Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitesurfing Dollymount

• 17-01-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

I met Janer down in Dollymount for a chat and take a few shots, seen these guys starting up down the beach and mosey'd down to take a few shots. All shots taken with a 1dmk3 and 70-200 f2.8. If I did it again I would be in wellies with the 1d or 5d and 15mm fisheye with a flash and battery pack. C&C welcome and click on pictures to see larger versions on Pix.ie

60DB20D419BE4EE19694F19DE161D4C6-800.jpg

24B1A56E93484DEB9CDA136EB01CD57B-800.jpg

7D0B5511A21B41D5A80E5A2FE3921208-800.jpg

932970793419475CB5927FC8BCAFB0BD-800.jpg

51ECA2B437A04DC88D0555DCDD9EA5C5-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Did Janer bring the 2 litres of cider :D, Sme great shots there Borderfox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Like the second last one and last one
    Seemed like a pretty dull day to be shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hes off the gargle!! :)

A very dull day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Angling waders at a very minimum to be honest. I am not sure that wellies would get you near enough with a 15mm fisheye. Do not leave your phone in your pocket either cos "accidents" happen. (which is why I wear a wetsuit these times...).

Rotten looking day though.

Last one is the nicest but I'm intrigued, did you shoot that with the 70-200? What was your shutter speed? It looks a tad on the soft side in largest size and looks kind of noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Reason why I'm off the drink is because I got a skinhead on the Thursday and broke out in some allergy which was like 10 billions spots all over me.
    I still braved the cold for 90 mins.... :p

I only had a 24-105L as my zoom lens with me.

BFAE16250A0446A0B3CB3CBBAF27A3BF-800.jpg

C7C408625F1D4D2ABF79C25F6061E2ED-800.jpg

I would like to do this type of shoot properly some time, I wasn't in the mood yesterday what with illness and also not the right equipment.

Guys who did the surfing were very very polite.

70-200 for all of them, shot at 1/800th that shot was 5 different exposures from the one RAW to brighten it up and bring out a bit of detail in the sky. That level of noise wont come out on a print up to 18x12.

1 scores highest marks AR. The 24-105 is not a bad range to have - I've shot these guys with a 50mm 1.8 as well (can be fun) and with a 17-85 (until it blew up).

Don't recognise that guy though although I recognise the board.

The beauty of 21MP I think.....lots of detail left after cropping.

In fact you may have a good point Calina, because everytime I use the 70-200 for whatever it may be I can never get my bearings with it.....I do either be too close or too far, or should I say I just can't move/zoom in-out quickly enough with it.

You didn't have it with you yesterday, so...I don't know how this applies to other situations where you use the 70-200. I don't have that lens but I have used it on occasion.

Do you use a monopod with it? I don't like monopods as a general rule but it's pretty much indispensable with a lens that heavy, particularly for something like this. I'll guess you noticed they can whizz along at fairly high speeds.

• Advertisement

No I didn't have it with me yesterday but with choice I would use it without a monopod.
    As you said the guys are fast....I would only use a monopod for Footy and Cricket.

I wouldnt use the 70-200 on a monopod the 120-300 would need one for general use but I have used the 70-200 for the day with no problems

You've to remember I'm a girl and it's a 50-500mm I'm usually sporting.

I remember the 50-500 when I had it and that was definitely a monopod job alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

cracking shots there lads, well done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

I'm an absolute novice but would love to snap these guys in their mid-air antics. I have a few pics but rarely hang around long 'cos I don't want to piss them off!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Number 5 is pretty nice! Comp is good! Your 2nd animal rights is nice as well! :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

oneweb wrote: »
    I'm an absolute novice but would love to snap these guys in their mid-air antics. I have a few pics but rarely hang around long 'cos I don't want to piss them off!

Unless you actually get in their way in the water, it's pretty hard to annoy them. They are actually very okay about having their photos taken.

The guys we met were 110% totally nice, I even commnted on this to Keith.
    And its virtually impossible to get in their way unless you're a total plank. :D

Advertisement