Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin forerunner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a very cluttered interface, and is difficult to figure out how to negotiate your way around the product, but when you figure it out, it does have some great features. For example: the High Score Plugin, which will trawl through your data and find your best performances over pre-configured distances, e.g. your best mile, your best 12 minutes (Lecheile's Cooper test?!), 10 mile etc. It works from all data points, so not necessarily aligned with your splits, if you know what I mean. Mostly useless, but fun all the same!

My fastest mile: 5:24 at Annacurragh IMRA race
    Distance covered in 12 mins: 3,332m (the same Annacurragh race (elevation change = -332m!)).
    Fastest 10 mile: 1:10
    Fastest Half: 1:34
    Fastest 26.2: 3:20

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

It's a very cluttered interface, and is difficult to figure out how to negotiate your way around the product, but when you figure it out, it does have some great features. For example: the High Score Plugin, which will trawl through your data and find your best performances over pre-configured distances, e.g. your best mile, your best 12 minutes (Lecheile's Cooper test?!), 10 mile etc. It works from all data points, so not necessarily aligned with your splits, if you know what I mean. Mostly useless, but fun all the same!

I've been playing with it a bit this morning, so it's coming together a bit. I must look at some plug-ins.

Can I see a graph of (say) HR versus speed for a particular run, like in Garmin Connect?

I've been playing with it a bit this morning, so it's coming together a bit. I must look at some plug-ins.

Can I see a graph of (say) HR versus speed for a particular run, like in Garmin Connect?

If you're looking at a chart, just click on the [Select more charts] icon, at the top-right of the chart and add the elements you want to see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As I'm sure that there are a lot of you reguarly running around Venezuela you may like to know that there is a new update for the 405 that has just been released. Update Page

There is also some other changes to do with saving locations and fixing lockups, but I'm sure those don't interest anybody really. ;)
    Garmin wrote:
    Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

* Added Venezuela and Australia-Lord Howe Island time zones.
    * Fixed problem where Daylight Saving Time setting could get set back to default when switching between Time1 and Time2.
    * Display 100 locations instead of 50 in the list of locations to go to since 100 locations can be saved.
    * Fixed possible lockup issue that could occur when creating a lap.
    * Fixed problem where course goal time incorrectly included paused time.
    * Updated translations.

Edit:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think it has killed my 405. It is now stuck on a screen saying "LOADER LOADING..." and is not responding to any button presses at all. No mention of the error on Motion Based forums either as far as I can see yet.

robinph wrote: »
    I think it has killed my 405. It is now stuck on a screen saying "LOADER LOADING..." and is not responding to any button presses at all. No mention of the error on Motion Based forums either as far as I can see yet.
    Have you tried holding both buttons down for around 10 seconds?
    I'm posting from Australia-Lord Howe Island as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

My chest strap for my 305 appears to have stopped working. I changed the battery, but that hasn't solved it. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Peckham wrote: »
    My chest strap for my 305 appears to have stopped working. I changed the battery, but that hasn't solved it. Any ideas?
    +1

I've discovered the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my 305. Decided to start monitoring heart rate, dug out the strap which I haven't used for at least a year, but nothing from it, despite changing battery and licking the back of the strap til my mouth was dry :p
    Hopefully someone has a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Peckham wrote: »

I can't remember the 305 to well but with the 405 there is an option to pair it, so maybe thats whats needed, only guessing though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

robinph wrote: »

I decided to upgrade last night, just in case I find myself in South America, or some Australian island unexpectedly, and it worked ok. I checked how to do a factory reset first though, so I don't know if you've seen this:
    Follow these steps to reset the device:

*Warning - A Master Reset will erase all saved data on the Forerunner.

1. Press and hold the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset buttons simultaneously
    2. Keep both buttons pressed for 8 seconds or until the screen goes blank
    3. Then release the Start/Stop button and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for an additional 3 seconds
    4. Release the Lap/Reset button
    5. Select the Enter (Start/Stop) button to clear user data

Once these steps are complete, follow the setup prompts. Set profile options and charge the battery completely before using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Bobby04 wrote: »
    +1

I've discovered the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my 305. Decided to start monitoring heart rate, dug out the strap which I haven't used for at least a year, but nothing from it, despite changing battery and licking the back of the strap til my mouth was dry :p
    Hopefully someone has a solution?

Have the same prob myself. Found this but haven't tried it myself yet. Will do this evening....

http://www.runbulldogrun.com/forerunner-305/i-fixed-my-garmin-forerunner-305-heart-rate-monitor/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It lives. :D

Think it may have been my laptop playing silly buggers and resetting the ANT stick during the upload for some reason, but a few resets of the watch and some mild abuse shouted at the laptop later and I have it upgraded ready for my Venezuelan adventure. It does not seem to have deleted any of my data from the watch after all the resets either, although the ANT agent on the laptop does still think that it has yet to send to new firmware to the watch even though that is already done.

Think I may be doing a reinstall of that before I next try uploading anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cashel

Hi,

I've been running on and off for over a year now. I've just signed myself up to the Addidas series with the hope to then do the Dublin Marathon.

I'd like to get a garmin that would help me with my training and I just wondered whether the 305 would suit or whether I should go for the 405. Will it last me longer? Do I need it?

Any advice really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I have a 405 and I like it. It makes training logs easier and the splits (pace per mile) information is very good. It is crap in the rain though (the touch bezel goes mental so if you are running in the rain just lock the bezel (press both buttons simultaneously) and it is fine.

Cashel wrote: »
    Do I need it?
    99.99%* of all marathon runners historically, have met their goals without using a Garmin Forerunner, so do you need it? No.
    Will it help?
    Probably. It'll certainly help with training and also potentially motivation.
    Why not borrow someone else's first, and see if you find it useful?

As for which one to buy, it depends on whether you prefer form (405) over function (305). I love my 405, and wouldn't part with it for all of the runner's sweat in London yesterday.

*: Statistics based on what I dredged up from the mists of my cup of tea.

I needed my 405 because I need gadgets. Does it make any difference to my running or not is a totally different question though, I couldn't do without it now though.

When I was looking to get mine though the cheapest place I found them was Amazon, but that meant me getting it delivered to a UK address and then picking it up next time I visited, the cost of Ryanair flight being less than the difference of buying in euros in Ireland. Amazon do now deliver electronics to Ireland though so anyone looking to pick up something such as the 405, or any other widget, may well find that is a cheaper source of such things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Have the same prob myself. Found this but haven't tried it myself yet. Will do this evening....

http://www.runbulldogrun.com/forerunner-305/i-fixed-my-garmin-forerunner-305-heart-rate-monitor/

Finally got to try this last night, and sure enough it solved my problem. Thanks :)

RJC wrote: »
    I have a 405 and I like it. It makes training logs easier and the splits (pace per mile) information is very good. It is crap in the rain though (the touch bezel goes mental so if you are running in the rain just lock the bezel (press both buttons simultaneously) and it is fine.
    Thanks for that RJC

Thanks for that. If I'm going to invest I guess I should go for the 405. I'll have to keep an eye out for the best value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Most of what these gadgets do, can be done with a cheapo stop watch, google maps, and a pencil and notebook. The one thing I find them really useful for, is pacing, which is something I find almost impossible to do subjectively

(check elara.ie for their prices as well. They were quite good value when I got my 405)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Got mine from dabs.ie last october, they were good value then compared to other online retailers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

RJC wrote: »

+1 on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

plodder wrote: »
    Most of what these gadgets do, can be done with a cheapo stop watch, google maps, and a pencil and notebook. The one thing I find them really useful for, is pacing, which is something I find almost impossible to do subjectively

(check elara.ie for their prices as well. They were quite good value when I got my 405)

+1.
    Got mine from Elara as well, and way cheaper than anywhere else. The 405 was the same price as other places were selling the 305.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 typerchick

Hi sorry for hijacking thread!! Ive read all replies so I apologise if the question i am going to ask has been answered already! I am going crazy at this stage! Wanted to buy my boyfriend a watch he wants to track training sessions and compare them to see if he is getting faster etc.

As Im pretty broke at the moment ive just bought the forerunner 50 but it just has the usb. Will it not record his workout with out the foot pod?

Sorry for coming across so misinformed and blonde but I genuinely dont have a clue about any of this !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

It'll work as long as you calibrate the foot pod. You don't get the run up-loaded onto a map though. that said, I spent years with an excel spreadsheet, mapmyrun.com or google maps and a 19.99 lidl watch with a heart rate strap and I was as happy as a sandpiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

looks like garmin are updating their servers today so no uploading to connect.

On a different point, has anyone got the 405 cx and attempted to change the strap to one of the velcro ones. I have because I like those velcro ones. Its a fiddly process and one of the parts is a little loose now. Anyone had a similar experience.

Thanks RJC So if i get a foot pod he can keep a record of his pace/distance and time on the actual watch and compare?

He is not very good on the laptop so I doubt he will be recording data that way for a while anyway.

typerchick wrote: »
    Thanks RJC So if i get a foot pod he can keep a record of his pace/distance and time on the actual watch and compare?

He is not very good on the laptop so I doubt he will be recording data that way for a while anyway.
    Yes, with a footpod he can record pace and distance. He won't really be able to do too much with the information without uploading it to the laptop, but he can still see his distance covered and his pace (and he can write these down somewhere if needs be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

looks like garmin are updating their servers today so no uploading to connect.

On a different point, has anyone got the 405 cx and attempted to change the strap to one of the velcro ones. I have because I like those velcro ones. Its a fiddly process and one of the parts is a little loose now. Anyone had a similar experience.

Yeah, I thought my whle system had packed in but this is my conclusion from trying to manually log into garmin connect. Will todays workout be automatically uploaded next time I turn the computer on? It has already gone from my watch to the usb ant stick,(i think) but no further.

Nope, but I did stumble upon a Youtube Video on how yo do it.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much! Ill pick up a foot pod and see how it goes!!

Advertisement