Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miracle on the N7

• 17-01-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

This Gantry:

3203438755_36696189ac.jpg

Fell on this car:

3204274244_fcec7d1bb0.jpg

And these people walked away:

3203428617_ca8eff389f.jpg

More Here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Fantastic photos.
    I'd just seen this story on the news - full marks for speed of getting it up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bloody hell they're lucky. Good shots too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,408 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

made a right mess of the car, very lucky indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Using a scanner Fergus?

Nice shots

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nice shots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

soccerc wrote: »
    Using a scanner Fergus?

Nice shots

Was down in Walkinstown at a collapsed tree and heard about it on news so flew up, had to abandon car on N7 climb accross Luas tracks and climb up a grassy bank!

Scanner is a good idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

well done!!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well captured.

I'd say there are a few "engineers" worried tonight, yet another example of the efficency of the way we do things here.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Excellent! Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Excellent photojournalism. Great pics of an amazing escape. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great opportunity for some real life shots.

I was out driving today (camera in the boot) came along a long line of cars, turned to avoid the delay and heard later it was a fallen tree, never thought of the photo opportunity :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Did the people give consent for their images to be used?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Did the people give consent for their images to be used?

No need for consent, incident was in a public place

I would certainly ask for my image to be obscured if it was me.

You could ask but I wouldn't have to accede to your request nor would I

The thing is that any newspaper that you may have sold these images to would obscrure the images of those poor people on request.

Not very likely.
    If they didn't they could find themselves on the receiving end of a law suit.

Based on what case law?
    It would be entirely possible that a judge would agree that your actions were an invasion of privacy despite it being a public place.

Can you again provide evidence to back this up, in particular as above the case law

EDIT/ The quoted post seems to have been removed or deleted by the OP after my reply was posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Great opportunity taken Fergus. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Dodgykeeper, nice news shots, well done

I asked the guy if he minded me taking his pictures, He asked me if I worked for a paper I said I was freelance and he had no problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Great photojournalism, well done.

T.

• Advertisement

I asked the guy if he minded me taking his pictures, He asked me if I worked for a paper I said I was freelance and he had no problem!
    Fair play to you for asking.

Great pictures. :)

It was one of those things I have often tought about, if I came across something gruesome would I shoot it, Thankfully nobody was hurt altough they were obviously shocked, have contacted his since and all is well!

May even see if he wants to buy some prints ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Hey all,
    This is the first i have heard of this and i cant find anything about this on RTE's website could have been a lot more serious by the looks of it. Have any TV or newspapers reported on it?
    great shots by the way.
    I dont live far away and use the luas everyday if that had hit a luas during rush hour could have been very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

It's so strange that this isnt being reported on the news? Deffo sounds news worthy to me- whats the deal with it?

Great pics by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

great photos, terrible accident. havent heard anythin on the news about it yet!

in regards to the peoples identity being obscured in the photos, there has been photos/film footage of people being rescued out of that plane in New York and nothing was ever mentioned about protecting their faces.

if anything i would keep a copy of the newspaper article as something to show the grand kids in a few years, 'look how we escaped death' !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

When it's your lucky day, you may be forgiven for having soiled your shorts!
    You don't get much closer than that!

Great shots, Fergus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Thumpette wrote: »
    It's so strange that this isnt being reported on the news? Deffo sounds news worthy to me- whats the deal with it?

Great pics by the way...

RTE is a terrible terrible website, especially when compared to other news sites.
    Even when they have news it is no more than a few paragraphs.
    I drive at night in my job and always have my Camera with me for anything newsworthy and remember I work in the north inner city with some of the roughest parts of Dublin.
    The 2 guys that were shot dead in Summerhill were on the Wedensday, I worked the Tuesday and the Thursday!!

Having met Fergus before I still chuckle at his line...:p
    "so flew up, had to abandon car on N7 climb across Luas tracks and climb up a grassy bank!"

Oh...well done Fergus,especially for the climbing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

phog wrote: »
    Great opportunity for some real life shots.

I was out driving today (camera in the boot) came along a long line of cars, turned to avoid the delay and heard later it was a fallen tree, never thought of the photo opportunity :mad:

Where was that, I got a photo out by the Lanterns is it the same place with my new nifty 50!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Why??

• Advertisement

trooney wrote: »
    Why??

Most people are private/shy generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Well done Fergie.. See the Indo carry your shots today.. Fair play to "whoever" gave you that tip off... ahem! haha..

As for people getting their faces hidden. Thats totally ridiculous. What reason would be given for this? They were lucky survivors of an accident. They did nothing wrong...
    It happened in a public place so Fergie is 100% entitled to shoot this.

shepthedog wrote: »
    As for people getting their faces hidden. Thats totally ridiculous. What reason would be given for this? They were lucky survivors of an accident. They did nothing wrong...

Yeah, there's no question that Fergus did anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Well I saw them in the Irish indepent today!

It's amazing though how sometimes it's a matter of being in the "right" place at the right time... (and do some climbing apparently hehe)

Well done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

shepthedog wrote: »

If this had been me in that car, i certainly would NOT have wanted my face published without my consent. i don't care if it was in a public place and who took the photograph. that's just a personal thing though

- and i don't think it's fair to call such an opinion ridiculous. doing so is just.....well.....ridiculous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

artyeva wrote: »
    If this had been me in that car, i certainly would NOT have wanted my face published without my consent. i don't care if it was in a public place and who took the photograph. that's just a personal thing though

- and i don't think it's fair to call such an opinion ridiculous. doing so is just.....well.....ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Haha. You think Britney Spears wants everyone to see her underwear when she climbs out of a limo?

• Advertisement

If you picked up the paper this morning and saw your picture in it, there's not much you could do. Unless of course your picture was used to wrongly assoiciate you with something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This event ws included on RTE, i think the 9 o'clock news. All they had was one still pic, so its probably why they didn't spend much time on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What you want and what you get can be two very different things in life. So my parents always told me. :)

You may not want your image in the paper, but you have no grounds at all to object to your image being used. For news, the paper is entitled to print your image, no matter what you want.

Great images Fergus. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Well done fergus. one of the lads I work with say this taking place he was 1/2mile back and could believe his eyes, he was gutted he wasn't quick enough with his camera phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

kgiller wrote: »
    Haha. You think Britney Spears wants everyone to see her underwear when she climbs out of a limo?

you're completely missing the point i was trying to make - if i was in an accident like those people were and had just escaped death and was a bit 'shook up' the last thing i would want is someone flinging a camera in my face that's all.

it's a personal opinion.

whether i have the right to object to them being used in a newspaper is irrelevant to my point. it's a PERSONAL thing.

whoop dee doo for the nice photos of people being shocked and all but if it was ME that had just got out of the car and someone had asked ME could he take a photo - regardless of whether he wanted to put them on the front of the times or have them printed up as novelty beermats or just fling the memory card in front of the next bus i would have told him to f*** right off. :eek:

**PERSONAL OPINION
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kgiller wrote: »
    But she didn't have any on......aaahhh I get ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thanks to everyone who have expressed opinion on rights / wrongs here.

The issue of whether one agree's / doesn't agree with photographs being taken of people emerging from an incident is a matter of personal opinion and both sides of the argument are valid. In this case - neither supreme.

There have been such threads in the past. Please use the search to find threads on ethics, disasters and the like.

I don't think for the purposes of this thread further discussion on the issue of right/wrong is merited or is assisting the OP who has clearly opted to take the photographs.

Certainly if someone wants to start an independent thread or resurrect a zombie thread from bygone days to continue the debate then feel free to do so.

All other discussion / comment on this thread is welcomed - revisiting the issue described above will be considered ignoring of this moderation direction.

Thank you.

Thanks for all the comments Boys and Girls, I was in contact with the driver today and all is well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

'Just a word of caution: Posting images anywhere on the web that can be accessed by another person is considered "Publishing" and can leave the site owners and the "Publisher" open to legal claims if for example somebody is defamed or held to ridicule. In my humble opinion the pictures in this post are perfectly safe!

Advertisement