Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canteen Employees

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭synd

Efla your absolutely right to be concerned - low paid workers being shafted by bureaucratic higher ups is unfortunately a part of the system we live under. The lower end of the private sector is rife with such exploitation, unlike the public sector few safeguards exist and due to the division of labor employees interests are not sufficiently upheld. Trust the university to contract private sector workers who they can dispose of on a whim. I wouldn't count on the SU. I think the most effective course of action would be for the student's and employees to organize in solidarity. First however it would need to be publicized to increase awareness , leaflets ect.

The likes of cython would argue the situation ''just'' on the grounds that they signed a labor contract. However the conditions of the said contract hardly reflected the employees (preference) rather their educational level and socio economic position. Had the building of the HR management who laid them off set on fire (rest assured ''they'' would have been taken care of).

I personally believe that everyone is entitled to an ''equal'' degree of job security regardless of their educational attainment or economic standing. (A)

5bnzi1.jpg

Advertisement