Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A real Tesco Rip off

• 17-01-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Needed a second USA to UK adaptor plug.

Got one last week in local hardware for €2.50. Thought I'd get one in Tesco - they had one alright in the "Tesco Value" hardware range.

Price??

€8.96!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I'll wait til monday to get it locally.

Knowing a wee bit about prices & business, the local hardwrae is probably buying this for about €1 - €1.20. Therefore Tesco is probably buying it for about 70c.

That's a RIP OFF!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

darc wrote: »

€8.96!!!:eek::eek::eek:

You sure the adapter was priced correctly? That sounds like a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seems odd, especially for their value range. They sell toasters & kettles for around that price in the value range!

Seems you might have missed out on a bargain, you should scan stuff you suspect to be wrong in store, if it scans lower instore than the price shows then buy it. You will then get a full refund and keep the item.

Even if it is correct it is still not a rip off in my mind. I was expecting a real rip off for just once in this forum. e.g. "I went to tesco bought a plug advertised for €2, it went in with my other shopping and I did not spot that I was charged €9 for it, when I went back the next day they refused to exchange it or refund me and said I should have spotted it myself, they had since changed the price displayed".

You didn't buy it so were not ripped off, anybody did made a concious decision that it seemed to be worth it, otherwise they too would not have bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Price was correct - barcode matched. Other similar products such as 3 pin plug €4 odd, (€1.50 max in most hardwrae stores) UK to world adaptor €7 odd. (€3.50 in most stores)

In my opinion, a rip off is when a retailer or other type of business is charging an exorbitant amount for a product that is not justified by costs or convienence.

What I have noticed in Tesco is that products such as hardware, kitchen accessories & personal care have hugely inflated prices to make up for the small margins on foodstuffs.

The point of this thread is for people to be careful when purchasiing non food items in place like tesco as they are marked up way and above what is taken as normal practice and are usually substantially cheaper in a local store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Look at this: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866, will work out at less than €2.50 delivered to your door from Japan.

Tesco sell the same thing for €30 :eek:

I wonder do they buy direct from dealextreme themselves:pac:

I didn't buy it, but they wouldn't stock it if people wouldn't buy it, so people are getting ripped off with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

darc wrote: »
    The point of this thread is for people to be careful when purchasiing non food items in place like tesco as they are marked up way and above what is taken as normal practice and are usually substantially cheaper in a local store.
    I found some things very cheap. But it is a good point not to presume they are, powercity & woodies do this too. They have some good deals and many are unaware of how much oddball items should cost, i.e. you do not regularly buy a travel plug, so somebody might see it as a "tesco value" product and just presume that is the "going rate", actually usually cheaper than the going rate.

I saw powercity do this with bulbs, big sign saying they were reduced but they were far cheaper in tesco at the time. Woodies do the same, local hardware shops can often be much cheaper, and the staff in my local hardware place actually know what they are selling and can give advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement