Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Price increase!!!! I cancelled. Did You?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Cancelled my NTL as of yesterday.

NTL have the cheek to increase their fees by €3 per month for digital TV in this economic climate.

This is a silly move because as time goes on more and more people like me will cop on and switch to the Free-to-Air Satellite.

Got a Free-to-Air Satellite dish & box (€80) and have RTE on the terrestial aerial in great quality. Well over 70 channels, including BBC's,ITV's,C4's, C5, & Film 4. FREE!!

A real bargain if you ask me.

Really no point in wasting money with NTL these days unless your into
    Pay-Per-View sport.

If I want to watch a match i'll go to the pub and use my NTL money for that.

I'm sure as time goes on Freesat will just keep getting better with more channels added to the line-up.

RIP NTL...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

could'nt agree more. well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

friday1 wrote: »

Got a Free-to-Air Satellite dish & box (€80) and have RTE on the terrestial aerial in great quality. Well over 70 channels, including BBC's,ITV's,C4's, C5, & Film 4. FREE!!

Out of interest where'd ya find the dish and box?

Thanks

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

power city, maplins always have them in stock. BTW a HD box is a good way to go if you have an lcd ready tv, ITV and BBC have a free HD service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm sure you're aware of this, but it took me over 11 months to cancel with them, constant calling, arguing, and lies (from them, not me). If they have any bank/credit card details for you at all, send a letter to your bank to stop payments, and also send the cancellation letter to them registered post - don't trust that they've cancelled it over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I would LOVE to give NTL the flick, but unfortunately the apartments where I live only supply NTL and won't allow dishes to be mounted ANYWHERE on the building :(

Although we love the apartment we're in at the moment, NTL's rubbish 'digital' service and the fact that we can't opt for a different digital service provider is making us seriously think of moving to another place!

WE HATE THEIR 'DIGITAL' AND RUBBISH SET-TOP BOX SO MUCH! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn at the start of next month myself and the missus are moving into a small rented house. Do you think the letting agency would have any problem with a dish being put up? If I can get away without asking I would, sigh, I suppose I really should ask.

€80 for a box and dish with some HD channels would be fantastic as I'm currently paying about €40 a month for basic NTL digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Hmnn at the start of next month myself and the missus are moving into a small rented house. Do you think the letting agency would have any problem with a dish being put up? If I can get away without asking I would, sigh, I suppose I really should ask.

€80 for a box and dish with some HD channels would be fantastic as I'm currently paying about €40 a month for basic NTL digital.

It will be in your lease whether or not it is allowed. There is usually a standard clause disallowing it. It is generally not allowed but they should be amenable enough if they are reasonable people and you don't knock chunks out of the wall. Ask them when you are signing the lease. And just put a line through this clause and get them to initial it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

This recent ruling by the European Court makes interesting reading.

http://www.thelocal.se/16542/20081223/

I'm not sure if it will nullify existing contracts but it must surely call into question future ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Here's the answer..the dish that doesnt look like a dish!
    http://www.digicams-uk.com/category20_1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

NTL have the cheek to increase their fees by €3 per month for digital TV in this economic climate.

This is a silly move because as time goes on more and more people like me will cop on and switch to the Free-to-Air Satellite.

Pay-Per-View sport.

I'm sure as time goes on Freesat will just keep getting better with more channels added to the line-up.

RIP NTL...

Did you cancel your digital service only and still kept your basic package or did you cancel everything? I'd love to do this but would be afraid the freesat wouldn't work for me. I have an old dish still up from sky. Would this do with freesat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Did you cancel your digital service only and still kept your basic package or did you cancel everything? I'd love to do this but would be afraid the freesat wouldn't work for me. I have an old dish still up from sky. Would this do with freesat?

If you were receiving Sky digital on the dish and it hasn't been moved, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Er..unless they've jacked the price up in the last 4 months, basic digital is 25 euro a month?

Get a dish in maplin and a decoder box from Argos in N.Ireland, simple enough to setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Pay-Per-View sport.

RIP NTL...

oh id love to.... but sky only do DD and i dont trust it (bad exp with it before)

Did you tell them you were cancelling because of the price hike? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

eth0_ wrote: »
    Er..unless they've jacked the price up in the last 4 months, basic digital is 25 euro a month?

Get a dish in maplin and a decoder box from Argos in N.Ireland, simple enough to setup.

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm paying, I must check my next bill in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

Well its funny how things change when you ring up to cancel...

NTL's Policy is to offer all sorts of discounts before you cancel.

You have to give them 1 month's notice. This gives them some time.

In week 3, they will offer a discount in writing to try and keep you, If you call them and tell them you don't want to cancel.

So if you're lazy you get screwed.

You could try and fake this and see what discount they offer you.

I finished with them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

eth0_ wrote: »

I've moved from analogue to basic digital recently, and I'm pretty sure I'm being charged 20 euro per month. Are prices different, depending on whether you're a new customer or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

I requested a call back from customer service requesting answers to certain questions. If no answer can be provided I'm cancelling.

-which 'national post' including date and page was this increase placed.

-where on the upc.ie site was this increase placed

-if it was only advertising price packages for 'new or anolgue only customers' do exisiting customer get to avail of the same promo package?

-how come all the stupid advertisements in the mail and not a single thing containing the price increase, or notification on the last bill?

I'm not using DD for the exact reason that companies like this will then say 'errors with the system' are causing you to still be billed, etc.

To the person saying they are not allowed to put up satellites at their apartment. Sky will canvas your apartment block on your request gauging interest in new customers. If more than 4 (depending on size of block) will subscribe, they will contact the owner of the building offering to wire everything up with 1 communal satellite at 0 charge to building owner. Worth looking into.
    NTL are the most disgusting company I've ever had to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

They sent me a list of price increases in OCT with my bill after I seen that that was enough just went to SKY it's more expensive but worth ever penny and the custmer service is a lot better :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Called to cancel on friday. Took 20 minutes to hal an hour to get through to a human.

Told him straight up that I was being raped with fees for a ridiculous service when compared with Free-to-air.

I have to contact them in writing. Will take 30 days.

Am preparing to cancel my DD as soon as last bill is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

soc wrote: »
    I would LOVE to give NTL the flick, but unfortunately the apartments where I live only supply NTL and won't allow dishes to be mounted ANYWHERE on the building :(

Although we love the apartment we're in at the moment, NTL's rubbish 'digital' service and the fact that we can't opt for a different digital service provider is making us seriously think of moving to another place!

WE HATE THEIR 'DIGITAL' AND RUBBISH SET-TOP BOX SO MUCH! :mad:

Renters market. Move apartment. Honestly do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I'm on the €20 basic digital package. have been a customer for a few years. rang them and tolf them I wa slookign for a better deal. of course they say "well you're on the cheapest package"

I was put through to someone dealing with cancellations. Told him I was looking for a bit of loyalty or I would cancel as I could do without.

He offered me 4 months free if I commited myself again for a year whcih I did. 80 euro saved. happy days. I actually had no intention of cancelling.

:-)

Advertisement