Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance Student (with a twist)

Options
  • 17-01-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Could you tell me if the following situation would be eligible for free fees under the second chance scheme.

Approximately 10 years ago completed a national cert. But left it there. Without having attained a degree, got a research MA in recent years due to a high level of experience in a particular area. This MA was completely self funded.

Now wish to start a 4year degree in an area not related to either the cert or MA because the MA without a bachelors degree isnt proving all that useful.

Are there any options for getting fees covered at all

Comments

kob29 wrote: »
    Could you tell me if the following situation would be eligible for free fees under the second chance scheme.

Approximately 10 years ago completed a national cert. But left it there. Without having attained a degree, got a research MA in recent years due to a high level of experience in a particular area. This MA was completely self funded.

Now wish to start a 4year degree in an area not related to either the cert or MA because the MA without a bachelors degree isnt proving all that useful.

Are there any options for getting fees covered at all

Usually you have to have not finished your degree to be considered as a second chance student (which is where the 5 years outside the course and going back to have your course fees paid for again comes from) - usually if you have a previous degree I don't think there's a way to get it paid.

So you have a level 9 qualification and you're looking to go back to level7/8... so I'm unsure really. My gut feeling is that no, you'll be paying for the course yourself.

However, I'm not sure so you should check it with the dept. of education yourself! Hope your return to college goes well though :)

Advertisement