Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts in College

Options
  • 17-01-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Is it a good idea to do a degree in some Arts subject at the moment? I mean, even without the recession, the courses I want to do (history, politics etc.) don't sound like they assure good employment afterwards, especially without doing further study. I really want to do Arts, but perhaps, something in Science or Business would be better employment-wise?

Also, do you lot think that the points will subsequently drop for Arts degrees in college this year, because people will think this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd say ask yourself the question: Do I want a more certain job that I may not enjoy, or do I want to do something I enjoy with questionable employment prospects?
    It's over 4 years before you get out of college, it's hard to say what the employment climate will be like. I would say do what you enjoy, you'll find a job out of it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Is it a good idea to do a degree in some Arts subject at the moment? I mean, even without the recession, the courses I want to do (history, politics etc.) don't sound like they assure good employment afterwards, especially without doing further study. I really want to do Arts, but perhaps, something in Science or Business would be better employment-wise?

There are very few Arts subjects that will get you a job straight after college anyway, you'd most likely be looking at a Postgrad anyway, so employment immediatly after college wont exactly be easy.

Do what you are interested in, what will make you money should be a concern but a small one. If you do a course that you dont enjoy for better chances of getting a job, you mighnt enjoy it, and end up wasting money by dropping out and starting again the next year.

As for points, dont count on it, alot of people have the "I'l ride out the recession while in college" attitude which imo is the right attitude for students to have at the moment. Worry about money when your finished you education, be it in 2nd level, 3rd level or 4th level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yeah, I do agree that you should do what you enjoy in college and for me that's probably something in Arts, but I always wished I did Business Studies for the Leaving Cert and I also was thinking of something sciency in 5th year but then I realised I suck at Chemistry and Physics so...

I do hope that points go down for History anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Yeah, I do agree that you should do what you enjoy in college and for me that's probably something in Arts, but I always wished I did Business Studies for the Leaving Cert and I also was thinking of something sciency in 5th year but then I realised I suck at Chemistry and Physics so...

I do hope that points go down for History anyway :D

Hoping points go go down for Commerce...

(OP) u could become a Politicion... you'll surely be better then the current lot... But do what you will enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 -Quinn-09-

Anyone for arts in NUIG this year?????

im thinkin psycology philosophy classics and political studies:)

• Advertisement

-Quinn-09- wrote: »

Niall?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Also, do you lot think that the points will subsequently drop for Arts degrees in college this year, because people will think this way?
    If I were you, which I kind of am ;) I would/am 100% doing an Arts course!

Forget the recession/employment etc. Recessions will come and go but the likelihood is that you'll only have one chance at University. And you won't enjoy it not doing something you really enjoy. Plus, in relation to further study, the more time you spend in Uni now the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

-Quinn-09- wrote: »

Yeah, will definitely be doing both History and English but I'm not sure what else to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Psychology

Advertisement