Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions

• 17-01-2009 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

If I want to say that "I live in a village" do I say

1. J'habite dans un village
    or
    2. J'habite un village

And in relation to object pronouns can you tell me please if this sentence is gramatically correct

Je passe la plupart du temps en ville parce que mes parents y travaille et j'y vais á l'école.

Cheers. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

www.wordreference.com would be better for grammar questions, there are tons of forums.

j'habite dans un village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

K4t wrote: »

or
    2. J'habite un village

And in relation to object pronouns can you tell me please if this sentence is gramatically correct

Je passe la plupart du temps en ville parce que mes parents y travaille et j'y vais á l'école.

Last sentence is correct, you ony forgot to link the "parents" to their verb:
    Mes parents travaillent en ville --> parce que mes parents y travaillent.
    Always link your verb to the subject! :)

As for "habiter",
    - for places i.e. Dublin, you just say the town or the country or whatever place with a name; j'habite Dublin or you could say j'habite EN Dublin.

- When saying a city, town etc: j'habite DANS un ville or village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

or
    2. J'habite un village
    They are both acceptable. You would say the first one and write the second one. By that I mean the first one is "language familier" and the second is more "language soutenu".

Should be "Je passe la plupart du temps en ville parce que mes parents y travaillent et j'y vais à l'école."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

sNarah wrote: »
    As for "habiter",
    - for places i.e. Dublin, you just say the town or the country or whatever place with a name; j'habite Dublin or you could say j'habite EN Dublin.
    That's incorrect. You can say "J'habite Dublin" (language soutenu) or "J'habite à Dublin" (language plus familier).
    sNarah wrote: »
    - When saying a city, town etc: j'habite DANS un ville or village.
    J'habite dans un village / une ville is correct indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Merci beaucoup ;)

Thanks for reminding me about 'travaillent' too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement