Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax and Insurance holder

Options
  • 17-01-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Had a Garda stop me doing tax and insurance.

She stopped me and told me that my tax and insurance holder should be in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen.

Of course, I always have it behind the rear view mirror as this is the least obstructive of places to put it on the windscreen.

Surely the bottom right hand corner is the worst place to put it. I made my argument with her but we sorta agreed to disagree.

Where does everyone else put it. I would think where i put it or down in the bottom left hand corners would be the two best places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That was being a bit picky although I used to drive an alfa 166 which had a holder attached to the rear view mirror for tax & insurance. The funny think was that any gaurd less than about 6'2" found it very hard to read the disc due to v long bonnet and even from the side of the car, it was a long way away. Maybe that was her concern?
    Were you a smartarse towards her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Bottom left mate i have always put mine there and never had hassle. They put em in the bottom left in the uk too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had a Garda stop me doing tax and insurance.

She stopped me and told me that my tax and insurance holder should be in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen.

Of course, I always have it behind the rear view mirror as this is the least obstructive of places to put it on the windscreen.

Surely the bottom right hand corner is the worst place to put it. I made my argument with her but we sorta agreed to disagree.

Where does everyone else put it. I would think where i put it or down in the bottom left hand corners would be the two best places.

I've got mine in the top left corner, well out of the way. I agree with you ... bottom right would be possibly the most obtrusive place I could imagine.

I'd be interested to know if there's any legislation in this regard to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Garda was wrong. Disc holders can go anywhere on the front windscreen as long as they're not obscuring the drivers vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bottom left hand corner surely? As seen from the drivers position...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

mickdw wrote: »

Was trying to be more chatty than anything.

I would have thought behind the mirror would be best as your are killing two birds with one stone in terms of restrcting vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw a car on the N18 years ago with the tax, insurance and NCT on the back window lower right hand side. Mad, just mad :mad:

At least you stood up for your opinion instead of the usual "yes garda of course garda".

Rental companies put them in front of the mirrors these days. I dont know why but for a Garda it makes it very hard for them to read it because the small lettering cannot be read from that distance.

Mine is, always has and always will be in the bottom left as far away from obscuring my vision as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bottom left as well. I hate the ones that go one on top of the other, up along the left handside of the window. Annoys me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

mickdw wrote: »

Sounds like she was being a bit of a smartarse towards him, tbh!

She pulled him to check if he had tax/insurance/nct, whatever, and when she saw that he did, she had to find something else to moan at him for.

Typical woman, and Im a woman myself, so no sexist rants ladies, please.

Your disc holders can be wherever you want them to be so long as they are not obstructing your vision, and are visible to gardai, not just the ones that pull you over, but the ones that patrol car parking areas checking discs.

Unrelated, but the L plates however, do have specifications. They have to be on the top left of front windscreen, and top left of back windscreen (not 100% if it HAS to be like that on back, but definitely has to be top left at front) They also have to have a white square background. Ive seen so many L's that have been cut up into circles, Ive seen the white cut out of them altogether, and hell, Ive even seen them stuck on the body of the cars (on bonnets and boots!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would have taken her number and reported her to the garda ombudsman for being incompetent, sooner idiots like this in the Gardai get sorted out the better.

All Garda cars have it on the bottom left.

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

All Garda cars have it on the bottom left.

most garda cars dont have them at all, well the unmarked ones don't anyway. Thats how you'd spot them! Not that I need to be looking out for them or anything!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

All Garda vehicles have tax discs

All Garda vehicles have tax discs

Indeed you are correct. They only have the one disc (well only one displayed) and thats how you would know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

peanuthead wrote: »
    Sounds like she was being a bit of a smartarse towards him, tbh!

She pulled him to check if he had tax/insurance/nct, whatever, and when she saw that he did, she had to find something else to moan at him for.

I had one similar. Stopped at 2am on a cold Saturday night. Heading into town to pick herself up. Garda check point for tax and insurance. Tax and insurance all in order. Next thing put the window down. Window went down and I hear is a grumpy "Go on". Looking for smell of drink I say so he could get out of the cold but I wasn't one to get him out of the cold.

Advertisement