Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killarney lakes C&C

• 17-01-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Long time lurker, posted a few comments but never posted any images, so here it goes.

some shot from a trip to Killarney in November

C&C appreciated

Thanks,

3203413471_cbf646a323_o.jpg

3204262590_9a242640f3_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

I think they are both nice shots Gozo- I think the light is better in the first. Think you could crop a little from the sky which would tighten the shot-maybe a little more contrast - lovely part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I prefer the tonal and colour range of the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The colour in the frst is quite nice - the sun picking the colour of the reeds gives a nice contrast to the grey / dull sky. I like the reflections of the second one and the muted tones. The first suffers a little from burn out which can be difficult. How did you meter? It is a difficult thing to do because of the differences in the lighting in the scene. Have a read over here - theres a whole thread dedicated to it. Some great information in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

I like the balance and natural colour of the second shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Love the 2nd one - composition and natural colour of it! Especially the reflection on the water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey Gozo,
    Keep on posting up your images! Good pictures for your first batch.

Have you done much to the images in photoshop or anything similar?

I think a tighter crop on both images would make them better, theirs far too much sky in them. If it was an amazing sky with lovely clouds, lots of blue, it might work but seen as it's just grey/white non-detailed sky I think it takes away from the rest of the image. Here's a quick little tweak of the first shot, I hope you don't mind.

gozo_2.jpg

Also, you have a few dust specs on your sensor. These threads may help, here, here, here, here and here.

EDIT: just realised I jumped into saying it was your sensor... they could as easily just be your lens. No need to jump the gun.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

Hi,

thanks for the replies and feedback, appreciate it

regarding the metering, the first is spot metered on the bright area of the reeds and the second spot metered on the dark area of clouds.

There was no clipping in the second photo, i tried increasing the saturation to brighten the reeds and trees as they are quite dull however i decided to revert as this brightened the clouds which i did not want. the dark clouds and reflection in the water was what i was trying to capture.

in the first photo the sky was blown out over in the left, in aperture i used the recovery slider which helped a lot but its all i could get back and there is still loss of detail. ideally i should have used a greaduated filter but didnt have them with me.

kjt, was your change a saturation increase or did you do something else?

good comments about the sky, for the first i could take some away from the top and the second could probably take some from the top and the bottom to try and retain the balance of the reflection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Gozo wrote: »
    Hi,

kjt, was your change a saturation increase or did you do something else?

I added two curves layers, one to darken the sky and one to lighten the foreground. Both using layer masks. Then I adjusted the levels slightly just to brighten the image a tiny amount :)

Advertisement