Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2-UK Contract

Options
  • 17-01-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wondering can anyone help me..

I'm in an 18month contract with 02-UK for my iPhone, due to expire in March 2010.

I'm moving to Dublin later this year, and so the UK iPhone will be no good to me. I am willing to enter a new 18month contract with 02-IRL when I move, would I have a leg to stand on when trying to get out of the contract with 02-UK?

Thanks

Please move if it doesn't belong here :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

misslt wrote: »

I'm in an 18month contract with 02-UK for my iPhone, due to expire in March 2010.

I'm moving to Dublin later this year, and so the UK iPhone will be no good to me. I am willing to enter a new 18month contract with 02-IRL when I move, would I have a leg to stand on when trying to get out of the contract with 02-UK?

Thanks

I am afraid not, unless things have changed since my time, they are two completely different companies.

Sorry I don't have better news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

SDooM wrote: »
    I am afraid not, unless things have changed since my time, they are two completely different companies.

Sorry I don't have better news :(

It seems they're both owned by a Spanish company, Telefonica.

I guess all I can do is call them and see what I can do. Would they be more likely to charge me a cancellation fee or the remainder of the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks

Simple answer, nope, they'll charge you whatever you tariff is x time you have left on the contract so expect a hefty fee, 2 different companies so theres no point even asking they wont do anything for you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What you could do it....I know on pay as you go you can subscribe to a £1.99 per month Bolt-On which allows you, when in Ireland, to ring/text the UK at normal rates. You can also pay a one off fee of £5 to ring/text Irish numbers for 20p per min/10p per text.

It's a bit awkward but maybe it would work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Chances are you'll have to pay the disconnection fee but you can now unlock your iphone 3G so you might as well bring that to Ireland with you and pick a provider over here(not necessarily 02) Ask nicely though, they may cut the fee a small bit, explain you're moving to Dublin and you want to bring your phone with you, they'll tell you its not possible and you say I want to be on 02 IE and they sometimes, now I say sometimes cut the fee down a bit when they hear you'll be going 02 IE(even though you're really joining a company that has nothing to do with them...) Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hey,

Nope, no luck, if I want out I have to pay the remainder of the contract.

I think my stepdad might take it over for me though so I think it'll be okay!

Thanks for the help though :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It seems they're both owned by a Spanish company, Telefonica.

I guess all I can do is call them and see what I can do. Would they be more likely to charge me a cancellation fee or the remainder of the contract?

They are owned by Telefonica, but that doesn't change anything at all, I'm afraid!
    Hey,

Nope, no luck, if I want out I have to pay the remainder of the contract.

I think my stepdad might take it over for me though so I think it'll be okay!

Thanks for the help though :)

He should be able to fill out a document called a change of ownership form, which will allow you to do that. :)

Advertisement