Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangers of owning an '09 car?!

Options
  • 17-01-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Right, my Dad bought an '09 Focus 1.8 TDCi Saloon 2 weeks ago an is more than happy with it. It's his 5th Focus and can't see beyond buying a Focus! A loyal Focus owner. My mam has uses the car mostly as my Dad does mainly city driving. Since she's started driving it, she noticed people flashing her and blowing the horn. Every time she got out checked the lights, tire pressure, brake lights etc, and had begun to question her own ability to drive.

Then the other day the penny dropped. My Dad had the car out in Cornelscourt, South Co. Dublin. He too witnessed the same phenomenom, but got a clear view of what the other driver was doing. My Dad's mouth dropped. The guy was pointing down at the reg plate, then pointing at him, then finally giving my Da the auld w@nkers fist gesture!!

Today I was talking to my uncle who was sitting in a room at the front of his house with his mate who bought himself a new '09 E270 diesel and noticed a guy get out of a flat bed truck and walk to the front of the car and shuffle around it for a few seconds. Immediately they went out to see what he had done, and noticed a spit mark, nothing short of a small vomit, resting behind the Merc symbol on the bonnet!!

I know Ireland is, and always was, a national full of begrudgers but this take the biscuit. My auld man is beginning to have sleepness night thinking his new car will be torched and badly damaged by a brainless jealous thug.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it happening? Fu(king disgraceful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are you sure you're not making this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

peasant wrote: »

+200

Sounds like a load s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

To be fair, it doesn't seem as if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I swear to God. My Mam told me the other day, and didn't really believe it. Then when is happened my Da, I began to believe it slightly. Then my Dads brother called over to the house earlier. Then I began to believe it, hence I posted it up here as the evidence became stonewall imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Some of those fancy new xeon (sp) lights ?

They blind people, and cause most of symptoms above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Parked my car in town a week or two ago & there was a dirty great spit on my previously shiny black bonnet. It is a '02. There are some ignorant ***** out there!:mad:

jhegarty wrote: »
    Some of those fancy new xeon (sp) lights ?

They blind people, and cause most of symptoms above

No, bog standand lights. Even got the garage to check to elevation on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

With the current climate, there has been an increase in the amount of spiteful begrudgers out there. For example, there is a tremendous amount of bile directed towards public servants on this website, in newspapers and on the Joe Duffy show :rolleyes: There is going to a certain percentage of the population who'll take this further and start spitting at 09 cars when they would have taken no notice of new cars in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There is going to a certain percentage of the population who'll take this further and start spitting at 09 cars when they would have taken no notice of new cars in previous years.

And a certain percentage who will take things further than just spitting, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

flanzer wrote: »

Then the other day the penny dropped. My Dad had the car out in Cornelscourt, South Co. Dublin. He too witnessed the same phenomenom, but got a clear view of what the other driver was doing. My Dad's mouth dropped. The guy was pointing down at the reg plate, then pointing at him, then finally giving my Da the auld w@nkers fist gesture!!

I'd open my wallet and wave whatever i had in it back at the twat.
    That'd piss him off rightly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BrianD3 wrote: »
    With the current climate, there has been an increase in the amount of spiteful begrudgers out there. For example, there is a tremendous amount of bile directed towards public servants on this website, in newspapers and on the Joe Duffy show :rolleyes: There is going to a certain percentage of the population who'll take this further and start spitting at 09 cars when they would have taken no notice of new cars in previous years.

Well if it really has come to this (I mean a Focus, come on ...) then my already low opinion of the great unwashed has just dropped another few notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

My car is constantly being crapped on by birds.... damn those begrudging flying flockers....
    :mad:

I mean a Focus, come on ...)

That's what I said to him at first, it's not as if they're driving a Ferrari/Bentley or the likes. I think a lot of a$$holes have got their hands torched with the recession and are rightly stuck up sh!t creek without a paddle, hence the Irish inbred begrugery has come to the fore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Comer1

Where are you based, I'm driving a '09 Honda Accord and I haven't witnessed anything like this. Are you sure that this is not some kind of "'09 Paranoia?"

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

One can often wonder is this plain envy/green eyed monster etc. or their annoyance at the (sheeplike) Irish consumer changing the car every year regardless of what is thrown his/her way, or spending big bucks on something that's really not necessary. I know this is a vastly general statement, possibly giving the tossers too much credit, but this crap happens an awful lot, & sorting out can be both frustrating & expensive...all over having a nice or new set of wheels!? Friend had his new car badly keyed & another had his rear tyres slashed, & can go on...:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Right, my Dad bought an '09 Focus 1.8 TDCi Saloon 2 weeks ago an is more than happy with it. It's his 5th Focus and can't see beyond buying a Focus! A loyal Focus owner. My mam has uses the car mostly as my Dad does mainly city driving. Since she's started driving it, she noticed people flashing her and blowing the horn. Every time she got out checked the lights, tire pressure, brake lights etc, and had begun to question her own ability to drive.

Today I was talking to my uncle who was sitting in a room at the front of his house with his mate who bought himself a new '09 E270 diesel and noticed a guy get out of a flat bed truck and walk to the front of the car and shuffle around it for a few seconds. Immediately they went out to see what he had done, and noticed a spit mark, nothing short of a small vomit, resting behind the Merc symbol on the bonnet!!

I know Ireland is, and always was, a national full of begrudgers but this take the biscuit. My auld man is beginning to have sleepness night thinking his new car will be torched and badly damaged by a brainless jealous thug.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it happening? Fu(king disgraceful

...and then you woke up and had your cornflakes??? :pac:
    I think a lot of a$$holes have got their hands torched with the recession and are rightly stuck up sh!t creek without a paddle, hence the Irish inbred begrugery has come to the fore

Rosanna Davidson?? Is that you??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

...and then you woke up and had your cornflakes??? :pac:

Does seem a tad,.. em....em...extreme but alot of this ****e is going on & it's not inner city/where you live stuff either...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm sceptical, given the fact that I have 20/20 vision and I'd struggle to see the front reg of a Focus while concentrating on the road. And by the time I could safely see it was a 09 I would be so close that I would not be able to flash my lights before I had passed said car. Daylight is a different matter, but that's as scarce as a 09 Saab this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Sounds like paranoia.. maybe something other than your reg plate. If someone else on this site can confirm its happened to them then maybe I may believe its a case of 09 begrudgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

a few years ago my dad picked up his new car. Decided to stop on way back in the shop. Young little sh1t saw the obviously new car,full force rugby ball kicked into the back door. Nice dent on a half hour old car...best bit was it was only a bloody almera...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

su_dios wrote: »
    Sounds like paranoia.. maybe something other than your reg plate. If someone else on this site can confirm its happened to them then maybe I may believe its a case of 09 begrudgery.

I'll guinea pig it I'll cover stick 09 over my 95 and see what attention I get :rolleyes: (Garda excluded :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hmmm.....maybe the op is onto something here (or maybe this thread should be moved to the conspiracy theory forum :D )

I too have been subjected to similar abuse recently. Just before Christmas I stopped at a Centra store when a group of fellas in their late teens/early twenties were shouting at me (from across the road :rolleyes:) calling me a rich w@nker.

I drive a plain 2007 commercial jeep! hardly an Aston Martin DB9 :confused:

Meh....some people:mad::confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Has to be the lights are very bright. Have noticed a few new fords, both mondeos and focus have very good long beams but seem to be very sharp to look at. Could OP try putting some dirt on the lights as a test and see if he still gets the same reaction. The nation has not gone from one of greed for a new car as often as possible to one of envy for somebody else's new one that quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Comer1 wrote: »
    Where are you based, I'm driving a '09 Honda Accord and I haven't witnessed anything like this. Are you sure that this is not some kind of "'09 Paranoia?"

nice bus.well for sum:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hayyman

;)
    Comer1 wrote: »
    Ive often had this kind of trouble with my 1 liter micra jealous bastad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drive a 06 Audi and drove a 98 Astra over the past two days. Nobody looked at me any differently.

I smell paranaoi. I used to think something was wrong with my 00 Nissan Almera(new shape) because people kept waving hello at me. I realised weeks later after seeing another one coming towards me that even when the lights were off the back mirrored section of the light would bounce the sunshine to look like I was flashing my lights. Silly car.

Also It was a KY reg so people in Dublin used to look at me strangely as though I had driven from another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Damien360 wrote: »
    Could OP try putting some dirt on the lights as a test and see if he still gets the same reaction.

You can't be serious.

OP tell your parents to find something else to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

keefg wrote: »
    Just before Christmas I stopped at a Centra store when a group of fellas in their late teens/early twenties were shouting at me (from across the road :rolleyes:) calling me a rich w@nker

you should have replied "nah im just rich"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ya a load of spiteful p****s out there these days

But then again a lot of people are getting increasingly angry at anyone who does well, not suprising the way the countries gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know people on social welfare who look down on me(or up I dont know which) because I have a job that gives me an Audi A4. They complain they barely have two brown pennies to rub together.

Im not quitting my job or asking for a beat up van just to make other people feel better about themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement