Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlines and shooting kit

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd buy that. Need to buy a new trenchcoat and a trilby too though.
    Here you go:
    http://www.tommygunshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=555

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Rovi wrote: »

I'd want a peli for flying, but very tempted to pick that up for domestic stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

After a few trips abroad this year, a few of us came up with this so it might help someone.

IATA Regulations.
    Ammunition (cartridges for weapons), securely packaged (in Div. 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 only), in quantities not exceeding 5 kg (11 lb) gross weight per person for that person's own use.
    Allowances for more than one passenger must not be combined into one or more packages. (This means that if two persons are travelling, they cannot put 10 Kilos or 22 Lbs Ammo in one big box etc).

AerLingus. (From Website).
    Firearms and ammunition other than for hunting and sporting purposes are prohibited from carriage as Baggage. (Carry on).
    Firearms and ammunition for hunting and sporting purposes may be accepted as Checked Baggage.
    Firearms must be unloaded with the safety catch on, and suitably packed.
    Carriage of ammunition is subject to ICAO and IATA regulations as specified in 8.3.1.1.

Sports Guns
    Aer Lingus will carry sports guns and ammunition cartridges subject to the following:
    · Sport Guns are to be dismantled.
    · Sports Guns when dismantled are to be loaded with checked baggage.
    · Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage.
    · Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be available for inspection by security.
    · Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger and must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fireboard with the contents protected against any movement.
    · Subject to an extra charge for flights within Europe.
    Fees For Sports Guns And Ammunition
    €40/£32 or equivalent for all flights within Europe. (£37 for flights departing London Heathrow).
    This fee is payable at the airport on the day of departure. For flights to/from North America sports guns and ammunition may be carried under the normal baggage allowance.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    Aer Lingus has advised me that firearms cannot be pre booked as a normal piece of luggage or at normal luggage rates.
    Do NOT book as sporting equipment and then try to change it at the airport. It WILL cause confusion. Complete your online booking as normal, including normal luggage bookings. Immediately phone Customer Services and ask them to note on the booking that you will be bringing a sporting firearm on the day.
    On the date of the flight, pay the required €40 each way for the firearm. Because the ammunition MUST travel separately, there is no charge for its carriage. Weigh it exactly to no more than 5Kgs or 11 Lbs before you leave for the trip.
    Packing.
    · Gun should be dismantled prior to packing.
    · Gun should be placed in secure lockable container / gun case.
    · Container / gun case should NOT be small, but of a reasonable size, to ensure the possibility of going astray is minimal. Small boxes WILL get lost.
    · Name address and contact phone number should be discreetly attached to gun case.
    · Be aware of size, brand of case, and identifying features.
    · Good idea to retain photo of gun, and case in event of loss.
    · Check your gun case, clothing, and other luggage, range bag etc, has NO loose rounds in them.
    · If bringing ammunition, weigh it, ensure is under 5 Kilos, and pack it a in separate lockable container or case, again of a reasonable size.
    · Check Firearm is currently licenced, and is on Europass.
    · Remember to bring Firearms Cert, Europass and copy competition invitation.
    • Check in.
    • Try to seek out the most experienced looking member of staff at Check In if possible. (Old hands!).
    • If there is a group, notify a staff member if possible, as they will possibly open a specific check in for you.
    · Do NOT crowd the check in area, please form an orderly line.
    · Firearm case CANNOT be placed inside other checked luggage.
    · Pay for baggage and firearm.
    · Check in individually with passport, documents etc, unless directed otherwise by an airline agent.
    · If asked to open Firearms Case / Box, do so discreetly and open lid away from public view.
    · Put your gun case personally on the check in conveyor belt if required.
    · Watch and ensure that your gun case is labelled with a firearm label, and airline check in tag.
    · Retain the stub of check in tag.

o On arrival.
    · Get to Carousel. If firearm not there, go to Customs / Police/ Service Desk.
    · Go to Irish Customs on your return.
    · Enjoy your shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bananaman wrote: »
    I believe that under IATA rules the case which contains the firearm has a 'firearm tag' added to it by the airline staff.

I have not travelled outside the EU with mine but everywhere I have gone I got a tag on the way out and a tag on the way back

(except in one instance where they got in a flap because they did not have any so I told them there was an Aer Lingus one inside the case if they wished to use it - which they did)

They all have FIREARM on them and a silhouette of a firearm. Some are funny with a silhouette of a Tommy Gun, others with a Mauser, yet more with an AK-47. Makes you tempted to get a Violin Shaped Peli Case just to hang the tag off ;-)

B'Man
    Crazy and illegal ..Well at least you will know who to blame and sue for gross negligence,if ever your guns are stolen,or if you shoot in the US for your extra stay in the county crossbar motel,for Aer lingus,etc violating US federal firearms laws.That was IMHO the only good thing to come out of the Crime control bill .
    Went thru the IATA rules,[most airlines publish them] it is under section 8 Baggage and transporting firearms or dangerous goods.

No mention on having to put firearm stickers on any luggage containing a firearm. 8.3.2, 8.3.3,& 8.3.4 are the revelant points.And of course a nice failsafe for the airline...If it is lost or damaged,not our fault!!!Of COURSE not! You only insisted on putting STEAL ME!! stickers on it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

:( I've read that a few times and I still don't know what it means.

• Advertisement

By way of entertainment and education, here are the three types of airline labels I've accumulated:
    Top: Aer Lingus (same both sides)
    Second: Easy Jet (plain white on back)
    Third & Fourth: Krakow airport services (front & back)

airlinelabels.jpg

How quaint!! The Poles still use an MP44 sthilloute!!:)
    And Aer lingus uses an air rifle!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And Aer lingus uses an air rifle!
    They probably contacted the Commissioner for advice on what would be the most scary image they could put on it to signify the extraordinarily dangerous nature of the item. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Maybe it was the only picture of a long arm on "THAT LIST"

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Maybe it was the only picture of a long arm on "THAT LIST"

What list? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rovi wrote: »
    They probably contacted the Commissioner for advice on what would be the most scary image they could put on it to signify the extraordinarily dangerous nature of the item. :D

At least they stopped short of this though:

96058.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, Aer Lingus were good enough to us this morning. But right now we're sitting in Schiphol drinking coffee and waiting for KLM's excess baggage charges to stop smarting... owowowowbloodyriflekitweighsametrictonowowowow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, Aer Lingus were good enough to us this morning. But right now we're sitting in Schiphol drinking coffee and waiting for KLM's excess baggage charges to stop smarting... owowowowbloodyriflekitweighsametrictonowowowow!

Would you for Heaven's sake leave boards alone for a few days, it's a break ffs :D

Are Death stars restricted or un restricted???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think they're prohibited. They'd be too easy to get a licence for as they would be the only 'type of weapon that is appropriate for the purpose' :D

And there'd be no problem proving good reason. You're Darth Vader FFS :D

Does it have a pistol grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    Would you for Heaven's sake leave boards alone for a few days, it's a break ffs :D
    A break he says. Twelve pounds of body weight I drop from all the work and he says it's a break. *shakes head*

*and* I got stung for another €230 on the way home through excess baggage. KLM are so far off my winter solstice card list it's not funny any more.

And Dublin Customs haven't been briefed on the new licence it would seem. The first clue was the customs lad asking me if it was my Garda Weapon I was bringing through in the case (I hadn't taken the licence card off the letter it came on and he was looking at the official stamps and such). I wasn't sure where to start on the corrections there :D

Advertisement