Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to get coal west side of the city?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Given the sh1te weather i'm gonna have a nice hot fire today methinks. Can anyone tell me where to get coal in the west of the city? Hardly ever use coal, used to burning timberrrr

Oh, and what's the best stuff to get for both a combo of flame/bit of heat?

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Given the sh1te weather i'm gonna have a nice hot fire today methinks. Can anyone tell me where to get coal in the west of the city? Hardly ever use coal, used to burning timberrrr

Oh, and what's the best stuff to get for both a combo of flame/bit of heat?

Cheers folks
    topaz on newcastle road or garden centre just down from westwood
    hotel sell coal!!!
    should try those compressed fire log thingys think they are brill for a
    bit of heat,made from wood chippings, mighty altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

minxie1 wrote: »
    topaz on newcastle road or garden centre just down from westwood
    hotel sell coal!!!
    should try those compressed fire log thingys think they are brill for a
    bit of heat,made from wood chippings, mighty altogether :)

Thanks for that, will pop down.

Those wood chipping things - I found them sh1te :( Mind you, they could throw out a bit of heat but I didn't notice as I was burning timber anyhow. But they're not at all like firelogs, not designed to get a fire going, just designed to chuck in an already-lit fire

I just want the glow of coal today with the sh1te weather outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will pop down.

Those wood chipping things - I found them sh1te :( Mind you, they could throw out a bit of heat but I didn't notice as I was burning timber anyhow. But they're not at all like firelogs, not designed to get a fire going, just designed to chuck in an already-lit fire

I just want the glow of coal today with the sh1te weather outside
    get the polish stuff so its better than the "cosy glo" imo

minxie1 wrote: »
    get the polish stuff so its better than the "cosy glo" imo

RACIST! :pac:

Only messin, cheers for that. Gonna test these 1eur Spar firelogs, see if they're as sh1te as people claim :o

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Where can you get the compressed wood chipping things? Sound interesting!

• Advertisement

buzz55 wrote: »
    Where can you get the compressed wood chipping things? Sound interesting!

Nearly all supermarkets/shops - pretty much anywhere that sells firelogs. I found them sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to get my coal from the place on the corner by the Galway Harbour Hotel. Not sure if it's cheapest or anything but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Coal!? Really John, Coal!!?

I would have thought your device would have been at least nuclear powered, or something renewable, I'm starting to lose my respect for you as an evil genius... honestly... coal is so 19th century!

Coal!? Really John, Coal!!?

I would have thought your device would have been at least nuclear powered, or something renewable, I'm starting to lose my respect for you as an evil genius... honestly... coal is so 19th century!

Coal was for a fire lad, i'm getting some plutonium for the 'device'... just waiting for it to reappear on the Eurosaver menu. Let the respect resume :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

anybody see any good deals about recently

shop near be in bushypark sells the smokeless coal for 10 a bag of 20kg or 20 for 40kg

20kg seems to only last 3 fires if im lucky

Does anybody in advertiser etc sell proper coal- i think we're only supposed to have smokeless in the city, was back in donegal at weekend- good proper coal fire- hard to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Joyces in Knocknacarra has 20kg smokeless coal for €8.99, got some today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Westside Fuel Supplies delivers, it's around €18 for 40kg. 091 441271

If you ring now you might get it delivered this evening, he's still at work.

(This may be a slight plug, the coal man is my dad)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

cheers guys

will give them a call this week

does he do kindling sticks as well-

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

if you have a van or trailer then i would go to the place mentioned above [Donnelly's] i think.16e for a bag of smokeless 40kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

shaggykev wrote: »
    anybody see any good deals about recently

shop near be in bushypark sells the smokeless coal for 10 a bag of 20kg or 20 for 40kg

20kg seems to only last 3 fires if im lucky

Does anybody in advertiser etc sell proper coal- i think we're only supposed to have smokeless in the city, was back in donegal at weekend- good proper coal fire- hard to beat

Exactly - proper coal,anybody know where we can get this? More irregular shapes and blacker than the smokeless,and makes little micro-explosions and sounds when the fire hits pockets of gas,throws out better heat and lasts longer.It's probably marketed as 'organic coal' or something these days..

Also 'slack',the little pebbles of coal that turns the fire into a furnace for hours after you pile some of it on.Think there's some of the traditional coal deliverymen still selling this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

moonflower wrote: »
    Westside Fuel Supplies delivers, it's around €18 for 40kg. 091 441271

If you ring now you might get it delivered this evening, he's still at work.

(This may be a slight plug, the coal man is my dad)

Will def get this as long as it's smokeless...

is it?

cheers

bryanjf wrote: »

is it?

cheers

I can see the advantages of having smokeless for the health of everyone,but now and again I'd like to have coal that smokes and belches gas..and drinks...and eats meat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I used to get non-smokeless coal from the Silver Strand petrol garage on the Barna Road a few years ago. I couldn't say if its the cheapest

Thanks,might check there if it stays like weather for the fire.It's probably more expensive alright

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

My goodness, reading this thread has made me appreciate our local garage/garden centre/woodyard/centre of the earth even more!!
    *Smyth's - Williamstown*

I buy the 40kg bags of coal - I'm not sure it's 'smokeless', but it's PROPER coal, huge bits, little bits, burns well, burns HOT....
    And it's 13.50 euros a bag!
    I know if I was to get 10 or 25 bags at a time, there's a discount as well - I think 10 bags work out at 130 euros.

We didn't use coal last year, but with the peat not properly dried out this year, there's just no 'oomph' in it, so a few handfuls of coal a day added to the peat, keeps our water hot, our radiators toasty & our back room between 77 & 82 degress - magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Owldshtok wrote: »
    I can see the advantages of having smokeless for the health of everyone,but now and again I'd like to have coal that smokes and belches gas..and drinks...and eats meat

I'm in the city so need smokeless.........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

is it?

cheers

It is smokeless, it's illegal to sell smokey coal in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 subarufan

I'm in the city so need smokeless.........;)

haha. ders no such thing as smokless coal. haha.
    where ders smoke ders fire ;)
    but on the backs of d receipts In tesco they'v cheap coupons on dem. haha.
    15per cent of coal in texaco near the docks.
    :eek:.
    wats the weirdest thing bout a fire? is coal'd. haha. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

They will slap 13.9% carbon tax on coal in the budget next week. They reckon that more coal will be brought in from the north as they have no carbon tax on coal and only 5% vat on it. Seems as we are paying enough tax on coal already without a carbon tax on it.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1111/1224258551260.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi subarufan and welcome
    Please use plain English on this forum, no txt spk
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Lydons garage in moycullen has a sign for 40kg bags from 15 euro. Havent been in there so im not sure what kind of coal it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Thanks for the info moonpig will def be getting some in the coming week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kiniska

I haven't bought coal in a while, but I was in the Centra Petrol station across from the airport in Carnmore and they had a sign for 3 20Kg bags for 25 euros, relative to prices in this thread seems like good value. Also note th 20Kg bags are a lot handier, ever try pouring a 40kg bag into a coal bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

That must be the smokeless stuff that destroys the grate over time. Gimme the proper stuff any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Paul in Barna Hardware beside Fat Tonys sells the proper stuff for about €18 a 40kg bag. Proper good warm fire. ;)

Advertisement