Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 40D memory speed

• 17-01-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys

Anyone knows where i can find what is the max speed of CF cards i can use in the 40D?

I had a Sandisk ultra 2 4gb that was too slow and gave me a lot of problems, I'm now thinking to buy a lexar 4GB x300 or a Lexar 8Gb x133, will i really need the 300x speed? or this will just affect when I'm transferring the pictures?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

What do you mean by "too slow", is it writing out in continuous shooting or in upload?

There's a comparison floating around somewhere, I'll see if I can find it because someone flagged it to me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Here's a good guide, and may help with what you're looking for.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Calina wrote: »
    What do you mean by "too slow", is it writing out in continuous shooting or in upload?

There's a comparison floating around somewhere, I'll see if I can find it because someone flagged it to me before.

Well i used to take some normal pictures and I don't know why they would be destroyed they would load half of the picture and then it was just stripes, it was random pictures but all the tests i did in the card said the card was fine.

This usually was happening more in long exposure pictures.

Night shots? Very long exposure?

I seem to recall someone telling me that a 350D would write out a full black frame for each long exposure night shot I took (way back when I had a 350D). And I remember that took quite a while.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Night shots? Very long exposure?

I seem to recall someone telling me that a 350D would write out a full black frame for each long exposure night shot I took (way back when I had a 350D). And I remember that took quite a while.

Well both of them i do usually do long exposure of several minutes during the day and also at night, i have another card with a random brand that never had a problem but is only 1gb. it was surprise that a sandisk would give me this kind of issues.

TBH, all my cards are Sandisk and none of them have ever given me any trouble. I shoot with a 40D for the most part too but not soo many long exposures.

I'm at a loss to explain it though; because if you reckon a 1gig card is working okay, my other explanation would have pointed the finger at the camera.

Maybe try a smaller Sandisk rather than the 4gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is it not the case that the write speed of a long exposure is equal to the time of the exposure, or is it half the time of the exposure?? Either way, a long exposure certainly gives long write times.

It may not be a problem with your camera/card at all.

Paulw wrote: »
    Here's a good guide, and may help with what you're looking for.

Tks a lot :D this website actually test all the ones i wasn't sure, now I'm :)

Well I would be very surprised that i wouldn't be able to do a 30min long exposure with a 4GB card when i do with a 4 year old 1gb card, in the end the scandisk card got destroyed and i need to buy one anyway and i will see, i keep you posted if my new Lexar will give problems :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Duchovny wrote: »
    Well both of them i do usually do long exposure of several minutes during the day and also at night, i have another card with a random brand that never had a problem but is only 1gb. it was surprise that a sandisk would give me this kind of issues.

I had a sandisk 2gb card that I had woeful problems with. I kept getting Errors on a 350d that I could only resolve by removing the lens with the power on then powering donw and reattaching the lens then powering it back up. I always presumed it was the lens causing these problems or else the camera contacts.

I upgraded to a 40D and bought a cheapo no name 8GB on ebay as well. While using the sandisk 2gb I kept getting Err99 approx every 50 shots. I tried different lenses, batteries etc. but it would keep happening so eventually changed to the cheapo 8GB card. No problems since. I also tried it out in the 350d and no problems there either!!

So, in my experience, you probably have a dodgy/faulty CF card. :)

Advertisement