Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any real difference in meaning between 'cynical' and 'sardonic'?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Or are they just two different ways to say exactly the same thing (nothing wrong with that, I might add). On consulting the dictionary, I fail to see any real difference. Or is one more emphatic than the other?

I've wondered about this for years and never thought to raise it with someone, until I was reminded of the word recently when one of the speakers at the funeral of the recently deceased TD, Tony Gregory, referred to his 'sardonic smile'. Is there any meaningful difference between this and a 'cynical smile'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I would say that these two words are quite different in meaning.

The term ‘cynical’ usually describes a mistrust in the intelligence, motivation, and sincerity of intention of others.

The term ‘sardonic’ is the adjectival form of the noun ‘sardonicism’, which describes a cold, cruel or malicious laugh. Hence, a ‘sardonic smile’ would imply a more vindictive attitude rather than a passive scepticism.

However, I think that this term is a bit over the top in relation to Tony Gregory’s smile, which might at best be described as ‘cynical’ or ‘mischievous’.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Cynical is skeptical and doubtful, while sardonic is mocking and derisive.

Advertisement