Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Week 19

• 17-01-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭

Saturday, January 17, 2009
    19:00 UK Barcelona v Deportivo La Coruña
    21:00 UK Sevilla FC v Numancia Estadio

Sunday, January 18, 2009
    16:00 UK Villarreal v Mallorca
    16:00 UK Getafe v Racing Santander
    16:00 UK Recreativo Huelva v Sporting Gijon
    16:00 UK Málaga v Espanyol
    16:00 UK Real Madrid v Osasuna
    16:00 UK Valladolid v Real Betis
    18:00 UK Athletic Bilbao v Valencia
    20:00 UK Almeria v Atlético Madrid

Barcelona 1-0 up against Depor, Messi with his 21st goal this season... :pac: Gimmick is live at the Camp Nou atm, lucky ba*tard...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

2-0, Henry. Looks like we'll be setting the record for points total at the half way point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Show boating with a header and all.

:P Not a bad team Barca have really Rask...

Edit- Alves has to be the best rb in world football this year. His assist with the outside of his foot and now that cross. What a player, he's the reason Messi has been so good this year imo.

eZe^ wrote: »
    :P Not a bad team Barca have really Rask...
    Must be when you don't have room for Iniesta in the team.

Nah, only Manchester United can touch Barcelona right now. The likes of Inter, Real and Chelsea look decidedly second-rate in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

2-0, Henry. Looks like we'll be setting the record for points total at the half way point.

Thierry Henry scored a header?

I don't believe you :pac:

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Thierry Henry scored a header?

I don't believe you :pac:

Ya, it was made by Alves though, assist with a cross from the outside of boot. The header was a little like the one he scored against United at the Emirates two seasons ago actually.

Ya, it was made by Alves though, assist with a cross from the outside of boot. The header was a little like the one he scored against United at the Emirates two seasons ago actually.

Ah ok, that's fair enough.
    I'd be pretty pissed if he started showing a talent for heading at this stage..

3-0, basically because of Alves again. Eto'o with a poaching finish really. 53 goals for Barca in the league so far.

Etoo. 3-0.

3-0, basically because of Alves again. Eto'o with a poaching finish really. 53 goals for Barca in the league so far.

That really is phenomenal.

• Advertisement

Alves nearly kills Keita, beautiful

Henry really looks back to his best this season.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Alves nearly kills Keita, beautiful

Who says there's no unrest in the Barca changing room this season? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What can Messi achieve in the game? He is really unbelievable.

JPA wrote: »

Silver medals in the WPOTY and Ballon D'or rankings? :P

Gold next year or it's a joke.
    From players of our generation I've seen myself that can surpass Zidane it has to be Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think you could deny Ronaldo after the season he had, but Messi really is on another planet. No player has held the 'best player in the world' tag for more than a couple of seasons before going off the boil. Ronaldo (fatnaldo), Ronaldinho, Zidane (ok he got old).

I wonder how long Messi can keep up form like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

JPA wrote: »

Beautiful finish for the first goal!

I don't think you could deny Ronaldo after the season he had, but Messi really is on another planet. No player has held the 'best player in the world' tag for more than a couple of seasons before going off the boil. Ronaldo (fatnaldo), Ronaldinho, Zidane (ok he got old).

I wonder how long Messi can keep up form like this.

I was kidding, and I've never begrudged Ronaldo of his achievements considering his past two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oh I know you were kidding. Just wanted to say I think Messi is a league above Ronaldo (and everybody else) but Ronaldo still deserves his awards.

• Advertisement

Might as well blow the whistle. Deportivo are hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Should have let Henry get his hattrick ya big bollox.

Barca are 4-0 up, then win a penalty. Crowd starts chanting for Puyol to take it. The greedy git Eto'o takes the ball though! 5-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Barca are unreal this season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

To think Eto'o was available for 2/3 of a Keane or half a Berbatov in the Summer

Only thing to match the goals against Real would have been if Puyol scored his chance :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dfx- wrote: »
    To think Eto'o was available for 2/3 of a Keane or half a Berbatov in the Summer

Yes,he is the out and out striker Man Utd so desperately crave.Fine player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

After that display I will concede that Alves is the best RB in the world now...
    ...yes, even better than Phillip Lahm
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I avoided this thread until now, I recorded the game and just watched it now. They are awesome. Its not just Messi, its the whole team right now, Henry was superb again and Eto'o is just so clinical as well.

Its a joy to watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Osasuna 1-0 up against Real at the Bernabeu.:)

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    Osasuna 1-0 up against Real at the Bernabeu.:)
    Game was played a few hours ago, Madrid win 3-1, Ramos, Higuain and Robben...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why dont Sky show the matches live ? Its ridiculous showing them on delayed coverage.
    I guess they dont want people missing the 'Best league in the World' and 'Super Sunday' .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Game was played a few hours ago, Madrid win 3-1, Ramos, Higuain and Robben...

Just the excuse I needed to start studying! Finals start tomorrow.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Good win for Atheltic! 3-2, 90th min penalty that Llorente converted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just saw the penalty that Pepe tackled Juanfran (?) and Juanfran got a red card at 2-1. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have to say Barca were a joy to watch on Saurday night.

I actually felt sorry for Puyol when Aranzubia fouled him. It would've been a brilliant goal for him and the team.

Missed the Real match, only caught Robben's goal at the end. I thought the keeper did pretty poorly for it. He really should have saved it.

Osasuna are surely ****ed now with Athletic and Recreativo winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What was the craic with the Real Madrid game ? Ramos scored a very fortunate goal which the keeper shold have saved. No penalties. I read Marca this morning and the headline was "the ref helped madrid". So back to normal then I see.

A note on Marca recently is that their reporting has become a whole lot better with their constant criticism of Real Madrid this season. From the poor results, the Diarra-huntelaar fuvk up. Calderon stealing money, rigging the agm an then todays piece on the ref helping the team. A big swing for them. Usually everything was Real this, Real that. I dont know if they have a new editor or just adopted a new approach but whatever it is its a whole lot better than the crap they usually spew out. The ref reported Real for fascist supporters in the crowd making gestures and nazi salutes and waving fascist flags and banners. The franco loving ultra surs no doubt. The ref has been stripped of the Barca v Espanyol Copa del Rey game later this week over his performance during the Real Madrid match on Sunday.

19/01/2009 10:27
    Marca Condemn Ref And Real Madrid

Marca have continued their berating of Real Madrid with a scathing match report of the team's victory against Osasuna on Sunday, calling for the referee to resign after two disputable decisions.

Real Madrid were very lucky to beat Osasuna on Sunday as they lacked creativity and decisiveness while the referee who helped them win the game should stand down, according to Marca.

The damning verdict was handed out after Los Merengues' victory at the Bernabéu to cap a week in which the daily sports paper had played a huge role in the resignation of president Ramón Calderón.

While the referee and the players came in for criticism, the Madrid-biased publication ensured that the board were also blamed for their poor transfer policy last summer.

Madrid youth team product Juanfran, who now plies his trade with Osasuna, appeared to be fouled twice in the area but was booked for protesting and diving on both occasions, therefore, he then saw red.

Below the headline "Burrull Resign", referring to referee Alfonso Pérez Burrull, the paper were unable to offer any praise to the victors and was scathing in their appraisal of the hosts display.

"Real Madrid celebrated the resignation of Ramón Calderón with an exaggerated win against Osasuna, whose fans will want to quickly forget this game on account of the inexplicable sending off of Juanfran, a decision which deserves a big space in the museum of refereeing horrors," Marca stated.

"Pérez Burrull helped dig Osasuna's grave, without forgetting the contribution of Roberto.

"Without Guti there is not a single footballer on the team that can create the play. Perhaps Sneijder would be able to do it, but Juande Ramos has him playing on the wing to maintain the symmetry of his 4-4-2.

"[José Antonio] Camacho simply order his players to press up and flood the Madrid midfielders, who were incapable of finding Gago or Lass [Lassana Diarra] and resorted to kicking long time and again."

The report condemned Ramos for playing the same tactics as Bernd Schuster, the previous incumbent of the Madrid hotseat, in the first half and then reverting back to them after taking the lead with "a gift" of a goal from Sergio Ramos.

"With the scoreboard in Madrid's favour, Juande changed again and removed Marcelo, but [the hosts] could not avoid a new problem with Juanfran, who Pepe clearly knocked over.

"Pérez Burrull went to blow for a penalty, but after consulting with his linesman he did not give the spot-kick and instead sent the poor kid to the dressing room."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Easily the greatest performance I have ever seen live in the ground. Barcas passing and movement was sublime. I cannot overstate how much I love Xavi. The guy is a touch above any centre midfielder in the world at the moment. I agree on what has been said about Dani Alves also. Though its the first time I ever seen a right back playing a free role :). Messi was fairly quiet I thought, but he goal was superb. Toward the end of the game as well he absolutely took the piss out of 2 depor defenders with a little shimmy.

The atmosphere was fairly meh, but I am guessing that its just different to the English and Irish experience. I loved the Barca anthem as well. All in all a crazy good experience. Cannot wait to go back.

gimmick wrote: »
    Easily the greatest performance I have ever seen live in the ground. Barcas passing and movement was sublime. I cannot overstate how much I love Xavi. The guy is a touch above any centre midfielder in the world at the moment. I agree on what has been said about Dani Alves also. Though its the first time I ever seen a right back playing a free role :). Messi was fairly quiet I thought, but he goal was superb. Toward the end of the game as well he absolutely took the piss out of 2 depor defenders with a little shimmy.

The atmosphere was fairly meh, but I am guessing that its just different to the English and Irish experience. I loved the Barca anthem as well. All in all a crazy good experience. Cannot wait to go back.

Sorry about not replying to your PM man. Did you have a good weekend overall? Did you go see Barca Atletic in the Miniestadi? What pubs did you go to? Bar Virginia is usually where the boixos would drink on match days, how were your experiences of La Rambla and La Jarra? Anyone get pick-pocketed? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It was an incredible weekend. We were in bar La Jarra pre and post game. We only got there Friday so missed the cup game. Sunday was pretty much a write off after the 7am finish on Sunday morning. No one was pick pocketed, but not for the want of the trannies and blacks trying. They were hardly subtle.

I have been to the City a few times before, but that was my first game. Ill be another week recovering id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

gimmick wrote: »

#

I hope Deportivo put up a better performance this sunday against Real Madrid as I am just at to buying my tickets. Last thing I want to see is a demolition job by Real !

• Advertisement
Advertisement