Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning faulty heater without receipt?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a mini oil filled rad from B&Q last April. It was in an 'own brand' box.

Now obviously I don't have the box or receipt anymore, but a manager would recognise that it's an own-brand. In the past week it has failed (I don't know why, but changed fuse and still no joy - I reckon it could be the thermostat) It only cost me 30euro and to be totally honest i've gotten my use out of it for that price over the past year. BUT, would I be entitled to a replacement? Take into consideration i've no proof of purchase, would I be told to take a hike if I brought it back to the shop?

Not really expecting to get it replaced so not too bothered, but as it goes 'you never know until you try' - I'd just like to get opinions from people here first

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know argos do returns if you paid by CC, others probably do too. I pay for almost everything I can by CC now, there are lots of advantages. People who had bought zavii vouchers by CC might have got their money back.

Worth a try, esp. as it is own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

rubadub wrote: »
    I know argos do returns if you paid by CC, others probably do too. I pay for almost everything I can by CC now, there are lots of advantages. People who had bought zavii vouchers by CC might have got their money back.

Worth a try, esp. as it is own brand.

Just rang customer service (UK) and they said that. So I checked my statment which i've found the purchase from B&Q as I bought on my Laser card. Problem is that it isin't for the exact amount of the heater, I bought other stuff with it.

Gonna ring the local store and see how I get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since you have the date, purchase amount, and the Laser card number, B&Q should be able to trace the sale on their computer. I've done this in PC World in the past, and they just re-print the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Rang the store and said that I have the bank statment (with a different amount though) and I could hear the manager in the background saying to just bring back the faulty heater.

When I went in, I went to get a new heater from the shelf, but they stopped producing it. I got another very similar (actually only 800w instead of my faulty 900w) but more expensive (7eur) one that was the exact same and brought it up to the till. They just did a simple swap no problem and I was gone after 5 mins.

Nice one B&Q. Having said that, I reckon if the girl at the Customer Service was having a bad day, they could have argued that the heaters werent the exact same and refused to replace it (Different product numbers)

Advertisement