Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangers of owning an '09 car?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

I drive a 96 A4, unfortunately the reverse phenomenon whereby people might take pity for me driving a 96 and leave fivers stuck under the wipers doesn't seem to happen, so lending credence to the paranoia idea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

flanzer wrote: »
    Then the other day the penny dropped. My Dad had the car out in Cornelscourt, South Co. Dublin. He too witnessed the same phenomenom, but got a clear view of what the other driver was doing. My Dad's mouth dropped. The guy was pointing down at the reg plate, then pointing at him, then finally giving my Da the auld w@nkers fist gesture!!
    Tell your Da to switch off the foglights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

BMurr wrote: »
    I drive a 96 A4, unfortunately the reverse phenomenon whereby people might take pity for me driving a 96 and leave fivers stuck under the wipers doesn't seem to happen, so lending credence to the paranoia idea. :D

LOl!!

If only:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

kbell wrote: »
    I'd open my wallet and wave whatever i had in it back at the twat.
    That'd piss him off rightly :D

+1

We can't have the peasantry upsetting good hard working individuals now, can we?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

I think its sad that this is what a minority (and I stress only a minority) of us have resorted to.
    Those who behave in this manner are of a very narrow minded persuasion,IMHO.
    What a lot of them tend to forget is that there are still some very ordinary people who have worked hard all their lives and continue to do so so as to make sure they and their families can live in some simple comfort (without having to flaunt their wealth).
    Basically, my point is this; Is it a crime to own a brand new car?
    Obviously, in this country it is, to some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

What a sad little country we live in. :o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

biko wrote: »
    Tell your Da to switch off the foglights ;)

QFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I have reservations about the original post and the discussion it's created. I'm constantly driving brand new ("luxury") cars and have NEVER come across any kind of begrudgery of anything even remotely like what's being described (actually, no begrudgery at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I did get a spiteful 'nice pose' comment last year when my car was new & I was sitting in traffic (from another motorist, youngish lad in a beat-up Peugeot 306 or somesuch).

Apart from that i've never experenced jelousy but I've never driven the usual 'prestige' German brands and usually had s/h cars...

Unlike some I do think it's possible. Just look at the comments on other boards aimed at (i) builders and (ii) public servants. There is HUGE jelousy, resentment & a baying for blood bubbling under the surface from people who are now struggling or whose livlihood are in jeporty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Comer1

pburns wrote: »
    I did get a spiteful 'nice pose' comment last year when my car was new & I was sitting in traffic (from another motorist, youngish lad in a beat-up Peugeot 306 or somesuch).

Apart from that i've never experenced jelousy but I've never driven the usual 'prestige' German brands and usually had s/h cars...

Unlike some I do think it's possible. Just look at the comments on other boards aimed at (i) builders and (ii) public servants. There is HUGE jelousy, resentment & a baying for blood bubbling under the surface from people who are now struggling or whose livlihood are in jeporty.

I'm a public servant driving a '09 Accord, should I hire a private security firm for protection?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Comer1 wrote: »
    I'm a public servant driving a '09 Accord, should I hire a private security firm for protection?:D

I didn't know they had Hondas in the Traffic Corps fleet these days:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

Comer1 wrote: »
    no, it's just a Honda.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

audismelly wrote: »
    nice bus.well for sum:rolleyes:

If it makes you feel any better, it's only the old model:(

el diablo wrote: »
    no, it's just a Honda.

Dam, and I was looking forward to some w@nker spitting on my bonnet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

pburns wrote: »
    I've never driven the usual 'prestige' German brands

Very few people have driven a Maybach...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Right, my Dad bought an '09 Focus 1.8 TDCi Saloon 2 weeks ago an is more than happy with it. It's his 5th Focus and can't see beyond buying a Focus! A loyal Focus owner. My mam has uses the car mostly as my Dad does mainly city driving. Since she's started driving it, she noticed people flashing her and blowing the horn. Every time she got out checked the lights, tire pressure, brake lights etc, and had begun to question her own ability to drive.

Then the other day the penny dropped. My Dad had the car out in Cornelscourt, South Co. Dublin. He too witnessed the same phenomenom, but got a clear view of what the other driver was doing. My Dad's mouth dropped. The guy was pointing down at the reg plate, then pointing at him, then finally giving my Da the auld w@nkers fist gesture!!l

Do your parents a favour and take the mini Man Utd kit off the windscreen
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I have a very late reg 08. Sometimes people frown in my direction but no spitting so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

That's what I said to him at first, it's not as if they're driving a Ferrari/Bentley or the likes. I think a lot of a$$holes have got their hands torched with the recession and are rightly stuck up sh!t creek without a paddle, hence the Irish inbred begrugery has come to the fore

It still wouldn't be ok to do it if it was a bentley or ferrari! But we do live in ireland and without a doubt the people who live here seem to be the worst begrudgers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

keefg wrote: »
    Hmmm.....maybe the op is onto something here (or maybe this thread should be moved to the conspiracy theory forum :D )

I too have been subjected to similar abuse recently. Just before Christmas I stopped at a Centra store when a group of fellas in their late teens/early twenties were shouting at me (from across the road :rolleyes:) calling me a rich w@nker.

I drive a plain 2007 commercial jeep! hardly an Aston Martin DB9 :confused:

Meh....some people:mad::confused::mad:

I think its more because you were shopping in Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I'd have to agree with the foglights comments.....chck that they know what all the buttons on the dashboard do!

I for one regularly make a point of flashing people in front of me who have rear fogs on in clear conditions (as an example). :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

They never have the foglights on during the day. And it still doesn't explain why that chap hocked a massive loogy on the bonnet of the Merc!

I think it's just the way the country is going unfortunately

I might ring Joe Duffy on Monday morning :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They never have the foglights on during the day. And it still doesn't explain why that chap hocked a massive loogy on the bonnet of the Merc!

I think it's just the way the country is going unfortunately

I might ring Joe Duffy on Monday morning :pac::pac:

Mention they got a loan from Anglo for it and now have no intention of paying it back until the bailiff knocks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jhegarty wrote: »
    Some of those fancy new xeon (sp) lights ?

They blind people, and cause most of symptoms above

+1

Sometimes a flash to people, thinking they not switched lights to short ones. And back to it, i am getting them to turn on the actuall long lights, and blinding me all together.

That could be the problem. Those new lights are really blinding.

But spit on the 09.... Well, i could believe that. Imagine if you just lost your job, and you know, that you wount find a job in near future, and you need pay bills,rent,food... And you see a flashy 09 merc parked next door... Some people just snap :(.

I know its easy to say , when its not your car got spited ( i would actually take his balls, and remove them! ). But get ready to see alot more pissed of people like that lads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bitter arseholes.

If I lose my job, my fault or not, I will deal with it.
    To go around and be pissed off at the people who didn't lose their jobs and are doing well for themselves is fecking pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Jumpy wrote: »
    I think its more because you were shopping in Centra.

LOL :D Maybe you're right!

If I can remember I only went in to get my lotto in the hope of becoming rich as well as a [email]w@nker .....but[/email] to no avail:( I am still only one of the two :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Tbh it's times like this i LOVE my ****ty little '96 corsa. In the family 13 years and only vandalised once. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

AudiChris wrote: »
    I have reservations about the original post and the discussion it's created. I'm constantly driving brand new ("luxury") cars and have NEVER come across any kind of begrudgery of anything even remotely like what's being described (actually, no begrudgery at all).

Im writing all these comments down so I can spit on you when I next see you or on the audi badge.

I dont drive a luxury car like you and the fact I dont wear a suit means you must feel sssssooooooooo above us. Your getting a ding in your 09 door just for that on the 8th February.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I swear to God. My Mam told me the other day, and didn't really believe it. Then when is happened my Da, I began to believe it slightly. Then my Dads brother called over to the house earlier. Then I began to believe it, hence I posted it up here as the evidence became stonewall imo

I don't believe in god.

you heard from someone who heard from someone else, bla bla bla. Small vomit? Doubtful, someone pointing at your dads reg then your dad then giving the finger? Doubtful. Your dad's lights are blinding other motorists. Learn to turn the beams down to the ground. Anyway, them halogen lights are poxy. I do like the focus though, congrats :)

The spit on the merc, was in fact bird sh!t. The guy in the flatbed was admiring the merc, nothing more. Your mates sound like stuck up smucks. "Henry, there's a middle class citizen looking at our car, should we call the police? What if he vomits on it. Quick james (that's the butler) fetch the shotgun"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

In certain regions of Germany they would spit at you if you drove a Merc. Regardless of the economic situation.

Op may be a bit paranoid as well but if you think about it, conspicuous consumption is a little vulgar (coarse at the very least) in all the prosperity so in more recessionary times, this is even more so.

Everyone is free to do as they please and buy a new car if they want, but if people are losing their jobs, homes etc. it can come across as a little arrogant or insensitive to flaunt (apparent) wealth in public. Doesn't excuse people behaving like oafs or general begrudgery though.

There is a certain social responsibility that comes with having money, unfortunately and generally speaking, only older-money types understand this. You will usually find that the more money people have and the longer they have it, the less inclined they are to buy new cars or make socio-economic pretensions with it. Also buying most of todays cars "new" shows a level of materialism and common snobbery (if you like) and above all a total lack of imagination, given what is out there on the used market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The more i think of this the more it is either spite or the new lights that ford have.

I Was driving home last night when my uncles new ford (company) came round the corner, could have sworn he had full lights on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement