Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inactive members

Options
  • 17-01-2009 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering do you delete members after a certain period if they are inactive?

Just curious as i want someones name and they only have one post and i dont think they have been active in 9 years :eek:

Would it be wrong to steal their name :p
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

9 years feck that. Just pm admin and ask i presume

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Post in subscribers and ask, there probably won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Accounts are never deleted automatically afaik, but it does happen at least manually.

But I really like your name....it is all superheroinesque.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    now theres a name..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Moonbaby wrote: »

I just wanna drop the 1 at the end, hardly worth anyones time :D

you'll need to subscribe first, but after that there shouldnt be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got the number dropped from my name through pure begging. But then, I didn't have the problem of someone else already using the name I wanted.

You're better off finding out if you can have the name first, and then subscribing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Overheal wrote: »
    you'll need to subscribe first, but after that there shouldnt be an issue

Trinitys' avatar suggests she(?) is a subscriber.

Trinitys' avatar suggests she(?) is a subscriber.

Yep sure am!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Post a request in here.

Bear in mind the user could be active on adverts.ie, their postcount / activity won't show up here.

If they're inactive then it's generally not a problem.

SteveC wrote: »
    Post a request in here.

Bear in mind the user could be active on adverts.ie, their postcount / activity won't show up here.

If they're inactive then it's generally not a problem.

I didnt want to request it first without checking if they delete members and out of general curiousity too i wondered
    :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah, sorry, I misread the question.
    They generally don't delete old or even banned accounts unless someone requests the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The problem with taking someone's old name is that they might have posts.
    I guess if they stopped posting 5+ years ago all old posts can be deleted. Then the account can be considered abandoned.

In this case, one post 9 years ago it's easy peasy :) Subscribe.

biko wrote: »
    The problem with taking someone's old name is that they might have posts.
    I guess if they stopped posting 5+ years ago all old posts can be deleted. Then the account can be considered abandoned.

In this case, one post 9 years ago it's easy peasy :) Subscribe.

I'm already a subscriber :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My problem would be if one of the members died (as has happened) - would be very distressing for their friends...sorry for bringing up such a dark case but I am just thinking of a friend of mine who died a while ago - would be devestated if someone used his name again (but maybe I am being sensitive).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think that's one case, Cathy, but I'm sure the powers that be would acknowledge that and refuse, whereas a one post wonder could easily be overwritten without too many problems :)

Again, I'd feel much the same as you if a username of the deceased was taken.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    My problem would be if one of the members died (as has happened) - would be very distressing for their friends...sorry for bringing up such a dark case but I am just thinking of a friend of mine who died a while ago - would be devestated if someone used his name again (but maybe I am being sensitive).

No thats very thoughtful and not something i had considered.

But i would never ask for the name of someone that had been active and then stopped posting suddenly. It would be too weird taking over their name tbh.

This person only has one post and it was made back in 2000 :D

Trinity1 wrote: »
    But i would never ask for the name of someone that had been active and then stopped posting suddenly. It would be too weird taking over their name tbh.
    They'd never give you an account with more than a handful of posts anyway so that couldn't happen.
    It disrupts the timeline too much if they have to delete more than 1 or 2 posts.
    Obviously, it the account was in any way well known, you wouldn't get it either. Common sense rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Who else thought this was going to be a thread about erectile dysfunction? Anybody else? No just me? ....hmmm that's probably a bad sign. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I could be wrong but I think that is an account of an admin's sibling.
    You can ask and I am sure the request will be considered.
    I have seen other dormant accounts have the names switched off them.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think that is an account of an admin's sibling.
    You can ask and I am sure the request will be considered.
    I have seen other dormant accounts have the names switched off them.

I'll probably leave it so, seems more trouble than its worth for the sake of dropping a number :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Trinity1 wrote: »
    I'll probably leave it so, seems more trouble than its worth for the sake of dropping a number :)

Don't give up hope yet. Thead was almost correct.

tr1n1ty is the account she means. She has more 1's that you already.

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The min sentance for Abduction rape and murder is 12 years...

If any of those accounts as stated by the OP become active again in 3 years...

..i have a rival..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I stole someones name once. I didnt even realise it had been used before when I asked. But the powers that be said it was a dormant name and I became KtK for a while. :) So you wont be the first to request a name is reused. Go for it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Depends on each situation I'd imagine. But if someone has very few posts and hasn't been active in ages then I'd imagine it wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If old account is inactive, the name gets changed to [name].old, [name].1, or whatever the admin sees fit at the time.
    You wouldn't inherit their posts or anything! :)
    And sure if their last activity was years ago, it wont interfere with anything ongoing these days.
    It's an easy request, so go for it!

Advertisement