Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband errors - modem or line?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a problem with my broadband for the last 2 weeks and it seemed to start happening after the modem power supply went a little skew ways and repeatedly power off and on the modem. Before I call BT I want to check if the errors in the image attached are line errors or modem errors.

Even though the status is reporting 7616 (Kbps.), I'm not getting anywhere near that. speedtest.net is report 124 Kbps down and 182 Kbps up!! :eek:

These error numbers have occurred over 45 mins approx.

Has anyone seen these sort of problems before?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You haven't gone over your cap by any chance, have you? Check your broadband usage, and it'll tell you if you're currently being throttled down or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Yeah, that's it alright. There is a nice message stating that on my usage meter but although I have a 30GB cap but my stats are saying I'm currently at 25.73GB. Ah well, I'll just have to wait a while until it's all clear again.
    Thanks a mil for the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The usage figure you quoted, will be for the current calendar month, which is January, and will reset in February. The limits are applied on a 30 day rolling period though, and don't reset. So, you're currently limited based on everything you've used in the last 30 days, so as far back as December 18th.

If you downloaded a lot in the end of December, then it'll be a while before your speed comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yeah, that's it alright. There is a nice message stating that on my usage meter but although I have a 30GB cap but my stats are saying I'm currently at 25.73GB. Ah well, I'll just have to wait a while until it's all clear again.
    Thanks a mil for the heads up!

There's no 30gig cap on the 7 meg package, it's unlimited. Well by unlimited I mean that it's subject to a fair usage policy. Throttling only kicks in when you breach the 100gig barrier apparently. Give them a call if you haven't been hammering it in the last 30 days.

Advertisement