Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

canonet loveliness

• 17-01-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

I just bought a QL 19 from Ebay.

canonet_QL19.jpg

52 quid including P&P and original case. Fingers crossed the seller was being honest and it's working perfectly.. Al I was calling you to get you to talk me out of it :) Please don't tell me the 19 is far inferior to the 17...

Ooo filmy goodness..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Aha!

I was just getting on the train, only checked my phone now!!! :p

I convinced Bovril to buy a GIII too, so you're probably better off not ringing me, I would have made you spend more :D

The 19 is a different lens, it has less glass in it, and less distortion, the glass wouldn't be exactly on par with the glass in the 17, but tbh, I wouldn't worry too much about it at all - You still have your sync shoe and all, which is well handy, not sure what auto mode's you have on that, but it should be grand. The QL system is well handy too, I can change films in a matter of seconds with it, and usually get 37 shots out of each roll.

Most of my flickr over the last few months has been from the Canonet, just such a handy camera - My 5D just feels so bulky in comparison. You can pop this into your pocket (Handbag), and not worry about it. If it breaks, f*ck it, you've spent 50 quid on it, buy another one - And they're still have a million times the quality of anything Lomography sell for twice the price :pac:

I've aquired quite a love for HP5 pushed to 1600, not sure what your meter is like on the 19, but if it's in top notch condition, you can get it fiddled with, so it'll take 1600iso as the top iso in it, and 50 as the lowest, as opposed to 25 and 800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Shall I get prices of Canons from the second hand camera shop too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Oooh i want one of them..... My das minolta 9xi seems to be on permanent loan to one of his friends so i'v nothing to shoot film with. :-(

Edit: theres a canon snappy p&s goin round but thats only one step up from a disposable

Naw, Vlastik, we'll stick to the Russian-ware! :D

"MADE IN USSR" stamps ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yeah it was a conversation about film with Bovril that got me looking for it - I'm freecycling my old CT90 and had forgotten just how bloody lovely a camera it is. I love my C1, but it just doesn't have that chunkyness..

I'm a bit worried the aperture blades will be stuck though :( He did mention something about no oil in them (which I'm reading now is probably a bad thing). Might need some TLC. Hmmm.. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Advertisement

If that chap is still up in Portobello (Beside DML's old place) he'd be your man. Tbh, don't worry and just shoot. If all went to all, I have dozens of repair manuals for these lenses about, I'll forward 'em on to you.

If he said the camera is working, then you shouldn't have to worry.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Naw, Vlastik, we'll stick to the Russian-ware! :D

"MADE IN USSR" stamps ftw.

Speaking of russian, friend of mine has a zenit photosniper - it has a metal stock with a trigger built into it with a giant jupiter 300mm on the top - now thats a relic of the cold war

:)

You should see the rifle stocks for rangefinders. If you think the Fotosniper looks mean, these things are bloody impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »

I'm a bit worried the aperture blades will be stuck though :( He did mention something about no oil in them (which I'm reading now is probably a bad thing).

no no , thats actually a GOOD thing. Oil on the aperture blades is badddd ... Otherwise they're inclined to stick and not open or close properly.

They are not so expensive at all...

about.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ThOnda wrote: »

god almighty ...

the LOMOGRAPHY shop ??!?
    You can probably literally pick them up for about a tenth the price on ebay ...

The picture was only for illustration, of course.
    But you can buy these guns quite cheap in my homeland(.cz).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Only people with Canonets are cool :)

Lets have a Canonet meet (when mine eventually arrives!!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a couple of Compact 35mm Cameras here that I would lend out if anyone would like to see if they want to try shooting some film. I will go & look & see what they are & post info here.

See what I've started?

I'll call it Canonettagraphy or something... And charge 300 quid for a Canonet in a few years. Along with 4 lenses Canonet's, fisheye Canonet's, and Canonet flavoured ice cream.

See what I've started?

I'll call it Canonettagraphy or something... And charge 300 quid for a Canonet in a few years. Along with 4 lenses Canonet's, fisheye Canonet's, and Canonet flavoured ice cream.

When will you have a 500mm for my Canonet so I can shoot birds??

Make a deal with developer/scanner close to your heart and send there everybody to get 5% discount :pac:

bovril wrote: »
    When will you have a 500mm for my Canonet so I can shoot birds??

Nevar. Get walking :p
    Make a deal with developer/scanner close to your heart and send there everybody to get 5% discount

Have you not seen the amount of scratches and dust on my negs?

If I do find a dev and scan shop, I'll make sure it's run like Miroslav Tichy's studio :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Only people with Canonets are cool :)

Lets have a Canonet meet (when mine eventually arrives!!!)

1D2EE0143673491E8B7718CF463529C8.jpg

Can i come? I eat very little and don't know the difference between right and wrong. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Yawn at all the people with the 'film' cameras.

:P

• Advertisement

DarrenG wrote: »
    Yawn at all the people with the 'film' cameras.

Pfffft, let's compare dynamic ranges :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have two 35mm Compacts that are available if someone wants to play with some filum

1/ Ricoh FF3 AF Super.

2/ Pentax 90 Zoom.

Let me know if you want to borrow either of these.

Ah thanks Daire! I've been reading all night about the common as hell problem with the shutter and aperture blades sticking on them. Fingers crossed he meant it in a good way..

And Darren you're just jealous cos you're not cool like we are.

Caban I'll have my trusty 35mm in tomorrow :D So all the students can laugh at me..

about.jpg

Thats not a lomo, thats a zenit photosniper wit the tair (i said jupiter earlier which was wrong) 300 f4 on it, right?

Zenit plus TAIR 300/4,5. For focusing you have to use a nob below the lense - you touch the camera only for winding for another frame and controll of exposure. Apart that it is a 35mm gun. But I would not put that description on my cabin luggage :pac:

landyman wrote: »
    Thats not a lomo, thats a zenit photosniper wit the tair (i said jupiter earlier which was wrong) 300 f4 on it, right?

Lomography have taken over marketing whatever deadstock they can find though... Hence the jokes I made earlier on ;)

Zenit plus TAIR 300/4,5. For focusing you have to use a nob below the lense - you touch the camera only for winding for another frame and controll of exposure. Apart that it is a 35mm gun. But I would not put that description on my cabin luggage :pac:

Lol nor would i. I can just imagine kgb agents using it to spy on west berlin from miles off

Heh, nothing of the sort, any real KGB agent was in the thick of the action with an 8 x 11mm camera :pac:

Check out Minox's subminiature efforts! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

imagine whipping one of these out someplace around Ballsbridge!! :)
    fs122.jpg

or try getting that through Homeland security!!! :pac: :D
    make sure to bring your own lube!!! :P

• Advertisement

My canonet arrived. Hope to test it at lunch. It's the QL17 GIII. A few dings around the outside of the lens but the glass looks fine. It's a bit dusty too but I will clean it up. yay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

so you're probably better off not ringing me, I would have made you spend more :D

No truer word has even been spoken!!:pac:

My canonet arrived. Hope to test it at lunch. It's the QL17 GIII. A few dings around the outside of the lens but the glass looks fine. It's a bit dusty too but I will clean it up. yay :)

Ooo I really can't wait now :D Mine's en route...

Advertisement