Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangers of owning an '09 car?!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

sometimes the mind really boggles as the stupifying stupidity of some people.

anyone buying an 09 car is HELPING the economy not hindering it.... there's gonna be some shortage of 2nd hand motors here in 4 years time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This topic is a load of ****e, I don't believe that the greater population have ganged up on some guy because he has a new Ford Focus.

Cop on & check the headlight adjustment. The beams on so many new cars are dangerous & I am constantly flashing them - they have no idea they are blinding other motorists.

Now all we need is for some gob****e to come on here and start ranting about how the Polish dispise new cars FFS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MarkN wrote: »
    Had a Golf GTI keyed when it was about 3 months old, had both my S3 and 335 spat on also when it was parked at side of road.

It's nothing to do with reg plates, it's just Irish begrudgery.
    My 1997 523i and my wife's 00 206 have both been keyed for no reason. Its neither reg plate related nor Irish begrudgery. Its because as a nation we respect nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Tbh it's times like this i LOVE my ****ty little '96 corsa. In the family 13 years and only vandalised once. :P

Haha, I have a 99 Polo and I'm in the same situation, I always try to park as close to a shop in a parking lot as possible, go ahead, do your worst, bump doors, whatever.... peace of mind.

Bottom line is: It's their money, they earned it and they can spend any which way they want and nobody should angry at them for it.

Ireland just isn't a motor nation, cars are not respected here by general population, or else there wouldn't be any keying, throwing rocks or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Bluefoam wrote: »
    This topic is a load of ****e, I don't believe that the greater population have ganged up on some guy because he has a new Ford Focus.

Cop on & check the headlight adjustment

If you bothered to read the thread, they got them checked already by the garage :rolleyes:.

And it's not the 'greater population', only a select few model citizens :rolleyes:

I'm afraid begrudery is alive and well. Was talking to my aunt over in the Showcase in the RDS and her daughter has left this country for Manchester. There's no work for the here for the field she's in. They're from Donegal and my aunt has told people up there that she is hoping to visit her at least once a month. She has since heard on the grape vine, that a couple of people have been a bit pissed off by her as they feel she is flaunting her wealth by doing so!

Now fu(k me, she's distraught by her daugther emmigrating. Why does this country have to take step back? We've lost any positivity and the presence of begrugery ain't doing us any good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

kbannon wrote: »
    My 1997 523i and my wife's 00 206 have both been keyed for no reason. Its neither reg plate related nor Irish begrudgery. Its because as a nation we respect nothing!

I agree. My '98 nissan emblems were pryed off by some scummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cionád wrote: »
    I agree. My '98 nissan emblems were pryed off by some scummer.
    who would want them lol. Some people find debadging a car nice .

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

flanzer wrote: »
    ....noticed people flashing her and blowing the horn. ..... My Dad's mouth dropped. The guy was pointing down at the reg plate, then pointing at him, then finally giving my Da the auld w@nkers fist gesture!! ....

Is your surname Cowen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

seanybiker wrote: »
    who would want them lol. Some people find debadging a car nice .

Collectors items :pac:
    Debadging looks okay when done right but there are two big holes there now, from where the badge clicks in. Also They were not exactly meticulous with the removal - they must have used a key to do it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to be jealous of a Ford Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I saw a 09 reg the other day and i wanted to spit on it!
    Not out of begrudgery but because it was the new BMW X6 and it looks horrible. it wouldnt look out of place in a monster truck rally. Except for its 09 reg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Seriously, is this thread for real.... nobody's gonna care about an 09 Focus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

''Irish begrudgery'', seriously, are we so special? In Australia they think they have this special affliction called ''Tall poppy syndrome'' - they think that's a pecularity to their culture too.

I'm sure there are other names in different languages for the same thing in every country in the world. I guarantee nobody nowhere likes a boaster/showoff/arrogant wanker.

Not saying the ops parents or friends are any of those things.

Yes people everywhere can be jealous at times - it's not peculiar to us though, we not that special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Tbh it's times like this i LOVE my ****ty little '96 corsa. In the family 13 years and only vandalised once. :P

I've only had one car vandalised on me (knock on wood...). It was back in '99, I was driving an '89 Corsa, I parked it off Pearse St. in Dublin overnight.

I came out in the morning to find shoe prints on the bonnet, the front windscreen kicked in and the roof caved in from people jumping on it.

I don't generally believe car vandalism is due to begrudgers, and I certainly don't think an '09 Focus (or 10 year old Corsa) are vehicles to begrudge.

Some people are just d*cks and have no respect for other people's property. You can't dwell on it, and you certainly can't take it as evidence that the general population are d*cks...

They're from Donegal and my aunt has told people up there that she is hoping to visit her at least once a month. She has since heard on the grape vine, that a couple of people have been a bit pissed off by her as they feel she is flaunting her wealth by doing so!

I'm sorry Flanzer, this doesn't make much sense to me either. In the era of €1 Ryan Air flights, I don't see anyone begrudging someone flying to the UK and staying with relatives one-a-month. Just like the Focus, I think it would take something a little more exotic than Manchester to create jealousy.

I feel that you're either misinterpreting people's intentions and overpersonalising them, or (far less likely, and forgive me for mentioning it) there are pre-existing issues between your family and their neighbours that's causing this kind of resentment to manifest itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

AudiChris wrote: »
    I have reservations about the original post and the discussion it's created. I'm constantly driving brand new ("luxury") cars and have NEVER come across any kind of begrudgery of anything even remotely like what's being described (actually, no begrudgery at all).

I'm not sure that begrudgery is really what's at play. I don't mind anybody driving a very nice/expensive car - I would too if I could afford to.

On the other hand don't think much of showing off, or one-upmanship. Rightly or wrongly, I would suspect anybody driving a new reg in the first few weeks of the year of this. I know that this might be unfair to some, but there it is.

<disclaimer>Not that I would make an issue of it in the ways that people have described, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

On the other hand don't think much of showing off, or one-upmanship. Rightly or wrongly, I would suspect anybody driving a new reg in the first few weeks of the year of this. I know that this might be unfair to some, but there it is.

The problem with that is, any customers of mine who are now driving '09 regs ordered their cars from me somewhere around October time, before everything got really bad.
    I've seen the opposite in fact, we've had a couple of cancellations of cars that were on order because people don't want to be seen driving '09 registrations when the economy is suffering.

I'm sure there are people out there who think driving an '09 reg is a great way to show off to their neighbours how well they're doing, but I don't suspect that motivation from any of my '09 customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

AudiChris wrote: »
    The problem with that is, any customers of mine who are now driving '09 regs ordered their cars from me somewhere around October time, before everything got really bad.
    I've seen the opposite in fact, we've had a couple of cancellations of cars that were on order because people don't want to be seen driving '09 registrations when the economy is suffering.

I'm sure there are people out there who think driving an '09 reg is a great way to show off to their neighbours how well they're doing, but I don't suspect that motivation from any of my '09 customers...

Personally I think that's more likely to be the case from Toyota-driving, Terra-spec Auris/Corolla/Avensis drivers (and maybe the odd Cash-cow driver)...

Dunno why, I just do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

seen a 09 passat the other day...

everyone looking at it but it didn't get touched...

Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

I got a new car... havnt seen anyone look sideways! but thats just my experience in dub! i dont see how one car could get so much negative attention when no1 else is? ?

i needed this car! last car was 12 years old! it was time for an upgrade!
    not showing it off either.. its covered in dirt already and i dont intend on washing it anytime soon!

meh! find it hard to believe there could be that much begrudgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

kbannon wrote: »

No, it's because humans are the same the world over. Ireland, UK, Poland, Australia, wherever. Scum exist and will key cars.
    Stop always whining about Irish. If ye hate the country so much move out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I was in Ballsbridge last week and noticed a property developer in full dress wear (tails n' all - you could tell he was hit by the economy because his creases had fallen out) squatting on the bonnet of a 09 Kia Rio :eek: It was obvious he was a property developer because he was carrying a canvas bag with 'Anglo Irish Swag' on it.

He was leaping around mad shouting "ye can afford a fancy new car, but you won't buy one of my quality {read 'sh1t'} apartments"... Then he jumped into his banged up {read 'valeted on Tuesday'} 08 S class and escaped under the shadow of his blacked out windows...

I really have to to reiterate the point that I think this thread is a load of sh1te - No-one is victimising Ford Focus drivers over the condition of the economy.

GET REAL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

Right, my Dad bought an '09 Focus 1.8 TDCi Saloon 2 weeks ago an is more than happy with it. It's his 5th Focus and can't see beyond buying a Focus! A loyal Focus owner. My mam has uses the car mostly as my Dad does mainly city driving. Since she's started driving it, she noticed people flashing her and blowing the horn. Every time she got out checked the lights, tire pressure, brake lights etc, and had begun to question her own ability to drive.

Then the other day the penny dropped. My Dad had the car out in Cornelscourt, South Co. Dublin. He too witnessed the same phenomenom, but got a clear view of what the other driver was doing. My Dad's mouth dropped. The guy was pointing down at the reg plate, then pointing at him, then finally giving my Da the auld w@nkers fist gesture!!

Today I was talking to my uncle who was sitting in a room at the front of his house with his mate who bought himself a new '09 E270 diesel and noticed a guy get out of a flat bed truck and walk to the front of the car and shuffle around it for a few seconds. Immediately they went out to see what he had done, and noticed a spit mark, nothing short of a small vomit, resting behind the Merc symbol on the bonnet!!

I know Ireland is, and always was, a national full of begrudgers but this take the biscuit. My auld man is beginning to have sleepness night thinking his new car will be torched and badly damaged by a brainless jealous thug.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it happening? Fu(king disgraceful
    SPOOF

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

OK I think everyone has formed an opinion at this point!
    Time to put it to bed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement