take them more seriously and rely on reduced limits to indicate a dangerous section of road ahead rather than a recent downgrading to an 'R' road. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Surely the OP is trolling here ?

She should worry about her own driving and not about everyone elses around her.

Perhaps the OP will explain to me why HQDC's have a design limit of 160kph yet only have a 100kph limit. Perhaps she's explains why sections of autobahn with a speed limit have the same death rate as those without a limit ?

heybaby, are you one of these people who like to hog the overtaking lane in an attempt to "regulate" everyone elses speed ?

ytareh wrote: »
    You hate people 'up your tail' well believe me most drivers HATE being caught /trapped behind an inconsiderately slow driver .

Really awful when you come up behind a driver who is driving well below the limit for no reason.

It is even worse when you come up behind a slow driver who does their very best to try to stop you from overtaking them. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ytareh wrote: »
    There's a common sense reason why everybody but you is going faster.The speed limit is clearly too low.

Be that as it may, it is still the limit.

It's because everybody makes up their own rules as they go along why we see the shoyte driving that's going on everywhere on our roads

Just a thought. But if everyone else but the OP is speeding a dual carriageway, then surely she is the danger to everyone else due to her lower relative speed. (Not saying they are not breaking the law though).

If everyone drives fast on a motorway, then it is no more dangerous than driving a lower speed. On a motorway, everything depends on the relative speeds of cars around you. the only difference is that the consequence of having an accident at a higher speed would be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just a thought. But if everyone else but the OP is speeding a dual carriageway, then surely she is the danger to everyone else due to her lower relative speed. (Not saying they are not breaking the law though).

If everyone drives fast on a motorway, then it is no more dangerous than driving a lower speed. On a motorway, everything depends on the relative speeds of cars around you. the only difference is that the consequence of having an accident at a higher speed would be worse.

LOl, i've robbed your post for here as it explains what i was talking about lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Tbh, on some of the dual carrigway type things in dublin where the limit is 50, its safe enough to do nearly double it, its all about speed apropriate to the conditions, at night, there arent that many cars, its fairly safe!

Chances are aswell your speedo is wrong also! So the people you think doing 60 are more than likely only doing 55 :O

timmywex wrote: »
    Tbh, on some of the dual carrigway type things in dublin where the limit is 50, its safe enough to do nearly double it, its all about speed apropriate to the conditions, at night, there arent that many cars, its fairly safe!

Chances are aswell your speedo is wrong also! So the people you think doing 60 are more than likely only doing 55 :O

Quite right. I've heard of some FIAT's which over read by nearly 10% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My Passat is off my 5kph

I have stay fair play to the OP for moving into the far left lane. Because if she was in the overtaking lane doing the ""max speed limit she would have my full beams flashing and horn blasting 10inches from her bumper. ;)

If you drive by the rules of the road like the OP then really drivers like me that drive a good 10% above the speed limit will not annoy you at all other than the moral and risk implications of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    He works nights, most bus lanes open up at 7. You shut up with your abuse. Well, read the thread first, at least.

Very quick to dive in are we not?

The wordign in the OP would strongly suggest the bus lane is 24hr, because heybaby immediately makes an excuse why she is useing it (or maybe she just doesnt know you can use them out of hours, but either way it still sounds like she thinks she is doing something wrong by being there but the excuse covers it).

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

If you go under the speed limit (which a friend of mine did recently) you'll fail for not making progress.

That also happened to a friend of mine a few years back and what was more hilarious was that he was driving a 300hp Skyline! :D

Advertisement