Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin forerunner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Can Garmin 405 users post tips on how to get the best out of the watch?

I have one and wear it on most runs but just use it to monitor speed and distance, and the odd time my heart rate. However, I don't think I exploit all the watch has to offer.

Does anybody use the coaching functionalities and create training schedules, or use the virtual partner, etc? What else should I be doing, and how?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Cualaman wrote: »
    Was up north on Saturday and picked one up in Halfords in Craigavon for 169.99 and i am delighted with it so far. Check the Halfords website, you can reserve on line and pay when you pick up in the store.
    Good luck
    Cualaman

What make/model did you pick up for 169.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yep, I used the Workouts for my recent 10k training, and it worked out great. I'm not using this functionality at the moment, as I'm marathon training, and the sessions tend to be '10 miles aerobic with 10 x 100m strides', which you really don't need the advanced training functionality for. So these days, I have: distance, heart rate and pace per lap showing on the screen. Occasionally I will also use the training partner and set a target pace for my run.

I have uploaded courses to the watch, but only used them once as I like to vary my route as often as I can.

When I was doing the 10k training, I created a workout for each different type of activity, e.g.:
    10 Minutes Warm-up
    12x400m Repetitions @5K pace, with 200m rest between repetitions
    10 minutes Warm-down

Then I could drag and drop the various workouts in to calendar to schedule the workouts for the 5 or 6 weeks up to the race. The workouts are also stored on the watch, so alternatively you can just select one on a specific day that suits.

Things like intervals are very easy to manage on the watch, and great if you don't have a track available to you. Some of the other programs are great if you don't have good discipline, e.g. warm-ups and warm-downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I currently have a 305 which I love. I'd ditch her for the 405 in an instant though if they could only extend the lifetime of the 405's battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Cualaman

What make/model did you pick up for 169.99?
    The Garmin forerunner 305

Cualaman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I like the 405 but I've had a couple of problems with it. I really don't like that "Ant stick" thing which you have to plugin to your PC. I left my laptop on the floor and ended up stepping on the stick, and bending it. It's not quite broken, but I don't think it will last very long. They should have designed it to use bluetooth, which most laptops have builtin.

I must have a very fat wrist as well, because it just about fits me, on the last notch of the strap. I imagine it's designed to fit most people, but it might be wise to try one on before buying it, if anyone is thinking of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i just bought a new 405 online with ant stick and heart rate yoke. cant wait to get in teh post hopefully this week"! including postage i spent 245 EURO which seems good to me.
    let us know what u think of it when u get.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not got round to trying out any of the other training features yet, but I did set the Virtual Partner up with the pace that I wanted for the Cupids Dash 10k at the weekend. It worked very well for what I wanted, expect for me making a mistake in my calculations and not quite setting it how I had intended, but did mean I'd got a fair guesstimate of if I was actually going the speed that I had wanted for the route.
    plodder wrote: »
    I like the 405 but I've had a couple of problems with it. I really don't like that "Ant stick" thing which you have to plugin to your PC. I left my laptop on the floor and ended up stepping on the stick, and bending it. It's not quite broken, but I don't think it will last very long. They should have designed it to use bluetooth, which most laptops have builtin.

I must have a very fat wrist as well, because it just about fits me, on the last notch of the strap. I imagine it's designed to fit most people, but it might be wise to try one on before buying it, if anyone is thinking of it.
    I've been having a slight issue with the ANT stick as well, but only that it detects the new workout, starts downloading and then stops claiming that there isn't really a new workout. I think that is just down to various strange goings on on my laptop at the moment, but I do still manage to get everything off the watch after restarting a couple of applications first.

I've found the watch strap to be slightly awkward as well, but think it's just the fixed width of it then making it almost too tight on one notch and then way too loose on the next notch along.

Yep, did the same thing. Laptop dropped off the laptop table and snapped the USB ANT stick in two (though I can't really blame Garmin for that). I would've preferred the more straightforward USB connection to upload data - I mean I still use USB to charge the watch. ANT is a form of Bluetooth, but has much lower power requirement. Garmin also purchased the company that created the ANT protocol (Dynastream), so expect more of this in their products in future. ANT is also used for the HRM, footpod etc., so the power req for bluetooth in each of these devices would have been too high.

robinph wrote: »
    I've been having a slight issue with the ANT stick as well, but only that it detects the new workout, starts downloading and then stops claiming that there isn't really a new workout. I think that is just down to various strange goings on on my laptop at the moment, but I do still manage to get everything off the watch after restarting a couple of applications first.
    I used to get that, but it was down to the upload to the Garmin Connect website failing, rather than the upload to Garmin Training Centre. Try clearing out the caches where the Garmin workouts are stored, e.g.:
    \Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\YYYYYY\Garmin Connect\Pending Uploads

• Advertisement

Yep, did the same thing. Laptop dropped off the laptop table and snapped the USB ANT stick in two (though I can't really blame Garmin for that). I would've preferred the more straightforward USB connection to upload data - I mean I still use USB to charge the watch. ANT is a form of Bluetooth, but has much lower power requirement. Garmin also purchased the company that created the ANT protocol (Dynastream), so expect more of this in their products in future. ANT is also used for the HRM, footpod etc., so the power req for bluetooth in each of these devices would have been too high.
    Yes, bluetooth has a much greater power requirement, but I think it would have worked ok, if the data transfer was only done when the user actually requested it. Bluetooth is faster and it wouldn't have needed that much power for the short time needed. But I agree, USB would be a simpler answer.

I've just remembered my biggest problem with the 405. On the three occasions I have raced while using it, I've set up the watch just before the start, and then just before the race starts, it has switched back to watch mode. So, I'm nearly being run over by people trying to get past me, while I'm foostering with the watch :rolleyes:

I've just remembered my biggest problem with the 405. On the three occasions I have raced while using it, I've set up the watch just before the start, and then just before the race starts, it has switched back to watch mode. So, I'm nearly being run over by people trying to get past me, while I'm foostering with the watch :rolleyes:
    I'm probably coming across as a Garmin sales rep at this stage, but have you considered turning off the timeout?

This feature's only available if you have upgraded the firmware. It's in:
    [Training]
    [Options]
    [Timeout]

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have you updated firware lately? They put in an option to turn this off a version or two ago, to stop this very issue:
    Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

Added timeout setting to the Training Options menu that disables the automatic timeout to power save mode when the watch is in training mode.

edit - doh. krusty beat me too it while I was finding release notes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

I know this has been done on other threads, but went to purchase a 405 on www.heartratemonitors.co.uk this morning, saw a forerunner 50, they have a page where you compare garmin products, both the 405 and 50 are pretty similar what is the advantage of having a GPS system with the watch, I can get a good deal on the 50 including the bike set and save around 80 sterling.

I am a total technophobe so thanks for the advice

Btw thanks to those who responded to my running form question

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ergo

nortal wrote: »
    I know this has been done on other threads, but went to purchase a 405 on www.heartratemonitors.co.uk this morning, saw a forerunner 50, they have a page where you compare garmin products, both the 405 and 50 are pretty similar what is the advantage of having a GPS system with the watch, I can get a good deal on the 50 including the bike set and save around 80 sterling.

I am a total technophobe so thanks for the advice

Btw thanks to those who responded to my running form question

I'm definitely not the best person to answer but I suspect the GPS feature (which makes the 405 so expensive) allows you to accurately log your distance and routes run instead of just your heart rates. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong

Have only just started looking for a HR monitor, if someone could tell me in a nutshell is 405 simply a sleeker version of 305 and would both be equally good for coverage when running under trees I'd appreciate it?

Yep, that's correct, you also get elevation information. Plus you can also setup predefined routes and race against yourself (on a previous run on the same route). Also, the GPS isn't as affected by stride length (which the 50 can suffer from). The 405 will be very accurate (within certain tolerances) but the accuracy of the 50 depends on a consistent stride length and leg-turnover, elevation and regular recalibration.

A couple of benefits of the 50 over the 405:
    It will track your distances covered indoors, on the treadmill.
    It records cadence-type information.
    Battery life.

Anyone know if it's possible to edit an activity, either on the watch or the website? I forgot to reset the activity at the race yesterday, and then pressed the timer start button on the way home, so the timer continued on from the end of the race (until I got home). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

You should be able to delete the extra time as it will be recorded as a new lap (presuming you hit the stop button when crossing the finish line). I have a 405 and use the Training centre software that came with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

just another q.
    had satelite located and watch set to 00:00 ready for the off. did this about 10mins before the race start. just before the actual delayed race start i looked at 405 and there it was ' gone' . just the time of day showing. i quickly managed to get the sat back . how long do you have it ready to go before it switches back/off to time of day ? thanks.

You should be able to delete the extra time as it will be recorded as a new lap (presuming you hit the stop button when crossing the finish line). I have a 405 and use the Training centre software that came with.
    Thanks, though it seems to be recorded as all one lap. I thought you had to press the other button to start a new lap anyway...
    [edit]BTW I did press the stop button.

To ManFromAtlantis:

There is a setting that will switch off that timeout on the watch. Very annoying it is ..

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can turn off the timeout, but the watch has to be in training mode (i.e. ready to go).

[Menu] [training] [Options] [Timeout] [Off].

Anyone know if it's possible to edit an activity, either on the watch or the website? I forgot to reset the activity at the race yesterday, and then pressed the timer start button on the way home, so the timer continued on from the end of the race (until I got home). :rolleyes:
    Each activity gets uploaded to your computer as an XML file. If you really need to, you can find the XML file, edit it in a text editor, and delete the extra data that you don't need. You can then re-import the file into Training Centre, Garmin Connect or MotionBased. If you need more info let me know.

Each activity gets uploaded to your computer as an XML file. If you really need to, you can find the XML file, edit it in a text editor, and delete the extra data that you don't need. You can then re-import the file into Training Centre, Garmin Connect or MotionBased. If you need more info let me know.
    Right, I just figured it out. Each time you press start, you record a new "Track" rather than a Lap. So, I deleted the extra Track, and then fixed up the time and distance summaries. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Hi - Hope it's ok to hijack the thread. I've been having a few slight issues with my 405, which I've been using since January. Anyone else have these?

1 - The point-to-point GPS recording seems to go a bit haywire sometimes, and will record ludicrously high speeds, giving spikes on the graph in Garmin Connect.

2 - The GPS sometimes starts recording a while after I've started running. So time data is correct, but distance data is too short meaning average pace calcs are off. I presume this is to do with not having a strong enough signal at the start. Which brings me to...

3 - How long is it supposed to take to find a signal? And should it pick up the signal when I'm standing beside a building in town (ie outside my flat)?

All in all, it just feels a bit unreliable and that I need to check all the figures against Google maps. I guess I'm wondering if these issues are inherent in using GPS (eg switching between satellites or similar), if I'm doing something wrong, or if my unit is faulty.

Cheers.

Hi - Hope it's ok to hijack the thread. I've been having a few slight issues with my 405, which I've been using since January. Anyone else have these?

1 - The point-to-point GPS recording seems to go a bit haywire sometimes, and will record ludicrously high speeds, giving spikes on the graph in Garmin Connect.

2 - The GPS sometimes starts recording a while after I've started running. So time data is correct, but distance data is too short meaning average pace calcs are off. I presume this is to do with not having a strong enough signal at the start. Which brings me to...

3 - How long is it supposed to take to find a signal? And should it pick up the signal when I'm standing beside a building in town (ie outside my flat)?

All in all, it just feels a bit unreliable and that I need to check all the figures against Google maps. I guess I'm wondering if these issues are inherent in using GPS (eg switching between satellites or similar), if I'm doing something wrong, or if my unit is faulty.

Cheers.
    I find it typically takes 30-50 seconds to "find the signal" from when I switch on the GPS. But on mine, you can't switch to the training mode until the signal is found anyway, so I don't get how you're able to start the timer, beforehand. Do you leave GPS enabled all the time, by chance?

Another thing I find is, that it's best to stay in the one place while the GPS locks on. It always takes longer if you start running first. And also, the clearer the view of the sky you have, means it will be quicker as well. So, if you can move away from buildings, then it will lock on quicker as well. But it should still work even if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I find it typically takes 30-50 seconds to "find the signal" from when I switch on the GPS. But on mine, you can't switch to the training mode until the signal is found anyway, so I don't get how you're able to start the timer, beforehand. Do you leave GPS enabled all the time, by chance?

Another thing I find is, that it's best to stay in the one place while the GPS locks on. It always takes longer if you start running first. And also, the clearer the view of the sky you have, means it will be quicker as well. So, if you can move away from buildings, then it will lock on quicker as well. But it should still work even if you don't.

if you tap the training button once while it is searching for satelites it will go into training mode andlet you start. I've often got annoyed waiting for satelites to fix so do this and take off running and after a while it will usually pick up the satelites, sometimes quickly, sometimes a bit longer.

ekevosu wrote: »
    if you tap the training button once while it is searching for satelites it will go into training mode andlet you start. I've often got annoyed waiting for satelites to fix so do this and take off running and after a while it will usually pick up the satelites, sometimes quickly, sometimes a bit longer.

Yeah - that sounds likes what's happening. I'm just in from another run along some of the same route as yesterday - it started recording position at almost the same point a mile in. I'm in an area with lots of stone walls and the like, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's poor reception. Although it does pick up location fine on the way home.

What I don't like though is that the average pace is then wrong because it's calculated from inconsistent data.

I don't want to sound like I'm moaning, because I think it's a great wee gadget. It's getting me into running at a given HR bpm for a certain length of time rather than by pace/distance.

What do you folks use for software? I'm not too keen on either of the Garmin offerings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What do you folks use for software? I'm not too keen on either of the Garmin offerings.
    Garmin Connect is getting better... gradually, but their Training Center software is awful. The Connect site keeps on changing though as they transfer more stuff over from the MotionBased site. I never actually used that though, and you cannot sign up for it anymore I think.

I'm now using SportTracks as well which can take a little getting your head around initially, but it is very good and even more importantly it's free.

Sportstracks 2.0 +1.
    It's a great piece of software, and offers features that the Garmin offerings don't, like tracking your running shoe mileage, creating splits in your activities over different distances, etc. I still use Garmin connect (for sharing), and Training Centre (as a backup) as they're automatic (The data starts uploading as I'm arriving to my front door), but if you want to do more analysis than the poorer Garmin tools offer you, then Sportstracks is definitely the way to go. Now I just need a performance worthy of further analysis. I'm tired of looking at the bad runs. :)

• Advertisement

Cool. I've downloaded SportsTracks alright, but I've never spent time getting to know it. I do like the facility to edit routes etc easilt (in fact I have been using that to correct the odd data I've been getting recently).

It doesn't help that my PC is dying a slow death so I'm using a small-screened netbook for most things. Multiple panes on a screen tend to look crowded. (See how I'm convincing myself that I need a new laptop because of running! And they say all you need is a pair of shoes....)

@Krusty - I do feel a bit daft talking about all this analysis when I look at my average speeds.

Advertisement