Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crib bitting and wind succking help!!

Options
  • 17-01-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Is ther anyone who call tell me the best way to stop a horse from this vice, he is 17 years old just got him and did not see him doing it when bought.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are they not disclosable vices? I.e. you'd be within your rights to return him?

Often animals do this more often when stressed out. Is he better when turned out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Wind sucking and crib biting are both declarable vices, so you should have been informed by the people from whom you bought him, so, as fits said, you would be within your rights to return him.

However, if you still want to keep him, you could try using cribox (a paste type substance which doesn't taste nice and which is advertised as helping stop horses crib bite), which can be put on the doors, surfaces, etc. on which the horse crib bites. I haven't ever used it, so I don't know how successful it is. Obviously, if you can reduce the crib biting, the windsucking problem will be eased, as the two tend to go hand in hand.

However, as fits said, some horses are more inclined to do both when anxious, in a new atmosphere or if they're bored, and it may be reduced when they're turned out. However, some horses still wind suck and crib bite when out in the field, especially when there's railing, stakes, or anything they can bite.

Windsucking can also cause wind problems in horses where they aren't capable of hard work for long periods of time. While this isn't widespread and really only serious if you're doing work which is physically strenuous, such as racing, it is something to bear in mind.

If you're still happy to keep the horse, try cribox (not sure of the spelling!) and see if it helps.

Just as an aside, both crib biting and windsucking habits can be picked up by other horses in the yard (just like weaving) so if you have other horses and it's possible, try to keep the 'away from' (i.e. not opposite, or beside) your new horse. The last thing you want is other horses picking up the habit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Fits is right you have every right to return him but don,t delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

i would throw him back. How bad is the wind sucking? I can safely say u will never stop the habit. You might reduce it but an old horse like that will never stop. Send him back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pandora 007

Thanks All he went back , no problems,

• Advertisement
Advertisement