Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking dog rented house

Options
  • 17-01-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

A new tenant moved into a rented house behind me 1 month ago. He has a very large dog (akita) that barks very loudly all night and all morning. I have to give it to the dog, I dont know where he gets the energy.
    Its gotten to the stage that myself and my neighbours get no sleep. I work shift and it is really affecting my sleep.
    This dog is outside all the time so there is no let up.

What rights dog I have and how can I get this stopped?????

I'm currently trying to contact the home owner as most rental properties do not allow pets.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of your residence. You can make a complaint to the council or initiate court proceedings yourself. The first thing you need to do is to talk to the owner. The dog is probably barking because it is bored, because it is alone all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

brianmulla wrote: »
    A new tenant moved into a rented house behind me 1 month ago. He has a very large dog (akita) that barks very loudly all night and all morning. I have to give it to the dog, I dont know where he gets the energy.
    Its gotten to the stage that myself and my neighbours get no sleep. I work shift and it is really affecting my sleep.
    This dog is outside all the time so there is no let up.

What rights dog I have and how can I get this stopped?????

I'm currently trying to contact the home owner as most rental properties do not allow pets.

Thanks

i sympathise with your situation , i myself had to put up with the same problem about 18 mths ago ,
    now how to deal with it , yes you can go to the local authority but like with everything else , they are a toothless tiger when it comes to enforcing anything so i wouldnt hold my breath on that front , the guards will smugly tell you , thats a civil matter , what i did was i went to the owner, it sounds like the dog is tied up all day as that is what makes dogs bark all the time , that combined with him being a stupid dog ( only dumb dogs bark all the time ) , having a dog tied up all the time is a form of neglect and the authorities can investigate such a matter , your best bet is to in a diplomatic way express your concern as to why the dog barks all the time and gently slide in an indirect threat of reporting the owner for neglect , the reason i suggest this agressive apporoach is playing it nice wont work , anyone that allows thier dog to be a public nuisance and keep his or her neighbours awake at night is an inconsiderete asshole anyway so simply asking them to keep the dog quite will in all likelyhood result in you being told where to go , i was told where to go when i told them i would report them fro neglecting thier dog but i suspect when they thought about it afterwards , they compromised as the barking stopped or at least only happend in a blue moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

so this isnt about a dog that is renting a house? Very misleading thread title:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Call the ISPCA and have them investigate, also inform the council.
    It sounds like the dog is being neglected if it's outside all the time and barking continuously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianmulla

thanks very much for ur help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

It is considered to be strong and very useful as a guard dog.
    Intersting info about its temperament. The way the dog is, the owner must be a poor/bad leader.
    Here link:
    http://www.google.ie/url?q=http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/akita.htm&sa=X&oi=revisions_result&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNGS5xw0d86hJ0nMp5LyNT9WHEkBDw

Also worth suggesting about the electric shock collar to the owner that will shock a little bit to stop them barking.
    How does the owner sleep at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

For some suggestions in the mean time when you are up at 2am trying to sleep check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449957

Advertisement