Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Gruden gets Shanahan treatment

• 17-01-2009 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭

Another big surprise here. Mike Shanahan getting the boot surprised a lot of people, but not me. I don't think he has ever been up to it since he lost Elway with the exception of that one lucky playoff win against us Pats.

Anyways this one does surprise me. The Bucs made a mess of it late in the season, similar to the Broncos and Gruden got sacked last night.

The thing about this is that the timing is awful, it pretty much rules him out of any job for the forthcoming season as it happened so late. There might be more than meets the eye in this one. Time will tell. You can read more about it here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd say there's more to this then meets the eye. It's a strange time for them to sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Are there a lot more sackings in the NFL this year than usual. Teams just missing out on the playoffs are sacking coaches.

Are there a lot more sackings in the NFL this year than usual. Teams just missing out on the playoffs are sacking coaches.

I think it's just time has run out for coaches. Shannahan hasnt done much with the broncos and there implosion this year was shocking. Same with Tampa and gruden. Since the superbowl win they havent been great. Mangini has been given alot of time but his record is pretty poor. The raiders/lions just did there yearly coaching change as normal. To be honest I was expecting more coaches to get the sack. If I was GM of the chiefs and the Bengals I'd be busy right now interviewing new HC candidates(Herm could stil get the bullet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

They sacked the GM as well, they're cleaning house big time it seems but why would they do it now? With Monte Kiffen gone too thats a new HC, GM and defensive coordinator needed and unless they have someone lined up this couldn't be a more ridiculous time to do it with good candidates taken already. They must be cleaning house completely, there will be player changes too. Strangegiven they were on the cusp of the playoffs but maybe given the defence is getting a little long in the tooth, they are going into a complete rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

themont85 wrote: »
    Strangegiven they were on the cusp of the playoffs but maybe given the defence is getting a little long in the tooth, they are going into a complete rebuild.

Very true but havent they been like this in the last 6 years since winning the bowl. Time for change. Monte Kiffen telling everyone he was leaving didn't help matters either. The moral would have changed when he sprouted this mid season. And Gruden and Allen never got on ever. Allen was and still is a tool though. The bucs need an over haul dont think the problems were completely Grudens fault but as that article Eagle Eye threw in there young coaches are ruling the roost right now. It seems to be the trendy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Bucs wr michael clayton is not exactly gutted by the move. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth

Hynzie wrote: »
    Bucs wr michael clayton is not exactly gutted by the move. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth

Adam Schefter said that Tampa bay players were interviewed/asked on their opinion on Gruden and none of them had anything positive too say and or backed him at all and thats one of the reasons he got the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A funny one, and there is nothing to it whatsoever, but who was in Tampa yesterday only the legend that is Tony Dungy and it all started on the local radio I believe. But Tony went on Espn radio and laughed at the suggestions and told them categorically that there was no story. He said that he left a coaching job and that if he wanted to be a coach he would have remained there.

Just funny though that the man can't go home without stories getting going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When he complained about not getting to play the Panthers at home I knew the season was doomed. How could you make such a pissy negative comment before their biggest game of the season...Good riddence to Gruden, never really liked him. Its a shame Dungy won't come in but ya got to respect his desicion and he's had a tough few years. He's still a legend for us Bucs fans! A great coach and a great person.

Advertisement