Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangers of owning an '09 car?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

keefg wrote: »
    Hmmm.....maybe the op is onto something here (or maybe this thread should be moved to the conspiracy theory forum :D )

I too have been subjected to similar abuse recently. Just before Christmas I stopped at a Centra store when a group of fellas in their late teens/early twenties were shouting at me (from across the road :rolleyes:) calling me a rich w@nker.

I drive a plain 2007 commercial jeep! hardly an Aston Martin DB9 :confused:

Meh....some people:mad::confused::mad:

i get that too, despite my kia being 5 years old and commercial aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Surely this is a troll topic? Had your mother checked she would have known that the reason she was been flashed was because one of your servants coat tails was trapped in the door and they were being dragged along by the car.

We don't really have a class system in Ireland anymore. Wealth isn't a yardstick for anything these days. Believe me, nobody cares if your Dad has an 09 car. As suggested above what probably annoys them is that they're being blinded because he doesn't know how his car works and has the fogs or full beams on all the time.

I don't really think you are a troll, but if we are going to entertain conspiracy theories, it wouldn't surprise me if you were a journalist for a redtop looking for some juicy sensationalist anecdotes about how recession hit Ireland has turned us into a bunch of violent aggressive hoodlums. I base this on the absurd thread title: the DANGERS of owning an '09 car. So please, cut it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

TomMc wrote: »
    In certain regions of Germany they would spit at you if you drove a Merc. Regardless of the economic situation.

Op may be a bit paranoid as well but if you think about it, conspicuous consumption is a little vulgar (coarse at the very least) in all the prosperity so in more recessionary times, this is even more so.

Everyone is free to do as they please and buy a new car if they want, but if people are losing their jobs, homes etc. it can come across as a little arrogant or insensitive to flaunt (apparent) wealth in public. Doesn't excuse people behaving like oafs or general begrudgery though.

There is a certain social responsibility that comes with having money, unfortunately and generally speaking, only older-money types understand this. You will usually find that the more money people have and the longer they have it, the less inclined they are to buy new cars or make socio-economic pretensions with it. Also buying most of todays cars "new" shows a level of materialism and common snobbery (if you like) and above all a total lack of imagination, given what is out there on the used market.

I have to disagree with you there. I'm afraid your post seems quite like the begrudgers people are talking about in this thread. If people work hard enough to earn the money then they can buy what they want. They should also be able to do this without people wanting them to keep it to themselves. What right do others have to say you should be discreet about the fact you work hard and can afford something you may have wanted for a long time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

F-Stop wrote: »
    Surely this is a troll topic? Had your mother checked she would have known that the reason she was been flashed was because one of your servants coat tails was trapped in the door and they were being dragged along by the car.

We don't really have a class system in Ireland anymore. Wealth isn't a yardstick for anything these days. Believe me, nobody cares if your Dad has an 09 car. As suggested above what probably annoys them is that they're being blinded because he doesn't know how his car works and has the fogs or full beams on all the time.

I don't really think you are a troll, but if we are going to entertain conspiracy theories, it wouldn't surprise me if you were a journalist for a redtop looking for some juicy sensationalist anecdotes about how recession hit Ireland has turned us into a bunch of violent aggressive hoodlums. I base this on the absurd thread title: the DANGERS of owning an '09 car. So please, cut it out.

Maybe you have a point here and the more I think about this tale the more ridiculous it seems.

I could probably believe it if it was a top of the range car involved and not just a Ford.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

i get that too, despite my kia being 5 years old and commercial aswell

Someone called you a rich w@nker for owning a 5 year old Kia??? :pac: Where did this happen, Calcutta ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Funxy wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there. I'm afraid your post seems quite like the begrudgers people are talking about in this thread. If people work hard enough to earn the money then they can buy what they want. They should also be able to do this without people wanting them to keep it to themselves. What right do others have to say you should be discreet about the fact you work hard and can afford something you may have wanted for a long time? :confused:

Most begrudgers are lazy so and so's who haven't got the work ethic to acquire the means to afford certain luxuries. So they usually knock people who have things they would love themselves, but cannot and probably will not ever be able to afford.

On the other hand, if you have a higher level of discrimination and are not materialistic, you see buying new cars for what they really are. An exercise in vanity publishing and keeping up with the Jones. A used example on the other hand is for the thinking person. It is "run-in", a fraction of the price and you don't have to be so worried about it getting vandalised or a dent everytime you park somewhere. A far more enjoyable ownership experience, greater financial sense and much less hassle or anxiety overall.

Also people who are well-heeled or have status or real social value quite often live well below their means. Lots of doctors and other highly educated people (of good background and great means) do not or refuse to drive flashy cars on a point of principle. They have no need to either. They see the futility of it all. When you serve the public from all social classes, you see the dignity in people and how crass consumerism can be with people defining themselves mainly by what they own. The new rich brigade in certain professional circles are far more materialistic, but that is more down to their upbringing - a lesser or possible relatively deprived childhood of sorts.

You have only arrived when you have nothing to prove and know better than to shout. So asking people to spend money wisely (with discretion), not rub peoples noses in it, is not born of begrudgery but of good taste and breeding. But then again, I guess this viewpoint doesn't go well with some who drive lurid coloured cars.:D

Someone called you a rich w@nker for owning a 5 year old Kia??? :pac: Where did this happen, Calcutta ???

celbridge (close enough :pac::pac:) 12 year old scumbags have odd ideals of what rich is, and the term they used was cúnt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Most begrudgers are lazy so and so's who haven't got the work ethic to acquire the means to afford certain luxuries. So they usually knock people who have things they would love themselves, but cannot and probably will not ever be able to afford.

On the other hand, if you have a higher level of discrimination and are not materialistic, you see buying new cars for what they really are. An exercise in vanity publishing and keeping up with the Jones. A used example on the other hand is for the thinking person. It is "run-in", a fraction of the price and you don't have to be so worried about it getting vandalised or a dent everytime you park somewhere. A far more enjoyable ownership experience, greater financial sense and much less hassle or anxiety overall.

Also people who are well-heeled or have status or real social value quite often live well below their means. Lots of doctors and other highly educated people (of good background and great means) do not or refuse to drive flashy cars on a point of principle. They have no need to either. They see the futility of it all. When you serve the public from all social classes, you see the dignity in people and how crass consumerism can be with people defining themselves mainly by what they own. The new rich brigade in certain professional circles are far more materialistic, but that is more down to their upbringing - a lesser or possible relatively deprived childhood of sorts.

You have only arrived when you have nothing to prove and know better than to shout. So asking people to spend money wisely (with discretion), not rub peoples noses in it, is not born of begrudgery but of good taste and breeding. But then again, I guess this viewpoint doesn't go well with some who drive lurid coloured cars.:D

The OP was talkimg about a Ford Focus ffs. What utter drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I get funny looks when I drive my Honda Legend on motorways. I think it's just because I'm so small and the car is so big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Comer1 wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, it's only the old model:(

:Dstiil a smashing car.well may ya wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

*snip*

*snip*

Balls! if I can afford it I will buy a new car not as an exercise in vanity but because I want it new (same goes for almost everything else I purchase), if I can afford to take the hit of big depreciation in the first year then I'll buy it new. Your 'vanity' argument carries even less water when you consider people who are given company cars, is it vanity to accept a perk/benift in kind form your employer?

Anyone who can afford a new car and want's to spend their money on one...good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

LMAO. Didn't read the entire thread but the OP was quite funny.
    To be honest I think it's a loada bull. I know the Irish can be bad but they wouldn't care about an 09 car. Especially a Ford Focus..... :p

Sconsey wrote: »
    Balls! if I can afford it I will buy a new car not as an exercise in vanity but because I want it new (same goes for almost everything else I purchase), if I can afford to take the hit of big depreciation in the first year then I'll buy it new. Your 'vanity' argument carries even less water when you consider people who are given company cars, is it vanity to accept a perk/benift in kind form your employer?

Anyone who can afford a new car and want's to spend their money on one...good luck to them.

if nobody bought new cars the used market would be fúcked too, also new cars are required for people who do high mileage and want to keep maintenence costs away (warranty instead of own pocket for parts)

Well i can only respectfully disagree with you again. But i'm not sure what your last point about the people this viewpoint may not sit with is those who drive lurid colored cars. In fact i think this viewpoint may not sit too well with quite a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm sceptical, given the fact that I have 20/20 vision and I'd struggle to see the front reg of a Focus while concentrating on the road. And by the time I could safely see it was a 09 I would be so close that I would not be able to flash my lights before I had passed said car. Daylight is a different matter, but that's as scarce as a 09 Saab this weather.

Saw a 09 Saab yesterday. Nice new tow bar and all on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

I've seen quite a few 09's in Kerry. Saw atleast 6 of them during 2 hours of driving :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Are you sure your parents were not drivin' around D4.All the snobs were probably givin' gestures because a 09 focus is a piece of sh1t to them and was makin' the area look bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Are you sure your parents were not drivin' around D4.All the snobs were probably givin' gestures because a 09 focus is a piece of sh1t to them and was makin' the area look bad
    Agreed, driving a Focus in Cornelscourt must be a bit intimidating - smallest thing on the roads there is a Discovery...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The OP was talkimg about a Ford Focus ffs. What utter drivel.

We are talking about New (09) cars in general including a Merc, not just a Focus.
    Sconsey wrote: »

If people want to buy new (privately) good luck to them, but what I am saying is that buying new as opposed to nearly-new in most cases is a bit silly. Mostly done by people who are buying reg plates not cars as they see them as white goods, changed every 2-3 years - the so-called trappings of success. I'd say most of them paid for on the drip. And buying a second hand car or house is not the same as buying a second hand electrical good or item of clothing. But some people like to keep up appearances or just common snobbery at play. It is different if you got a deal which was unrepeatable on a run out model, but on most mainstream cars, buying new is mostly down to vain pride. Company cars are a little different, that is to do with leasing and tax benefits and company budgets.
    if nobody bought new cars the used market would be fúcked too, also new cars are required for people who do high mileage and want to keep maintenence costs away (warranty instead of own pocket for parts)

People bought new cars like no tomorrow in recent times, and the second hand market is IN turmoil. The dealers got complacent and arrogant have reaped what they sowed. Price fixing, overcharging, lacking common courtesy and a general take it or leave it attitude. The new CO2 and road tax system, not to mention the economic downturn have capped it all off.

Ireland is only a corner shop in new car sales terms and regardless of whether we bought cars new or not, there will always be an abundance of plenty in the UK. The Irish buying public are so conservative and unimaginative that lots of desirable cars are imported used as they were never sold new here in the first place. Available for sale but just very few or no takers. Generally new car buyers cannot think outside the box and are very conformist. And of course the dealers played up on the myth that if you want peace of mind and avoiding NCT hassles and big bills, buy a new car every few years and all will be OK. Depreciation will always be the biggest expense, if you factor most of it out and buy a 2 or 3 year old car it would take something major to go wrong to eat up all the savings. Cars today are not bad like they use to be in the 80's and early 90's, many bland and boring but even very ordinary cars will still do a decades service without major issues.
    Funxy wrote: »
    Well i can only respectfully disagree with you again. But i'm not sure what your last point about the people this viewpoint may not sit with is those who drive lurid colored cars. In fact i think this viewpoint may not sit too well with quite a few people.

Well thanks for your civility. What I mean is that the perception of a new car and its owner can be greatly influenced by its colour and accessories as much as the vehicle itself. A particular car in a sober colour is somewhat dignified, next to the exact same model in a garish one or with lots of bling, flippery and addenda. It kind of gives the game away. If you buy a car for its ability and engineering great, but also how you spec it can be the difference between whispering or shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

^ And the above two posts show why I think this is a troll post as they demonstrate the sort of snobbery (focus is a 'bad' car to drive/own); reverse snobbery (people from Cornelscourt and Dublin 4 are toothy inbreds who look down on anyone who owns a car that doesn't cost a huge amount of money and act aggressively towards them); and the type of begrudgery that the initial troll was trying to extract from users of this board. Classy through and through.

EDIT: late posting, wasn't referring to TomMc

• Advertisement

Im just going to quote the areas of your post i'm responding to here ;)

If people want to buy new (privately) good luck to them, but what I am saying is that buying new as opposed to nearly-new in most cases is a bit silly. Mostly done by people who are buying reg plates not cars as they see them as white goods, changed every 2-3 years - the so-called trappings of success.

The Irish buying public are so conservative and unimaginative that lots of desirable cars are imported used as they were never sold new here in the first place. Available for sale but just very few or no takers. Generally new car buyers cannot think outside the box and are very conformist.

Well thanks for your civility. What I mean is that the perception of a new car and its owner can be greatly influenced by its colour and accessories as much as the vehicle itself. A particular car in a sober colour is somewhat dignified, next to the exact same model in a garish one or with lots of bling, flippery and addenda. It kind of gives the game away. If you buy a car for its ability and engineering great, but also how you spec it can be the difference between whispering or shouting.

I totally agree that irish punters are devoid of imagination when buying in general. Of course there's always a fair few exceptions and yes people do it to keep up with the jones. Which is there own fault and unfortunate because they will miss out on many other great cars. However you have to admit not everyone buys new because of this. There is sometimes very good reason to buy new and like i said if you can afford it and have your own vaild reasons then go for it and anyone who begrudges that obviously has a problem themselves they need to deal with and not throw onto someone else who has annoyed them by buying an 09 car ;)

As opposed to your last paragraph sorry about that i just thought you may be having a go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Had a rock throw out of a bus window at me, hit the bonnet ( luckily not the windscreen) I honestly think it was because I was driving a porsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Had a rock throw out of a bus window at me, hit the bonnet ( luckily not the windscreen) I honestly think it was because I was driving a porsche.

i'd prefer for it to hit the windscreen - quick & easy insurance fix. Bonnet = hassel....

The rock would have potentially gone through the windscreen. Had the wife and children in the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The rock would have potentially gone through the windscreen. Had the wife and children in the car too.

:eek:Wife? Children? In a Porsche? But... Doesn't that defeat the purpose:pac::p

I'm starting to reconsider my opinion on this, i'm starting to think it could be because of jealousy. If all this is true, what an awful world we live in.

:eek:Wife? Children? In a Porsche? But... Doesn't that defeat the purpose:pac::p

Yea the worst looks I got were from middle aged women when I used to drive the blond east european aupair around- talk about begrudery:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yea the worst looks I got were from middle aged women when I used to drive the blond east european aupair around- talk about begrudery:D

ROFL!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Had a Golf GTI keyed when it was about 3 months old, had both my S3 and 335 spat on also when it was parked at side of road.

It's nothing to do with reg plates, it's just Irish begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Unfortunately I can't replicate Funxy's civility/respect with regards your post because I think it just reeks of contradictions and stupidity.

I think you ought to re-read the part I bolded back to yourself.

You pretty much sum up what a lot of the people are complaining about here, but you're trying to spin it by taking some sort of moral high ground.

This is the so-called 'begrudgery' that people are talking about. You're not happy when other people are driving nice cars because you possibly can't afford one yourself?
    And in your last paragraph you try to defend your 'begrudgery' (god I hate that word) by passing it off as good taste/breeding?
    What about all these deprived kids who've worked from rags to riches and want to buy a nice car? Is that ok with you? Or should they consult you beforehand in case they rub people the wrong way?

So asking people to spend money wisely (with discretion), not rub peoples noses in it, is not born of begrudgery but of good taste and breeding.

You are the problem here. Why should people need to be thinking about what YOU think when they're spending THEIR money? Oh and I'm sure all these scumbags spitting on other peoples new cars are from the best moral upbringings.

If people have fairly earned their money, I don't see why they couldn't go out into their front garden and wipe their asses with 50 euro notes without fear of upsetting you. You may think they're crazy for doing such a thing, but you shouldn't be jealous, envious or anything like that.

Lastly, your comment on how people of a higher social value say things like "I refuse to drive flashy cars on a point of principle" is comical. The people who actually say things like that are found in the 'middle-class aspiring to be upper class' category.

I read the OP's first post and thought there's no way in hell this can be real, but since reading TomMc's post I honestly wouldn't be surprised anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

kbell wrote: »
    I'd open my wallet and wave whatever i had in it back at the twat.
    That'd piss him off rightly :D
    What, you mean like 'loadsa money', referring to harry enfields character?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement