Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC 20mb Dublin 11/9?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Can anyone here comment on their service? I'm looking to change from IBB as their pings are awful and I am having a lot of trouble these days on the playstation network despite having it in a Dmz, right ports open, optimal router settings etc.

I have heard people on here complain about the 20mb serivce saying they only get around 10mb... well 10mb would be more than enough for me I'm sure.

Also what sort of routers do they use? Can I just use my Apple Time Capsule instead? I'm not used to having a supplied router as I just have the IBB radio block.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

They supply a cable modem and a bog standard wireless router. You can set up your own router quite easily if you know how. Don't know about the 20mb service but the 10mb I have is absolutely flawless.

Consistently low pings and the lowest speed i'd get is about 7mb during peak time in the hours around 7pm. Aside from those couple of hours you usually get the full whack. Have never heard a peep out of them about my excessive usage (I'd love to check how much I download each month has to be 300gb+). Possibly because I do all my downloading at night & they offer a true fair usage policy.

Does go down for a few hours every month or so but not often enough that you'd complain about it. Should mention I'm in Galway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Same as Simi above tbh. I've the 20M package, 30 minutes to install and haven't had any problems. It did go down last night at about 1:30 but is back (wind im guessing). Not had to contact customer services so cant comment on them. I switched from UTV and ended up saving €20 (I dont need a land line, never used it with UTV).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

su_dios wrote: »
    Can anyone here comment on their service?

20mb + Rapidshare = one whole lotta fun :D

Seriously though, have had above since last August IIRC. Some initial problems, alot of calls to customer service eventually resulted in a knowledgeable guy paying me a visit, removing some contraption from their access point outside the house and replacing it. Flawless since. Can download at 2.5MB per sec. Highly reccomended. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Wow this seems great! I will also be glad not to have to get someone out every July due to the line of sight being obstructed by the growing tree tops.

Whats this like on the ps3 then? Pings are my current major issue.

Btw what speeds do you guys connect at mostly out of the 20mb? I would be guessing maybe 13-16mb?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for this thread.
    The UPC broadband and phone are not yet available in my area, but when they are, I think I'll switch from Smart.
    I've no problem at all with the Smart 8MB service (it's excellent) but the speeds they can give me are limited by eircom's crappy lines. The fastest my line could handle would be 12MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

woudld have to agree with everyone.

have had 20mb ntl since april.

had one outage for about 4 -5 hours and that was when i wasnt really using it.

have to say im very happy with the service.

also i use to have ibb aswell and this is a giant step up from them so called broadband suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am on the 20mb package but I seem to only get 6mb at the moment. I have tried Dublin, Limerick and Galway and the result is the same.

393231715.png

393230847.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Using NTL and getting good pings ,downloads.
    The most reliable test site I've found is http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

The bandwith tests on speedtest.net can be off a good bit:(

Advertisement