Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going through the back catalogue

• 17-01-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I was going through the discs looking for a particular photograph which, I'm pleased to say I found easy enough, and after I'd that done, I had a random look through some of the old photographs.

This is one of the last photographs I took before I metamorphosed into a sports photographer. It's of a theme that's common enough around - me freezing breaking water (there are loads of things like this around) - it's what I did and still do for pleasure when I get a chance.

This was also taken before I learned very much about what you could do with a digital image, so that means it was taken before I really got to grips with how you could do a decent black and white conversion. It was also taken on a sunny day.

I like it a lot. More than I expected given what the original file was like (see below).

3204216738_2000901758.jpg

When I took the photograph way back, I only had the 350D about a month or so, and had been shooting on automatic because the lightmeter on it spoke a different language to the lightmeter on my OM10.

By way of comparison, this is what it looked like before I had at it with Photoshop:

3204239594_9a7fe5a2ae.jpg

I figured people might like to see the original. And I posted this to see if anyone else does something similar - look at old photographs to see if they see them differently now with the benefit of experience. Interestingly, the last set of photographs I did at the High Rock I did with the flash and left in colour for the most part. But I like this one in black and white.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Damn fine conversion. Not the easiest pic to transform. The tone is just right. I must browse back in time. There must be loads of stuff I've forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That's just it though? Large volume of photographs, languishing on a hard drive somewhere.

Even from before I want crazy shooting 1000 photos a day of kitesurfers with continuous shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Slightly OT but anyway; Calina what do you do to stop the spray on your lense?

I'm not sure I understand the question?

Is it what do I do to clean it off, or what do I do to time it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nice conversion, I have had a look at old shots at different times and happy with most of what I see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough; I ment how do you keep the spray of your lense and how to clean it.

Well, you could do what some people are recommending which is wear a lens hood. But that doesn't really work and is why I don't usually bother.

I have a soft lens cleaning cloth with me at all times, a very nice microfibre one. I also have lens pens with me all the time.

This shot was taken with a Sigma 70-300 DG APO and if I remember rightly, it comes armed with instructions to tell you that if you get salt water on the lens, you should clean it with a very slightly damped with freshwater cloth, the idea being I suppose to get the salt off it which I completely agree with. In that case though, I wasn't close enough to get spray on the cam or lens (was a bit more precious about things at the time.

If you're thinking about the front of your lens, another option is a handful of filters and just keep replacing them as they get covered.

Advertisement