Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance query

Options
  • 17-01-2009 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Quick question thats bugging me -

When I see some adverts for rental property on daft/ in local paper / etc there are some adverts that specify that any potential tennants can't be on 'rent allowance'

Why is this exactly? Would it not be more beneficial if someone was on rent allowance because it guarantees them payment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

AFAIK the rent allowance payment is made to the tennant and not directly to the landlord so theres no real benefit to the landlord.

I think they just dont want to have someone on benefits in the house, much more likely to get the rent off someone who is working than someon who is not.

(This is not a dig at people who recieve rent allowance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Because of the drop in sterling - my income is a basic UK pension - I have had to apply for rent relief. I asked the welfare officer re why some landlords refuse it; he said it was to screen out undesirables, and also if the landlord's affairs were not in order. You do have to get forms filled in by the landlord or agent. I have been awarded it in an existing tenancy.The letting agent was fine about it.

Advertisement