Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer Money to a sterling account?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 2:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭

I have 10k in an Ulster Bank Deposit Account with a crappy interest rate - around 2.5% Gross. Q is should i better off transferring to a sterling account now that sterling is weak against the Euro as surely Sterling will rise in the future. Anyone know if this is possible with banks and is it worthwhile?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

you can open a sterling a/c with any bank in ireland.
    not sure if they pay interest on it.

why not just move your money to a higher interest rate account?

taken fom http://www.ulsterbank.ie/ri_01a.asp?id=PERSONAL/SAVINGS_INVESTMENTS/INSTANT_ACCESS/PLUS

eSavings Plus - 5.50% AER* variable (includes a 6 month introductory bonus of 0.50%)
    Interest paid monthly
    Instant access - No notice required, however no interest will be paid in any month where a withdrawal is made.
    Minimum opening balance of €15,000 (maximum €1m)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Sterling interest rates are lower than ECB rates (1% versus 2%). You probably won't make as much interest on a sterlin account - even if you can open one. You might make a bit if the value of sterling bounces back up in a few months - but that might be a bit of a risk.

Advertisement