Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done the Knife Skills workshop at Cooks' Academy?

• 17-01-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

I'm really keen to do this, the next one with availability is on the 7th of April. Has anyone done this/got any feedback on it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Yeah, I did the course last October.

As you would expect in a 2-3 hours class you can only have an introduction to knife skills. The class started with an introduction to knives, knife safety, and general knife technique. Most of the hands on work involved using a cooks knife. We where shown how to peal/slice/dice/julienne a number of vegetables and then did it ourselves. The vegetables included onions, leaks, potatoes, carrots, cucumbers; also we did chilli's and a number of herbs/garnishees. We where shown how to fillet a fish but we didn't do it ourselves, but we did skin a fillet. As we were working the vegetables and fish were used as ingredients in a number of recipes which we eat towards the end.

It is expected that you would bring your own knives, but they had enough knives available, but the reason for having your own knife is that you can go home a practice. You don't need fancy and expensive knives something like a Hygiplas Cooks Knife or a set, if you like to hold them before buying you can go to Sweeny O'Rourke's in Dublin. But I would probably hold off until after the class to figure out what you want and need.

I think it would be possible to learn all the techniques from a book, but the class isn't that expensive and it should help with any fear you might have with working with such knives. Buy a book anyway and practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Illustrated Knife Techniques by Peter Hertzmann is really good, with excellent illustrations, and instructions for both right and left-handed people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thanks Robfitz. Would you say it's for complete beginners, then? I already have a bit more than the basics (for want of a better word) and really just want to work on my speed as opposed to my technique, iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Would you say it's for complete beginners, then?

Yes beginners, it would be suitable for someone with no knife skills at all. Maybe use the money and buy the book, a load of vegetables and practice, practice, practice.

Advertisement