Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need carbon monoxide detector

• 17-01-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a carbon monoxide detedctor? I want to close off a vent for a fire that is not used but want the detector in case it is ever lit. I googled http://www.safelincs.ie/Carbon-Monoxide-Detectors/ and considering the Ei204EN Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm with LED at top of page. Do all co2 detectors need fixing with screws to ceiling or wall?

But i do not know much about these things and would appreciate opinions

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

they opperate much the same way a smoke detector works with regards to mounting. the type i have has to be mounted min 12 feet from say the gas burner located in the kitchen. ive seen a lot of gas burners located in bedrooms in wardrobes and places where ppl sleep and it disturbs me, all these ppl can do short of moving the whole system is fit a carbon monoxide alarm. i looked for a mains opperated one but could only get my hands on a kidde battery type. a good elec wholesaler should stock them but be prepaired to spend up to 40 euro for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Do any plug into power outlet like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector
    I know that is in USA but would http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-KN-COPP-3-Nighthawk-Monoxide-Battery/dp/B00002N86A be available here. Since most seem to be mounted on ceiling would thses be effective?

ive seen a lot of gas burners located in bedrooms in wardrobes and places where ppl sleep and it disturbs me

If it's a modern balanced flued roomsealed boiler they are extreamly safe.
    I want to close off a vent for a fire that is not used but want the detector in case it is ever lit

I don't trust carbon monoxide detectors as they can give a false sense of security because some people will trust them even if they have a raging headache and the budgies fallen off it's perch.
    In respect of the fire, if it's gas fire and it requires that ventilation then you can't cover the vent, the only safe thing to do is cap the fire if you do close the vent, i have spent over 20 years arguing with people over why the vents are required for safety. now i am thinking i should say nothing and treat it as natural selection, if it's not a gas fire, then I'll shut up,:) Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Would there have been many Gas Boiler related house fires or death over the years?

I have heat smoke and carbon monoxide detectors all over the house . If does give a sense of security . I am hoping that they are our lifeline if things go wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got a Kidde CO2 detector in Woodies about 2 years ago. Its sitting on the mantlepiece over the fireplace. I test it every now and then, seems to be working fine. I don't know if they still stock them- it cost me about EUR35 at the time.

S.

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »
    If it's a modern balanced flued roomsealed boiler they are extreamly safe.
    open fire
    I don't trust carbon monoxide detectors as they can give a false sense of security because some people will trust them even if they have a raging headache
    Not that complacent even hae flu symptoms this week and vent open but then have the flu
    now i am thinking i should say nothing and treat it as natural selection,
    :D

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Would there have been many Gas Boiler related house fires or death over the years?

I have heat smoke and carbon monoxide detectors all over the house . If does Ive a sense of security . I am hoping that they are our lifeline if things go wrong.
    Double check if you get any symptoms

I have heat smoke and carbon monoxide detectors all over the house . If does give a sense of security . I am hoping that they are our lifeline if things go wrong.

I am not anti detector, it more to do with contexts of possibly closing a air vent for a gas fire and relieing on a detector to save a life, as a gasman i get nervous regarding blocked vents, now open vents and a detector that would make a paranoid gasman very happy:), Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Make Gary happy and possibly save yourself,
    get your appliance serviced once a year. You will be shown a printout of your boilers performance and have the peace of mind that comes with that.
    DO NOT mess with a gas appliance in any way, including removing it. That is what RGI tradesmen are for.

Look at the recent death in westport due to a faulty boiler pumping out Carbon monoxide.

You really cannot be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, however if you are considering blocking off a chimney flue you could consider the Chimney Balloon which is installed in the chimney but is designed to deflate should a fire be started in the grate below, seems like a great idea.
    They are available at http://www.chimneyballoon.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Can anyone recommend a carbon monoxide detedctor? I want to close off a vent for a fire that is not used but want the detector in case it is ever lit. I googled http://www.safelincs.ie/Carbon-Monoxide-Detectors/ and considering the Ei204EN Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm with LED at top of page. Do all co2 detectors need fixing with screws to ceiling or wall?

But i do not know much about these things and would appreciate opinions

Thanks

Jack, I work for probably the biggest supplier of CO Domestic detectors in the world. Practically all manufacturers of the units more or less use the same cell technology for detecting CO and they buy those cells from Citi Technology which is owned by Honeywell.

The TLV for CO is 25ppm which means a human can safely be exposed to less than 25ppm over an 8 hour period. If the device is manufactured to EN5091 standards, then the alarm limits for the unit to set the buzzer will be a lot lower than this and typically are set for 300ppm for less than a 3 min period.

The Honeywell SF products use a small 1" tack supplied with the unit that is hammered lightly into a plasterboard wall and the unit just drops onto it.

They have a 6yr guarantee and a 7yr lifetime which means the battery, etc should last 7yrs and then you dispose of the unit after that.

They are however more expensive than other units you might see in the likes of B&Q like the Fire Angel units but I'm not sure how long they are guaranteed for or last and whether you need to use dry cell batteries on them aswell.

Best thing for you to do is check the standards they are manufactured for and make your decision based on budget/installation etc.

what exactly is involved in a normal service of a gas boiler?

A plumber told me that it simply involves vacuuming out the burner box .
    Which I do.
    If anything else goes wrong the boiler simply wont work. Its modern and has safetys

What im asking is. Does the service man replace parts that are working? Or is it just a good clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

Hi All,
    I will be adding a Smoke and Cabon Monoxide Alarm all in one unit to the product range on the site in the next week or 2.

The one system protects against the two threats and thus you only require one junction box.

Manufacturers claim its the most accurate carbon monoxide sensor on the market as it uses advanced electrochemical CO sensor technology.
    The product is powered by a 9V alkaline batteryalso has two latching features

Its also got two Latching features:

1:Alarm Latch to easily identify initiating alarm after alarm condition has subsided.

2: Low battery latch: to visually identify which unit is in low battery condition.

Two Silence Features:

1: Alarm Silence to temporarily silence nuisance alarms.

2: Low Battery Silence to silence low battery chirp for up to 8 hours.

It uses Intelligent Sensing TechnologyTM to help reduce the number of nuisance alarms.

Unit has a dust cover is meant to be easy to mount and the kit includes mounting anchors and screws.

The end of Life Signal provides audible notification that the alarm needs to be replaced

Finally it comes with 5-Years Limited Warranty

Still have to finalise pricing and so on but if its ok with the Mods here I will post again when its up on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

what exactly is involved in a normal service of a gas boiler?

A plumber told me that it simply involves vacuuming out the burner box .
    Which I do.
    If anything else goes wrong the boiler simply wont work. Its modern and has safetys

What im asking is. Does the service man replace parts that are working? Or is it just a good clean.

They should do a lot more than that especially if they follow IS 813:2002.
    http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/docs/home-services/BC_Silver_TsCs.pdf
    You's also get a safety certificate to prove the boiler is in compliance with regs.

BTW it's very much illegal and potentially dangerous for anyone who is not a Registered Gas Installer to do any work on any gas installation, and that includes DIY cleaning of the burner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Hi All,
    I will be adding a Smoke and Cabon Monoxide Alarm all in one unit to the product range on the site in the next week or 2.

The one system protects against the two threats and thus you only require one junction box.

Manufacturers claim its the most accurate carbon monoxide sensor on the market as it uses advanced electrochemical CO sensor technology.

1:Alarm Latch to easily identify initiating alarm after alarm condition has subsided.

2: Low battery latch: to visually identify which unit is in low battery condition.

Two Silence Features:

It uses Intelligent Sensing TechnologyTM to help reduce the number of nuisance alarms.

Unit has a dust cover is meant to be easy to mount and the kit includes mounting anchors and screws.

The end of Life Signal provides audible notification that the alarm needs to be replaced

Still have to finalise pricing and so on but if its ok with the Mods here I will post again when its up on the site.

If you make it dirt cheap.. i'll post it up on bargain alerts ;)

Hi All,

Two Silence Features:

Something like this wouldn't fill me with confidence. I dont have an iphone cos i prefer to have my music separate from my phone

First they are usually mounted in different locations. Smoke at ceiling, CO in breathing zone.
    also battery dies you lose 2 detectors
    keep them separate, its not worth skrimping on life safety devices

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its not worth skrimping on life safety devices
    true But there is a balance between good value and high quality .

Some of the type I see costing twice as much pass the same standards as the cheap type

true But there is a balance between good value and high quality .

Some of the type I see costing twice as much pass the same standards as the cheap type

True and i'll tell you why. More expensive ones have an integral battery that lasts typically for the life of the unit which is 7yr and they have a 6yr warranty with telephone support. Trust me those girls in the call centre earn their crust.
    Cheaper units you change the battery and you usually get a 2yr warranty. Thats basically what you're payin extra for.

When i mean skrimping though i would rather have a separate co and smoke detectors than a combined unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya-i don't know much about CO detection but i can't figure a combined CO/smoke unit being a great idea

http://www.eielectronics.com/images/stories/pdf/FAQs/CO_QA.pdf(page 9)
    i thought they should be separate as there was different actions required for each event

for CO you would open windows, whereas for fire they stay closed

-and as already they'd prob be fitted in different locations

M cebee wrote: »
    ya-i don't know much about CO detection but i can't figure a combined CO/smoke unit being a great idea

http://www.eielectronics.com/images/stories/pdf/FAQs/CO_QA.pdf(page 9)
    i thought they should be separate as there was different actions required for each event

for CO you would open windows, whereas for fire they stay closed

-and as already they'd prob be fitted in different locations

like you say, they are the actions to take in the event of an alarm going off.

I would still rather have different units. Usually your smoke detectors are in your hall and landing, but no point in having a CO detector there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GarMani

Call me paranoid, but shouldn't you have a gas leak alarm too?

Call me obvious, but is there some company that makes an alarm for gas, carbon monoxide and smoke/heat (as in fire) all in one unit?

If not, why not? I'm hardly more intelligent than the combined workforces of so many companies...or am I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

GarMani wrote: »
    Call me paranoid, but shouldn't you have a gas leak alarm too?

Call me obvious, but is there some company that makes an alarm for gas, carbon monoxide and smoke/heat (as in fire) all in one unit?

If not, why not? I'm hardly more intelligent than the combined workforces of so many companies...or am I?

Looks like they're out there alright.
    http://www.ncbi.ie/shop/daily-living/smoke-alarm-%26-carbon-monoxide-combo-%28dl1574177%29
    http://www.manufacturer.com/product/i1743623-6-Inch+Big+Base+Combo+Detector+with+Multiple+Sensing+Technology+%28Wireless+Model+Available%29.html

Advertisement