Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miracle on the N7

• 17-01-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

This Gantry:

3203438755_36696189ac.jpg

Fell on this car:

3204274244_fcec7d1bb0.jpg

And these people walked away:

3203428617_ca8eff389f.jpg

More Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not a chance I would've walked out if that was me in that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thread on this in motors too. Really lucky escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sherifu wrote: »
    Thread on this in motors too.
    Also in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Makes you wonder how well this gantry was put in? I know the things act like giant sails but I'm sure they should be designed for higher winds than what we've had. I know its been bad but I've seen worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I am sure some idiot TD/councillor will call for the immediate removal of all signposts everywhere in the interests of public safety!

Most of the Irish overhead gantries seem to be built like battleships when compared with their counterparts in UK and mainland Europe. I am surprised it fell but fortunately no serious injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Luck they were not driving slower. But speed kills. I am so conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

Very lucky people to escape from that!

wounder will the state pay for a new car + compinsation for shock ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I was around Tallaght this afternoon and the winds were something else at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think its mad how well the Golf handled it

Makes you wonder how well this gantry was put in? I know the things act like giant sails but I'm sure they should be designed for higher winds than what we've had. I know its been bad but I've seen worse.
    Hamndegger wrote: »
    I was around Tallaght this afternoon and the winds were something else at times.

The weather station at Belmullet, Mayo recorded record wind speeds of 174km per hour today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

For reference, the downed gantry is the partially obscured one in the following pic. It simply should not have fallen in the wind today, severe as it was.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10077/IMG_2450.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

BrianD wrote: »
    I am sure some idiot TD/councillor will call for the immediate removal of all signposts everywhere in the interests of public safety!

I wouldn't put it past some of them...

What concerns me is that this gantry is very new... how did it topple so easily? We had winds of up to 140 km/h, but surely it was built to withstand more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

davton wrote: »
    I think its mad how well the Golf handled it
    not even a broken backseat window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

From this, it would appear that the joint between the foundation and the vertical of the gantry held, but the foundation moved - the foundation was possibly undersized.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergusmcnally/3203775099/in/set-72157612682219932/

Victor wrote: »
    From this, it would appear that the joint between the foundation and the vertical of the gantry held, but the foundation moved - the foundation was possibly undersized.

How do you say the foundation moved? To me the foundation is still in place. It the bolts between the two....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Victor wrote: »

looks like the bolts sheered, as the base isnt connected to the cement support anymore. nearly saw 2 crashes on the m50 between finglas and blanch due to cross winds.... remember when they used to close the toll bridge if the winds were very high, used to think it was very funny that a new road couldnt handle high winds..

Apologies, yes. I only now zoomed in on the picture (difficult with flikr).

I though that the concrete had turned on its side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

That'll be an interesting story for the insurance company

They were extremely lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

As was already stated the Gantry shouldn't have fallen. No doubt this will lead to more money being spent inspecting similar gantries and possibly replacing a load on the basis that they weren't put up properly.

The potential is there for more inquiries, money, time, inconvenience and general messing around because somebody somewhere got it wrong.

But of course I could be wrong.:D

Really glad to see that nobody was killed or harmed by this.

Would be good to see a video of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Looks to me like the gantry in question was one of those new-style cantilevers that was introduced back in 2005.

That particular cantilever was put up within the last year. That's not good... :(

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Looks to me like the gantry in question was one of those new-style cantilevers that was introduced back in 2005.

That particular cantilever was put up within the last year. That's not good... :(

I was trying to think when it was put up, and i was thinking it would be since august or so...? Making it up a max of 5 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

dbyrne wrote: »
    looks like the bolts sheered
    Most of the bolts appear to still be in place so it's probable that the nuts came off under pressure. While it's possible that below-spec nuts were used (and broke), I'd put my money on nuts that were a size too big for the bolts. A lucky escape. Time for a rapid inspection of all similar gantries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

As the gantry is so new I'd imagine the building contractor's insurance will be picking up the tap for this one, and any further inspections of others which will be required now.

Another split second earlier and they were seriously injured, if not dead.
    The car held up very well.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

amacachi wrote: »
    Not a chance I would've walked out if that was me in that car.

Would you have stayed in it, and looked for more money in your insurance claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I drove by yesterday afternoon and saw the gantry on the ground with the solitary squad car to stop people from trying to access the M50 northbound that way. When driving down to join the M50 South, the wind was as fierce as I ever experienced while driving. They were very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It was windy yesterday. But, not this windy:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Furet wrote: »
    It was windy yesterday. But, not this windy:

And that children is why you don't undertake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jhegarty wrote: »
    Luck they were not driving slower. But speed kills. I am so conflicted.

If they were driving slower it might have fallen well in front of them.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Stekelly wrote: »

Or directly on top of them. Or a little bit in front of them and they wouldn't have been able to stop in time before smashing into a giant solid steel gantry..

Anyhow, very lucky that they were able to walk away unharmed.

As others have said - it should not have fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

testicle wrote: »
    Would you have stayed in it, and looked for more money in your insurance claim?

Yup, that's what I was trying to get at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Stekelly wrote: »

The first thought that came through my head was Gaybo turning up at the scene and proclaiming this as a reason to slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a million things sinc ethey woke up that morning would contribute to them being exactly where they were at exactly that time and anyione one of them could have put them a couple of feet further forward, or back.

blind luck was obviously on their side that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

amacachi wrote: »
    Yup, that's what I was trying to get at.

How comforting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Richie75

Hi All,

That was actually me and my girlfriend in the car. Very lucky escape as a number of you have noted. If any of you can tell us who is responsible for looking after those gantries it would be much appreciated. A game of pass the parcel started about 45 minutes after it happended, while we were left standing there.

Will probably be 2/3 years before someone owns up, but will let ye know what happens! Thanks be to God the only injury was to my girlfriend who's broken foot was further crushed so she has a possible additional four weeks with her foot up as if it were not initially bad enough.

Richie (& Emer)

Richie, how are the nerves? :)

Responsibility is likely to be between the contractor and the council, but they may wish to recoup the money from a sub-contractor or designer. You should talk to a solicitor.

Take care of yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You were blessed their incompetence didn't kill the pair of you. Definitely need to speak to a solicitor before anyone else. The responsible party or parties needs taking to the cleaners and in any normal country would probably face criminal charges too. Main thing is you are alive. I wouldn't say any more on a public forum about this as it may harm your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Richie75

Thanks for that.

Advertisement