Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lens hoods - worth it?

• 17-01-2009 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's worthwhile using lens hoods and if so, is there any difference between the cheapies available on ebay and branded ones from Gunns etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lens hoods are great for keeping glare and unwanted light out of the lens. They also offer protection. Well worth using. Of course, very wide lenses tend to have very small hoods.

No idea about generic Vs branded, since all my lenses came with their own lens hoods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I always use a lens hood where I have one even shooting indoors or at night. Well AFAIK they are intended to keep extraneous light out of the path of the lens to subject. But, and i've found this useful, it creates a 'buffer' depending on the lens hood itself of maybe 1 - 2 inches which protects the glass of the lens from casual bumps which eventually will happen. Personally, I'd say it mightn't improve your photography greatly but worth it from a piece of mind perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I cant see why there would be a difference.... they (Generic ones) would have to be the same shape so guess they should do the same job.

Personally- most of my lenses come with hoods, and rarely use the hood - they are normally put away with the instructions and boxes after I buy them.

For lens hoods - go for it,
    if you are thinking of Generic Batteries - I'd say stick with originals.
    (A little off topic - but thought I'd throw it out there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have 'em on all my lenses.

Protection ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I cant see why there would be a difference.... they (Generic ones) would have to be the same shape so guess they should do the same job.

Personally- most of my lenses come with hoods, and rarely use the hood - they are normally put away with the instructions and boxes after I buy them.

For lens hoods - go for it,
    if you are thinking of Generic Batteries - I'd say stick with originals.
    (A little off topic - but thought I'd throw it out there)
    I've already picked up generic batteries for my 450D and tbh, I can't see any difference between them and the one I got with my camera. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ordered one to go with my in-the-post 50mm 1.8 and another for my 55-250 IS.

Just got thinking about them when this morning's bright sun-rise reminded me of the light conditions in Zell-Am-See two years ago and thought the hood might be useful when shooting on the slopes in two weeks time. Just hope they arrive in time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Lens hoods look cool!:p
    And protect the lens,stop glare great idea,some ebay ones are crap though i got one with fabric on the inside of it,Got covered in dust..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Makes the lens look more impressive non-photograpers lol :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I always use one when I have one. They cut down the risk of flare and improve contrast in most cases. Not using one can flatten a shot in many scenarios.

PS Generic batteries are as good if not better than originals. I have been using them for years in a 10D, 5D and 40D. No probs ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

99% of the time I never use mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

I ALWAYS use my lens hoods. Cuts down on flare and it also adds another form of protection to the front of the lens.

When buying a lens I make sure I purchase a hood with it. Of course I don't have to worry about that when it comes to my Canon L lenses ;)

99% of the time I never use mine.

Thought a hood would be a must for you,as alot of your shots of protests and what not are during the day..Where the sun can really kill the colours in a pic

Just can't be arsed....I like to travel as light as possible.
    I try not to shoot into the sun anyway...or if I do I use flashfill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have never realised that I don't have lens hood for my nifty-fifty. I must get one!
    I love lens hoods. Improvement in image quality is very big expecially with strong light sources like sun, flash guns, strobes...

ThOnda wrote: »
    I love lens hoods. Improvement in image quality is very big expecially with strong light sources like flash guns,
    It would make that much of a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ThOnda wrote: »
    I have never realised that I don't have lens hood for my nifty-fifty. I must get one!
    I love lens hoods. Improvement in image quality is very big expecially with strong light sources like sun, flash guns, strobes...

I notice they make a good difference in sunny conditions

AR: Yes, it does. There is big mass of glas and plastic in lenses and also meny trasitions between glass(plastic)-air. Every light that is not focused on the sensor causes dispersion of the light in all lenses and on all surfaces.
    It is really worth it. And if you shoot ourdoors in Ireland - it is also at least some rain cover that saves you cleaning the filter every few minutes. At least a little.

A joke, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Valentia wrote: »
    A joke, right?

Actually, I highly doubt it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I presume it is the same with all brands but mine simply reverse and live on the lens when you've put your lens cap on taking up zero room and no weight. Might be something to think about AnimalRights? Then again if it aint giving you problems then maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

My 70-200 just feels incomplete without the lens hood attached. Does keep the rain away from lens as well, as it is a couple of inches deep.

Although much smaller, the hood (and filter) on my wide angle took a beating when I let it fall from shoulder height.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Ohhhhhh..... So that's what those things are that come with the lenses.

U sed to use them years ago, but find them of limited use. If I am shooting where there is going to be flare I hold my hand up to exclude it. I used to get flare when using hoods too.

A joke, right?
    Would you believe that I don't even keep any of my pictures?
    If pixie was to go tits up I'd not even know what I'd ever taken!

As to reversing the hood lens yeah I can do that but it takes up more space in the bag.

I am not saying what I'm doing is correct but I'm just a lazy bugger who lives for anything hassle free.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

more space in your bag?? You serious, do you vacum pack your gear or something, how in earth does it take more space, the space it takes is allocated in bags and not useable for anything else?

I am serious! Big bag too Lowepro Nova 3 AW!
    it's not just the space in the bag its the extra hassle of them on the hood,
    You don't believe me... just ask Borderfox who got to look in my bag yesterday at Dollymount, I'd 3 lenses and not a hood to be seen...maybe I should rummage thru my flat and try to find some of them.
    It's more of a case of if I can get away with something I will, even if it doesn't make sense to others. :o

I cannot wait to get first lense that coudl provide neat housing for it's hood ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

So the difference in space between having a hood on or not is massive? First I heard since the lads said, they screw in the opposite way on the lens which would probably take up an extra 5mm in diameter.

kensutz wrote: »
    So the difference in space between having a hood on or not is massive? First I heard since the lads said, they screw in the opposite way on the lens which would probably take up an extra 5mm in diameter.

I think a few of us have fallen into the trap. AR's I mean :rolleyes:

I've been "away" a bit so I couldn't figure what had happened to warrant the thread in feedback. I'm beginning to get a clue though.......

I suppose we have those who are into saving space and those who are interested in taking the best photos they can.

I think a few of us have fallen into the trap. AR's I mean :rolleyes:

I've been "away" a bit so I couldn't figure what had happened to warrant the thread in feedback. I'm beginning to get a clue though.......

I suppose we have those who are into saving space and those who are interested in taking the best photos they can.

Not sure what you're referring too Valentia but I just find a lens without the hood easier to handle use and pack.

• Advertisement

facepalm.jpg

Suppose its not the lolcats anyway.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this sort of bickering is exactly what keeps me from contributing regularly in the photography forum tbh.

one guy does something one way.
    couple others do it another way.

why does it seem like that there is only one way to do things on the forum when it comes to photography?

if the person who goes against the majority likes the results they get, then who cares.

similarly if the people who do the other method like the results they get, again who cares.

It's more the concept that lens hoods, 5mm in depth if even, made of light plastic, and reversable to fit onto the end of your lens for easy carrying, take up too much space to carry that people have a problem with. It makes no sense what so ever, especially as he's already said he has a large bag....

Exactly Cremo, I don't remember slagging of any of them for doing it their way,
    I expect the wee whippersnappers like CM to have their technical digs as always but the ole man of the forum Valentia's dig was disturbing.

It's more the concept that lens hoods, 5mm in depth if even, made of light plastic, and reversable to fit onto the end of your lens for easy carrying, take up too much space to carry that people have a problem with. It makes no sense what so ever, especially as he's already said he has a large bag....
    Read back the thread, its not just about the size in the bag, I also happen to like handling my lenses without their hood caps.

• Advertisement

this sort of bickering is exactly what keeps me from contributing regularly in the photography forum tbh.

one guy does something one way.
    couple others do it another way.

why does it seem like that there is only one way to do things on the forum when it comes to photography?

if the person who goes against the majority likes the results they get, then who cares.

similarly if the people who do the other method like the results they get, again who cares.

That's not the point at all actually. Not the point I was making anyway. Bickering? Where?

Two points:
    Using a lens hood does improve an image in nearly all cases. Sometimes the difference is small sometimes dramatic.

Lens hoods take up practically no space so I felt the poster was trying to be facetious and to say something ridiculous to stir it. Maybe he wasn't. If not well I misinterpreted. But still find it slightly trollish.

Read back the thread, its not just about the size in the bag, I also happen to like handling my lenses without their hood caps.

ssshhheesshhh, you'll be telling me what hand to hold my todger with as I piss next.

How have you survived here so long?

Show me in this thread where I have did anything wrong?
    Can you imagine the commotion if I told you how to pack your bag?

Lens hoods take up practically no space so I felt the poster was trying to be facetious and to say something ridiculous to stir it. Maybe he wasn't. If not well I misinterpreted. But still find it slightly trollish.

Read the thread again...or to make it easier I'll quote what I said earlier.
    it's not just the space in the bag its the extra hassle of them on the hood,
    You don't believe me... just ask Borderfox who got to look in my bag yesterday at Dollymount, I'd 3 lenses and not a hood to be seen...

Read the thread again..

Huh! How many times a day do you say that?? I am not illiterate!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

***MOD*** Nothing wrong with having differing opinions on a subject/issue but PLEASE keep it polite when expressing your point of view. Any more sniping at each other & they will have to be dealt with. Thanks all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

And mob mentality returns...:(

Jeez it was nice while it lasted, time to back out of thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Agreed

CabanSail wrote: »
    ***MOD*** Nothing wrong with having differing opinions on a subject/issue but PLEASE keep it polite when expressing your point of view. Any more sniping at each other & they will have to be dealt with. Thanks all.

A question for you whats with the "***MOD***"
    We all know you're a mod and if we don't it says it under your name :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ricky91t wrote: »
    A question for you whats with the "***MOD***"
    We all know you're a mod and if we don't it says it under your name :confused:

Some mods do it to distinguish between when there posting as a user and when there posting as a mod. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I have lens hoods for all my Sigma lenses, not, however, for the Canon ones.

I don't use them [much]. Mostly they are another thing I have to clean when I come back from the beach and they haven't historically made a huge difference to the photographs.

I could, I suppose, try them to see if they reduce the amount of spray hitting the lenses but I suspec they'll just make it more difficult to clean the front of the lenses.

Trying to remember if any of the other surf guys I know use them. I'm drawing a blank but they don't fit inside casings anyway and possibly on the wide angles it *really* doesn't make such a huge difference.

Sully wrote: »
    Some mods do it to distinguish between when there posting as a user and when there posting as a mod. :)

I'm sure anyone with a bit of common sense would notice the difference between a post about lens hoods and a post saying "please keep it polite"

I just do it to make it stand out that I am wearing my Mod Hat.

Sully wrote: »

***NOTMOD***

Just, y'know, to be sure you dont get confused here ;) :pac:

I'd agree with Ricky - Kinda common sense
    Possibly warranted....

ps. are modhats stylish? :D

CabanSail wrote: »
    I just do it to make it stand out that I am wearing my Mod Hat.

Yeah? Haven't noticed it before either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement