Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should replace brian cowen as taoiseach

Options
  • 17-01-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Just wondering peoples opinions on who should replace brian cowen as taoiseach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Michael O'Leary. Time for a heavy-handed, no pampering approach to things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Eamon Gilmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

johnnyc wrote: »

I don't know to be honest.

I wouldn't have much faith in anyone from the present Dail having the vision and balls to guide us out of the mess we're in.

If I was to choose anyone, I would pick an international figure without any ties to the sectional interests that maintain a stranglehold over this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I haven't got a clue but i know that anyone who works for the people should have to pass an IQ test, anyone can read a book but not everyone has common sense, which is the one thing that is essential

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dustin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Charlie McCreevey. He was the dogs bollix till he got shafted and sent out to europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

K4t wrote: »
    Eamon Gilmore.
    Can you see a Labour leader tackling the public sector unions if/when their members' pay is to be cut?

David Cameron FTW. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

vladimir putin , the country needs the **** kicked out of it , besides , irish people for the most part are fine with corruption if thier pockets are heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Charlie McCreevey. He was the dogs bollix till he got shafted and sent out to europe.
    Charlie 'decentralisation' McGreevy? His grand experiment in social engineering is one of the reasons for the huge public sector pay bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hayyman

I Hear there's a very clever chimp over in Dublin zoo, lets give him ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

hayyman wrote: »
    I Hear there's a very clever chimp over in Dublin zoo, lets give him ago
    We could save a few quid if we went for a cheaper chimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hayyman

sceptre wrote: »
    We could save a few quid if we went for a cheaper chimp.
    All i no is i wouldn't of voted for biffo but then i wasn't asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PP had a book on Next FF leader which for the moment is the same thing, Martin the fav but when you looked through the list its truly depressing. Not one of them rises above a thorough-going mediocrity.

Martin is prolly the worst of the front runners, he is one of those "types" who'll sucker you into beliving he is competent (and with those puppy dog eyes and sincere tone) and yet who's record is pretty damned awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

mike65 wrote: »
    he is one of those "types" who'll sucker you into beliving he is competent ... and yet who's record is pretty damned awful.

Pretty much covers 99% of TDs in this country!

What about Dubya? He'll be looking for work soon enough:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

PP had a book on Next FF leader which for the moment is the same thing, Martin the fav but when you looked through the list its truly depressing. Not one of them rises above a thorough-going mediocrity.

Martin is prolly the worst of the front runners, he is one of those "types" who'll sucker you into beliving he is competent (and with those puppy dog eyes and sincere tone) and yet who's record is pretty damned awful.

He'll run the party into the ground-make him leader I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

id agree with you if we were not in such dire times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Richard Bruton

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dear God no, I'd take Martin over half the rest of the Government front bench any day and I'm really not a fan of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i say come back bertie and you can have as many bank acounts as you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Martins' better than Mary Coughlan but then how she ever washed up in a govenment is a grim mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well Martins' better than Mary Coughlan but then how she ever washed up in a govenment is a grim mystery.

The cynic in me thinks it's because neither Martin nor Dermot Ahern would touch the position with the ensuing crisis. Foreign Affairs is exactly where I'd want to be if I had leadership hopes at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i say come back bertie and you can have as many bank acounts as you like

i take it you work in the public sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Bertie Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

There's not one member in The Dáil with the ability to be a good Taoiseach

Shower of muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

couldnt have said it better!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Me!!

I would make sure the poor were getting more moeny and the rich were no evaiding tax like they currently are. I would also make sure that there were no homeless people and.......................

Ah why should I bother, cos some g0bsh!te is going to get voted in next and will ruin the country even more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Eamon Gilmore.

+ 1 :)

He's actually the most popular party leader in Ireland atm and deservedly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What does it matter who in Fianna Fail would succeed Cowen? The entire FF machine is of questionable pedigree. Indeed, looking back there hasn't been one FF Taoiseach since Sean Lemass, who left office without some questions to answer.
    If Cowen is to be turfed out for lack of foresight and leadership, then I say leave him there as there is nobody who is going to do any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

murphaph wrote: »
    Can you see a Labour leader tackling the public sector unions if/when their members' pay is to be cut?
    I could see him tackling the bastards who got us into this mess.
    irish_bob wrote: »
    i take it you work in the public sector
    Wow, you're nearly as funny as the 'smart' people on the radio now.
    From the Marian Finnucane show, "What year car do you drive?" "I drive a '90", "Oh, you mustn't work in the public sector then" giggle giggle giggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I could see him tackling the bastards who got us into this mess.
    He might, but that won't get us out of this mess. Anyway, social partnership has a lot to answer for and is undemocratic IMO. Gilmore and Labour would be the least likely candidates to dump social partnership.

Advertisement