Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin forerunner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Nope, but I did stumble upon a Youtube Video on how yo do it.

yeah I saw this aswell and tried to follow it, garmin guy made it look easier than I found it anyway, anyway it seems solid enough, it is a cool piece of kit but I was just saying in my log there that my regular 5.2 mile run was actually 5.13 and there is a huge difference between my pace on the flat / downhill than there is going uphill. Obviously this is gonna be the case but it came as a shocker when I saw my mile splits, I start (going down) and finish on a hill, my first mile was 8 mins, last 9:30 and I thought I finished strongly - I am really loving those red lines on Garmin Connect though using google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Also try Sportstracks. It's got a lot of cool stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I've given up on Garmin connect. Something changed on it recently and I'm no longer able to make it tell me my weekly mileage, except for the last few weeks.

Using SportsTracks now, and so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HPJ

on a slightly different point, i've a new 405 which i have yet to get round to using! Can the software that comes with the 405 be downloaded onto multiple computers? As i run into work most days i would like to have the software both on my work and home PCs to upload my runs.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

HPJ wrote: »
    on a slightly different point, i've a new 405 which i have yet to get round to using! Can the software that comes with the 405 be downloaded onto multiple computers? As i run into work most days i would like to have the software both on my work and home PCs to upload my runs.

thanks
    You won't want to use it on one computer, never mind two, because it is so crap. The web application (Garmin Connect) is not much better. You should try SportsTracks instead, which is free. I'm sure there are lots of other ones as well. Though to answer your question, I'm pretty sure it can be run on more than one PC.

• Advertisement

The problem with having sportstracks on more than one computer, is that your runs are not centralized. They'll live on whatever computer you uploaded them to (but I'm aure you can get around this by doing some kind of regular merge).

Regardless of which application I use to analyse (or store) my run, I still upload it to the same computer to Garmin Training Centre, so at least I have a backup/local copy.

Garmin Connect is ok. Definitely getting better. But you still need to upload to a computer first using the Garmin software.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Hi All,
    Is the Garmin any good for tracking your mileage when your on the bike. I have a polar 720 and was thinking of going for the garmin as the polar is great on the bike but no good for running.

Thanks.

I've used mine on the bike several times and never had any problems. You'd probably be better off getting a handlebar mount for it though, as taking your eyes off the road to study the finer detail of the watch can be damaging to your health. If you have loads of money you should buy a Garmin Edge (and buy me one too).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

speaking of which there is one for sale on adverts.ie and i am in no way affiliated with the sale of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Close to moving away from my Timex Trail Runner S&D and getting the 405, I have 3 x Timex HM bands - does anyone know if they can be paired with the Garmin?
    Also £182 seems to be the lowest price for the Black (excluding the HM band) - anyone find cheaper?

• Advertisement

Pretty sure they can't be paired, as Garmin uses ANT technology to communicate between devices, which I don't think Timex use for their devices (2.4Ghz?)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Can I ask where did you find it for £182? Does this include shipping? Looking for one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Question for Krusty et al:

I am a Garmin 305 user moved to using SportsTrack from the Training Center software. I used the workout feature on the training center a bit so I installed the Garmin connect Plugin to to the same in SportsTracks. My issue is when I create a workout in Sports tracks it will not export to device it just hangs. My workaround so far has been to export to a file (.tcx I think) and import this into training center which then can export the work out to my device. :eek:

Activity import works fine in SportsTracks so its not a connection issue. Anyone else ever get this issue? Is there a better plugin for what I am trying to do? Maybe I have to pay some license to allow export?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Also a Q for the experts - I've recently had trouble uploading, the info goes over from the watch OK but on the Training Centre upload page the bar starts to upoload then freezes at the very start. Has only happened recently, but it's very irritating.

Any ideas KC et al?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

http://www.gotmine.co.uk/ have it for £185 with free shipping. Only catch is it needs to ship to mainland UK.

Alara seems to be the cheapest irish site. Would defo like to know where it is selling for £182.

Domer

stmochtas wrote: »
    Question for Krusty et al:
    Activity import works fine in SportsTracks so its not a connection issue. Anyone else ever get this issue? Is there a better plugin for what I am trying to do? Maybe I have to pay some license to allow export?
    Thanks in advance.
    I haven't seen this before stmochtas (I still use the workout feature in Garmin Training Centre, which is transferred using the ANT agent). You could try Garmin's 305 forum here or even better, the Sportstracks Discussion/support forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

garlad wrote: »
    Can I ask where did you find it for £182? Does this include shipping? Looking for one myself.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1174 £202 with delivery

christeb wrote: »
    Also a Q for the experts - I've recently had trouble uploading, the info goes over from the watch OK but on the Training Centre upload page the bar starts to upoload then freezes at the very start. Has only happened recently, but it's very irritating.
    Are you running on Vista? I had similar problems when UAC (Vista's annoying User Access Control) got turned back on after applying a service pack. GTC needs to be run as an administrator in Vista, otherwise it'll crash in the way you've described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

FYI -- There's one for sale in the cycling adverts forum....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60709117#post60709117 .. although from reading the post it could be gone.

If anyone wanting a 305 can hold out for a month or so I'd want for the 310XT. Better GPS and double the battery life.

• Advertisement

If anyone wanting a 305 can hold out for a month or so I'd want for the 310XT. Better GPS and double the battery life.
    Probably triple the price too. It is also waterproof though, which is another handy benefit.

Probably triple the price too. It is also waterproof though, which is another handy benefit.

I think its going to be about 299-399 pounds..but yes its better. Anyone training for an ironman would appreciate the extras

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I'm currently working my way through the P & D 55 mpw plan. When I set my Garmin 405 each day I'm essentially just running the 'simple' programme and popping in a pace I feel like doing on the day. Is there a way to be a little more organised about this. i.e. Could I combine my schedule with my goal marathon time online and then download this programme onto the 405 so it works out what I should be doing and the pace I should be doing it at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Darn, was looking for a second hand one, bought another 305 for the other half. pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

the battery time on the 405 is poor. Twice in the last couple of weeks it has died on my after 6.5hours of "on" time and about 8 hours after the charge. This was particularly annoying as my "on" time was about 7 hours and my pretty loop on the map isn't a loop!!!
    Also last night 27% only lasted about 2 hours on a training spin...and it reckoned my heartrate was 240bpm. junk :)
    I still like it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

been waiting anxiously on the 310XT for some months now. Hopefully there isnt any delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

My 405 bezel has being going bonkers recently in the rain (I can understand this) but even sweaty finger tips are sending it loopy recently. Still it does what I want 95% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

RJC wrote: »
    My 405 bezel has being going bonkers recently in the rain (I can understand this) but even sweaty finger tips are sending it loopy recently. Still it does what I want 95% of the time.

Maybe lock the bezel once you've begun your run ? (press both buttons simultaneously). My bezel is a bit tempremental, a flick changes it, pressing doesn't.

I'm currently working my way through the P & D 55 mpw plan. When I set my Garmin 405 each day I'm essentially just running the 'simple' programme and popping in a pace I feel like doing on the day. Is there a way to be a little more organised about this. i.e. Could I combine my schedule with my goal marathon time online and then download this programme onto the 405 so it works out what I should be doing and the pace I should be doing it at ?
    Hi Rusty_Cogs, you can use the [Workouts] tab in Garmin Training Centre to create workouts and then schedule them (and transfer them to your watch). I used this for a 10k training program before Christmas, and it worked out very well.

The only limitation is that you set target speeds based on Speed Zones, rather than specific pace's. The available speed zones are:
    Slow Walk, Walk, Fast Walk, Slow Jog, Jog, Fast Jog, Slow Run, Run, Sprint, Max Speed.
    You can associate speeds with each of the speed zones in your user profile:
    [User] [Profile for "Krusty Clown"]. So for example, my sprint is set to: 6:00/mile - 4:00/mile. My max speed is set to sub 4/mile.

I found the speed zones annoying, so I would create a program without a speed target, and then just watch the pace I'm supposed to be running at (for example for a Vo2max session etc).

If you want the whole thing to be done auto-magically(!), there are some sites that will create a 405-compatible program based on target pace. Runner's World will give you a Garmin compatible marathon program:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2776

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    it has died on my after 6.5hours of "on" time and about 8 hours after the charge.
    That's your watches way of telling you that you need to run faster.
    You've to get home before the battery runs out. :)

Advertisement